• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singer-Songwriter Hikaru Utada to Marry an Italian Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProjectLEAF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay so..wtf does him being Italian have to do with anything?

It's an incredibly tasteless article title.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I think it's just lack of any other descriptor, since Utada herself kept it vague owing to his non-celebrity status. It's not for offense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
complimenti Cool hope she finds peace with this new guy.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
liquidblueocean wrote:
Anyone know what anime the pic is from in this article? I searched images of "Freedom" but came up with nothing like it, and the rest of the article only mentions live action stuff or Evangelion.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe it's a piece of concept art for Utada's beautiful world track she did for the Evagellion movie.

As for the news, I had no idea she was even dating an Italian guy, but I guess she does tend to stay hush, hush about her romantic life. It's good to hear that she's remarrying especially with the scandal surrounding her last marriage with people gossiping that he divorced her because Utada can't carry children (allegedly). I would imagine a European guy would be more understanding about such a matter, and it's unclear if his "big family" is a big immediate family or if he has children from a past marriage, if it's the latter it probably doesn't matter to him at all that Utada can't carry children (allegedly) so that works out even better for her. I wish her well and lots of happiness, and I hope she returns to music soon because we all miss her voice.
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
GO HIKI!
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I love "Beautiful World"--it's a gorgeous song, and Ms. Utada is extremely talented. I wish her and her fiance happiness and peace--I hadn't heard about Utada's mother before I saw this article, and I hope she finds a lot of comfort and love in her marriage.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Congrats Utada. I know you've been going to things since the passing of your mother and I hope this marriage will make you happy again.

Side note: The lack of Kingdom Hearts in this article is high.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Congrats Utada. I know you've been going to things since the passing of your mother and I hope this marriage will make you happy again.

Side note: The lack of Kingdom Hearts in this article is high.

Kingdom Hearts isn't an anime?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
Sports Nippon reported that 31-yr-old Utada’s fiance is a 23-yr-old bartender working in a hotel in London, and the two got to know each other when Utada was staying there. Last summer, he introduced her to his family who live in Fasano.

A local magazine in Fasano, reporting the news, said it was like a fairytale that a Japanese superstar and a normal boy will marry, and predicted that the town will become internationally famous, according to Sports Nippon.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Surprising. I was just thinking of her today. Mainly because I spend so much time listening to my 12-year old niece go on and on about "Morning Musume 1.4" (are 12 yr old's really this nutty about bands?).

Haven't ya noticed One Direction? Very Happy

Oh gawd, yes. When I heard they won an award for best performance some time ago, I was like "WTH are these guys? Oh, no not another boy band." Oh well. Never was one for that type of stuff. I can enjoy the music without all the doing back flips on our heads. Laughing
Books2323

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="liquidblueocean"]Anyone know what anime the pic is from in this article? I searched images of "Freedom" but came up with nothing like it, and the rest of the article only mentions live action stuff or Evangelion.[/quote]

Album art of 'Sakura Nagashi', ending song of Evangelion Movie 3.0
christian.margherita

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
She is probably best know for the music in Kingdom Hearts and you forgot to include that very important tid bit
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
The big reason why Japan and a lot of people are making a big deal over this is because Japan like many cultures still view relationships outside of ones race a taboo and not welcomed. While it's true some families don't care who dates who it's still a practice till this day. Especially in Japan where they barely tolerate bringing home a white/caucasian person.

As for the picture it was created by Sadamoto Evangelion's character designer for the single Sakura Nagashi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2