• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Gainax's Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys A - think it would work on TV today? B - think that Section 23 would financially be capable of doings this?

I don't really know, but I think it'd be a great idea to give the show some exposure on Toonami, if given the right amount of advertising and marketing. People are always up for a good adventure, so I don't see why it wouldn't do well on American TV (though I don't think people will tolerate Nadia the character).

It's too old and too four-by-three for Toonami, unless they ran a cropped BD version, and I doubt they'd want to spend at least $234,000 to redub it.

Anyway, great license rescue and I'm glad to see it'll be on BluRay. Unlike V guy, I advise you to not skip a single episode of the series, even the horrible Africa episodes. Why? Because even in those subpar filler episodes, there's still a little to enjoy here and there, even if it's making fun of the lack of budget and quality checking. If you ever rewatch the series, you can excise those from your viewing, but not the first time.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
The only one I never saw was the motion picture that was included with ADV's sets that takes place after the action and before the last episode's epilogue. Heard Gainax didn't do that one, and a friend of mine said it's stupid and can be/should be skipped.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
The only one I never saw was the motion picture that was included with ADV's sets that takes place after the action and before the last episode's epilogue. Heard Gainax didn't do that one, and a friend of mine said it's stupid and can be/should be skipped.
He's not half wrong there. I bought it to complete the series, but it was quite a lack luster cash cow.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

It's really, REALLY bad. It's half recap and half side story that makes the island episodes look like a masterpiece.

I own the tin box that ADV put out, and the movie is conspicuously missing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it does have both dubs. Have them on separate videos, but it'd be easier to be together.

_V_ wrote:

Another big point is that the entire third and final season is nothing but a filler arc, which even Gainax advises people to skip

That's not to say you should "stop" at the end of Season 2 - basically they took what was *going* to be the season 2 finale, pushed it to the end of season 3, then invented about 20 filler episodes to space it out in between. They suffered from both poor writing and poor animation quality as a result. But hey, on the other hand, they're "bonus episodes" of a sort. But not relevant to the main plot.

Gainax hated HATED working for NHK doing Nadia. NHK hired Gainax, but by the middle of it, they weren't seeing eye-to-eye. By then, whenever Gainax received "recommendation" papers from NHK about how to do the series, the first thing they'd do was throw it in the trash. IIRC it's supposed to be a 26-ep series, but NHK wanted to extend it, ergo the fillers. Doing Nadia wasn't one of the happier times for Gainax.

FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys A - think it would work on TV today? B - think that Section 23 would financially be capable of doings this?

I don't really know, but I think it'd be a great idea to give the show some exposure on Toonami, if given the right amount of advertising and marketing. People are always up for a good adventure, so I don't see why it wouldn't do well on American TV (though I don't think people will tolerate Nadia the character).

After ratings disasters, Williams Street found out that viewers don't tolerate much older-looking animation, so I doubt Toonami would be interested.

Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

From what I've heard, the Streamline dub didn't finish the entire series. Heard some clips from it though. Nadia sounds kinda like Suu with a French accent and Marie, sounds exactly like Angelica.

Yep, Streamline dub didn't finish, and yep sounds French. The ADV dub, BTW, used real kids to voice Nadia and Jean (IIRC ages 13 and 12 when they dubbed it).

Mohawk52 wrote:

However if it goes to Toonami they will either air it after midnight, or edit it like they did Tenchi Muyo OVA 1. Wink

In America, Toonami only airs at night now. And they don't censor much anymore, save for nudity wherein they simply blurred the bits on Tenchi Muyo GXP. Williams Street doesn't have the time nor resources to do "digi-kini" anymore like they did Tenchi Muyo OVA. Heck, they actually leave it to the localizing companies to do the blurring.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

He's not half wrong there. I bought it to complete the series, but it was quite a lack luster cash cow.

And the ending? Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if Sentai did the same 19-episode sets as the ADV re-release simply because I have the first set but never got around to getting the second.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

And the ending? Laughing
Razz
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After ratings disasters, Williams Street found out that viewers don't tolerate much older-looking animation, so I doubt Toonami would be interested.

Really? If they don't like older-looking animation, then how does one explain Cowboy Bebop and FLCL getting reran to death?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I picked up ADV's two season sets from RightStuf a few years ago when they were selling them for 15 dollars each. It's a nice show for sure, but I'm not exactly sure I'm willing to double dip. I did hear the Japanese blurays look very nice, though. Perhaps if Sentai goes back and adds the Streamline dub as a bonus extra, that'll make me consider it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not holding my breath for this one as my experience with GAINAX has been pretty disappointing. Perhaps they were a different company before EVA, capable of producing shows that didn't "drop the ball" partway through or shows that properly realized their intriguing premise, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

Out of all the GAINAX stuff that I've seen, the show to which I'd have to award the title of "overall best" would be Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. I think that sums it up.

IMO this "big rescue" of Sentai's is only marginally more exciting than their rescue of Gatchaman, which was a big ole zero on the excitement scale.
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I'm not holding my breath for this one as my experience with GAINAX has been pretty disappointing. Perhaps they were a different company before EVA, capable of producing shows that didn't "drop the ball" partway through or shows that properly realized their intriguing premise, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

Out of all the GAINAX stuff that I've seen, the show to which I'd have to award the title of "overall best" would be Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. I think that sums it up.

IMO this "big rescue" of Sentai's is only marginally more exciting than their rescue of Gatchaman, which was a big ole zero on the excitement scale.
i cannot wait for the nadia set and i am one of those fan who actually went out and preordered gatchaman and have not been proven wrong for making that choice it is one of the best anime bluray sets i have seen.,
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Sweet but me cash flows are low
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Really? If they don't like older-looking animation, then how does one explain Cowboy Bebop and FLCL getting reran to death?

Neither show is as old as Nadia and both look much better both in staying on-model and animation quality. That and bias. Razz

I love Nadia, but man could that show look ugly at times.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I hope Sentai don't crop Nania up on Blu-Rays just like Funi did with their DBZ on Blu-Rays.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

Well you sure as hell got the short end of the stick. Laughing
That OVA better be forgotten. It really has nothing to do with The Secret of Blue Water. As idiosyncratic as it might seem to a modern anime audience, Nadia is one of those series that has a well thought out and definitive ending at episode 39. The OVA was a simple cash grab with no additional value whatsoever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5