• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xebec Makes Robot Anime Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pangea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Another shitty shounen-mecha anime not to watch
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I wish they'd stop with the CG robots, they just look too out of place with the traditional animation.
Same here.
Quote:

Well, I'd say it reminds me more of Full Metal Panic than Votoms so far.
Reminding me of that series has really put a damper on the enthusiasm that I had for this show as now all I can think of is the "He who has the most powerful imagination wins!" and the "Yes, this mech's construction is physically impossible but so long as the pilot believes that it has structural integrity, it does" BS from Full Metal Panic, the infamous "lambda driver" rot.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Xebec, huh?

Expectations are set looooooooooooooow.

Why? They did great with Break Blade and Lagrange's first half. And those were always visual feasts throughout.

Pangea wrote:
Another shitty shounen-mecha anime not to watch

Call me crazy, but the preview made this look like "not that".
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
The way the mech designs in this barring the lead's special/prototype Mech reminds me of old Playstation Front Mission's designs.

As to the critics out there, i agree that i am not fan of usage of 3D CGI objects in a traditional animation. However, to save money they have to do it. Specially at the raving O'Taku fans who want there new animate NOW and not few years later since it takes months to make a single episode of traditional anime.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
^^^

Yes, I completely understand why they turned to CG, but that still doesn't change, for me at least, that 2D robots still looks better than putting CG robots over 2D backgrounds and characters. Just look at Transformers Energon's scenes that used 2D robots, had the anime looked like that, it would have been soooo much better, visually-speaking.

I'm worried the next Gundam series (after the more recently announced projects), will start utilizing CG on the Gundams themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2