• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Pac Mentality

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Most PC games don't have a physical release so that's an odd reason to boycott a PC game.

Besides the logistics of it all, Cosmic Star Heroine is going to sell for $10-$15. Trying to not lose money off of a physical version at such low prices would be very difficult.

If we were selling the game for $50 like Pier Solar, that would be a different story.

Wait you are using we, does that mean you are part of the group making it?

You misunderstand I am not boycotting you. I don't with hold a sale from you as a punitive measure. I am simply a customer who does not see a product in his or her preferred format and chose not to buy it. I just don't care to pay money for something as nebulous as data. You have to understand a lot of rpg players, especially older games tend to be collector's, myself included. Sure I would play the game if I bought, I rpgs are my favorite genre, but at the same time I want a physical copy that I put in my collection.

Look they are using kickstarter, I don't see what's so hard to make a tier $50 physical copy, if that is the issue. I would pay that, as I imagine others would. They chose to sell it as only digital, and they chose to price it at ten. Hell honestly, I would have even considered one of the higher tiers had it come with a physical copy. Some of those things are kind of cool, but at the end day we simply stand on opposite sides of the field.

And also I don't know where you got the idea of most PC games don't have a physical release. Im going to have to tell my copies of Amensia and Emily Strange that it doesn't exist (I have others as well and none of them are particularly mainstream titles yet they still have physical releases). Sure most games have both options available and some are digital only on things like steam, but most major and many minor games still get physical releases.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
Also Todd's hover quote about Lucky Wander Boy reminds me of the part in Sans Soleil where the narrator starts ruminating about how Pac-Man is a metaphor for capitalism or something
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Anyone notice that purple Pac-girl on the preview pic? It looks like Twilight Sparkle, I can't be the only one who thinks so! I can't possibly ignore it, it keeps making me go "yay, Twilight!" (the, uh, good Twilight)
Both shows use Ocean studios for their voice cast coincidentally.

Why are we talking about ponies?! Okay Pac-man. Fire Pac, Ice Pac, Metal Pac...where have I heard this before?
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Wait you are using we, does that mean you are part of the group making it?

Yes, I'm half the group making it.

Quote:
Look they are using kickstarter, I don't see what's so hard to make a tier $50 physical copy, if that is the issue.

We're not a big company with a production department. We're not even a big indie company with over a dozen people. We're two guys. If we're making a physical copy, we're making it & shipping it by hand. That's a lot of work to go to for EACH COPY SOLD when all things considered, we're likely to make about the same profit from the $10-$15 digital copy than we would from a $50 physical copy when you take into account shipping & production costs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2