• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 4's Seiji Kishi Helms Assassination Classroom Anime at Lerche

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction to seeing this when I saw this news this morning was this: "Wow, this team looks like it f**king terrible. I thought they were actually going to put effort into something as popular as assassination classroom."

But, I'll be fair, despite all the terrible things I've heard about Danganronpa and School Days, I haven't actually seen them *I figured just steering clear of them would be fine* and Is This a Zombie? did have some nice...lines(?) I guess...Not to mention that this team could surprise me by actually doing this series justice.

With all that in mind I'll merely say that I'm not exactly looking forward to this as much as I thought I would.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Didn't take long for someone who started with Danganronpa's game to pop up. I guess I'm one of those guys who didn't mind Devil May Cry's anime as I hadn't really played any of the games.

People who enjoyed the original work and people who have only/first seen the adaptation can't always see eye to eye, when the adaptation seems to have some merit and isn't totally awful on a first time level.

@Sam Murai and Megiddo

I feel a little better knowing that he has only given us rough works when it came to video game adaptations, though given that the ones covered were VNs and highly character driven RPGs in the sense that I don't think Persona is likely to focus on grinding and fighting in the seven islands as much as developing relationship, the reception should really be better. Visual novels remove a lot of fat that most games have too.

Thatguy3331 wrote:
My first reaction to seeing this when I saw this news this morning was this: "Wow, this team looks like it f**king terrible. I thought they were actually going to put effort into something as popular as assassination classroom."

But, I'll be fair, despite all the terrible things I've heard about Danganronpa and School Days, I haven't actually seen them *I figured just steering clear of them would be fine* and Is This a Zombie? did have some nice...lines(?) I guess...Not to mention that this team could surprise me by actually doing this series justice.

With all that in mind I'll merely say that I'm not exactly looking forward to this as much as I thought I would.

School Days has nothing to do with Seiji Kishi or Lerche and as an adaptation from the perspective of a visual novel reader, it is pretty good.

The animation isn't anything special and the characters definitely seem awful left and right, but it goes for a number of possible endings in the visual novel and gives us a fitting conclusion, though some may feel that only the last episode is good or that 11 episodes is too long to set up a punchline.

You might like it by some chance, but be aware that you could always try one of the other twenty or so endings if you don't assuming you don't mind H-games.
As3ann

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
i hope they don't screw up the casting. not from vomic nor ova. what can i expect? :""""""""
Aquaregia99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Same studio as Carnival Phantasm, I'm okay with this.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
"AssClass"? Really, people? Rolling Eyes

And I thought "Dokes" was bad. Confused
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

The opportunity kinda presented itself.

I blame anime.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I had to google "Dokes anime" and scroll through part of a Mike Toole Show (animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2013-12-15) and it still didn't make sense as a replacement for Puella Magica Madoka Magica. Madoka or Madoka Magica are fine. People say Gurren Lagann instead of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as well.

AssClass isn't great, but it is at least immediately obvious what you are talking about even if it seems dumb... "AC" has sort of been reserved by Assassin's Creed as well.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
AssClass isn't great, but it is at least immediately obvious what you are talking about even if it seems dumb... "AC" has sort of been reserved by Assassin's Creed as well.

Why not just call it "A-Class"? It gets the point across without sounding stupid or potentially offensive.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
thelastgogeta wrote:

Why not just call it "A-Class"? It gets the point across without sounding stupid or potentially offensive.

I don't actually feel that strongly about abbreviations unless the name of the series is super long like No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!/Watashi ga Motenai no wa dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! (WataMote seems to be the Japanese one of choice, don't know if there is a English pick).

I would use Assassination Classroom/Ansatsu Kyoushitsu every time, A-Class does seem like a better pick but it is shared with numerous things as well (Mercedes A-Class being one of them), sounds like a classification of skill in dozens of media and even a Mercedes A-Class anime short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8c5CQtdtgc

The short is surprisingly decent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2