• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Eater Not Anime Trailer Introduces Tsugumi Harudori

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
The high levels of moe... it's one thing to look at a still image of it, but seeing it in motion is almost painful to watch. It feels like it's trying too hard to be on par with the other moe anime out there but fails to reach that level so what we got is something... uncomfortable. Idk, maybe KyoAni's high quality moe spoiled me.

The art style for Soul Eater Not! anime looks way more generic looking compared to the moe art style Ohkubo currently uses. Yeah, Ohkubo's art is moe, but it still looks kind of unique enough to be different from other moe art styles. The anime's art style is just way too detailed compared to Ohkubo's more simpler art. Yeah his art got more detailed over time, but it's still not THAT detailed (especially when it comes to eyes).

Another thing is the line art. Ohkubo puts a lot of emphasis on line art in his work. It's expected, he works in a media that's mostly black and white, after all. His line art is straight, kind of angular with no real softness or curves to it. The anime art, however does. It makes the anime look softer and fluffier. The difference in line art is noticeable when you compare the way eyes and hair are drawn.

In all honesty I think Kill la Kill does a better job looking like Ohkubo's moe art than the anime does. Look at characters like Mako and Honoumaru. They look a lot of like Ohkubo's style in anime form.

Overall I say the anime art is still better than Ohkubo's art, though. The line art is nicer, the quality is more consistent, and the anatomy is better too. Doesn't mean that I like it very much, though. Like I said before, the moe kind of hurts.

I was planning to watch this when it aired but I don't know, that might be a big test of endurance now. I don't know if I can handle it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, those manga faces above. I can't unsee them as pouting mouths with stick moustaches.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This should be fun for some laughs. Maka looks cute as hell in that promo. You can't deny that~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Honestly...I really don't know how to feel about this. Part of me dislikes the Moe art style mainly because it's just another factor that ultimately takes away from what I enjoyed about the first Soul Eater, like its fun characters and crazy awesomeness. While the other part of me is like "Support this so that we can get more Soul Eater stuff in the future."

I just can't bring myself to enjoy NOT as much as I do Soul Eater. I don't care that it is a cute Slice of Life series, frankly that's the part of NOT that I do like since it's an interesting look into the world of Soul Eater and how a normal student would handle it. That and it definitely comes off as the kind of series and art that Ohkubo wants to do now, and I'm willing to respect that and support him. The bad part of NOT is that it's a boring Slice of Life with nothing but cuteness and uninteresting characters that have yet to go past their archetypes. The manga has made me groan more than laugh out loud, but I'm willing to give the anime the benefit of the doubt and see if they can improve on the humor.

But all in all, I guess I'll just give the anime my "3 Episode Trial" to see if it's worth seeing the whole way through, or maybe just pop in when the episodes featuring Kim, Jackie, and the Thompson sisters come around. I don't want to completely drop it when only a trailer is out after all, no matter how much I dislike the new style.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Man, those manga faces above. I can't unsee them as pouting mouths with stick moustaches.

Crap now I can't unsee them without stick mustaches either. XD

DigitalScratch wrote:
I just can't bring myself to enjoy NOT as much as I do Soul Eater. I don't care that it is a cute Slice of Life series, frankly that's the part of NOT that I do like since it's an interesting look into the world of Soul Eater and how a normal student would handle it. That and it definitely comes off as the kind of series and art that Ohkubo wants to do now, and I'm willing to respect that and support him. The bad part of NOT is that it's a boring Slice of Life with nothing but cuteness and uninteresting characters that have yet to go past their archetypes. The manga has made me groan more than laugh out loud, but I'm willing to give the anime the benefit of the doubt and see if they can improve on the humor.

I definitely agree with this sentiment. I feel like Ohkubo is more concentrated on the moe aspect of the series rather than the comedy or the actual characters. Cuteness and adorable is fine and all but you can only get so far with just that. I've read 2 volumes of the series and some snippets of official English scanlations when Yen Press still did the simultaneously monthly translations and the characters still feel rather flat and lacking substance. And the "serious" plot moments are so sparse and spread out in the manga, I'm beginning to wonder what's even the point of having the Shaula subplot when she barely had any onscreen time and the series is supposed to be done soon.

Other than it's relation to Soul Eater and the moe, there's really not much else going for Soul Eater Not! in terms of entertainment.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Square Enix: "Hey, kids love those crazy KyoAni cartoons these days, right? What if we took a popular show... then made it look and sound like one of those series?! Wouldn't that be fantastic?!"

Seriously, though, it pains me to see Soul Eater getting its gorgeous art direction and unique tone stripped away in favor of shameless pandering. Whoever thought of this is a shill, pure and simple. I may watch a few episodes to see how badly it crashes and burns, but I have a lot better things to be doing with my life.

Can we get another season of a good show instead? Like Space Dandy? Or Aku No Hana? Please?

The shill would be Atsushi Ōkubo who created both Soul Eater and Soul Eater Not! Its a prequel set in the same universe. He wrote and illustrated both series, and characters from Soul Eater Not appear towards the end of Soul Eater.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

Also Space Dandy is getting a second season.

That has never been confirmed.

It was indeed confirmed for 2nd season. The first 13 episodes was the 1st season.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Didn't it always had cutesy art style in the ORIGINAL Soul Eater Not manga compared to its predecessor? I wonder if this is going to get a complete adaptation considering NOT is ending.

It did always have cutesy art, so I don't know why this is coming as a surprise to anyone...

Also the mangaka said that the series is ending and that he wants everyone to see the conclusion in anime form first, so I assume it will cover the entire manga.

How many chapters IS not anyway I haven't seen anything past the second volume...

Anywho as a manga I don't mind the series since it does dip into a few aspects of the SE universe that we haven't seen otherwise and since Ohkubo's the one doing some of the stuff I found entertaining in SE is still there. As an anime however I'm a little skeptical, i LIKE Ohkubo's designs better and the animation here really doesn't look like it works for me. But hey, it's only a preview and I'm definitely going to give the first 1 or 2 episodes a shot.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
rederoin wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

It was indeed confirmed for 2nd season. The first 13 episodes was the 1st season.

Source? I find it odd that none of the Japanese websites or Western anime news websites would report it. Espcailly when we are talking about big sites such as ANN and MAL.

It really just sounds like a rumour to me.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Not at all a fan of how they've made Maka look. In the original Soul Eater she looked like a grim gothic badass. In this she just looks like some generic cutesy moe girl. Even the art and animation look inferior to Soul Eater. Was sorta looking forward to this, but now I'm probably not going to bother.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Soul Eater Moe!
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I quite literally want to puke... at this thread. Not a single person has made a complaint that makes any sort of rational sense. What does "too moe" even mean?
The11Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
rederoin wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

Source? I find it odd that none of the Japanese websites or Western anime news websites would report it. Espcailly when we are talking about big sites such as ANN and MAL.

It really just sounds like a rumour to me.

https://twitter.com/liborek3/status/441181134731223040
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The11Doctor wrote:

So the only source is a tweet by some random guy? Yet none of the big western news sites reported this 'important' news about an anime aimed at the western audience?

Sounds fishy to me.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I quite literally want to puke... at this thread. Not a single person has made a complaint that makes any sort of rational sense. What does "too moe" even mean?

Have you ever seen something so cute, so saccharine that it has the opposite affect of making you gush at the cuteness and revolt over how over done and completely forced the cuteness is? That's it. That's "too moe" (for me anyway). Just as there are series that are too dark or too serious there can be series that are too moe. Some things are best done in moderation.

It's the calculated cuteness that gets to me. I've seen my share of moe anime and while they too are very cute they are cute in a way that feels more organic. The audience comes to find the characters cute by getting to know them, not only just from their looks. With Soul Eater Not, it feels like they're forcing me to think everyone is cute through design and overtly cute moe body language alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4