• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
N.American Comic Market Reaches US$870 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Problem with DC and Marvel today, despite the movies, is that there is no long term stability. Every year brings several world or universe changing events, and then there are the reboots.

I must've miss something, but when was the last time Marvel had a reboot of any character? Do I have a different definition of reboot to others? As I've always viewed it as wiping the slate clean.

DC did it with New 52, though there were a couple of characters that partially escaped it (Batman/Green Lantern).

Also, the whole "universe changing" event tagline has become a joke for a reason. I hadn't bought a universe wide event from Marvel or DC in a long time...until Infinity, but that was down to Thanos being involved. Laughing

TarsTarkas wrote:
Another problem is there is no long term art/writing team continuity.
-snip-
Imagine if Cerebus changed artist and writer every arc.

That'd be interesting to see, for any series. Marvel and DC don't change writers every 6 months, which would be an arc. A drastic decline in sales could do it, but if that doesn't happen there have been plenty that have written a title for 3 or so years.

The days of Lee and Kirby have been gone for a long time.

Creative team hopping does happen. But not quickly when its one of the main titles out there. In recent times, Avengers, Spider-Man, Green Lantern, Batman, X-Men, Iron Man, JLA, Wonder Woman (which is going to get a new team after around 3 years) and Captain America underwent years where the writer (and sometimes artist) stayed on.

I guess it also depends on what you mean by long term. Is it Brubaker/Johns long, where they wrote Captain America/Green Lantern for close to 10 years? Or something like Fraction/Azzarello with around 3-5 years on Iron Man/Wonder Woman?

Artists tend to be less consistent. Not many are willing to sacrifice quality, so many can only do 8-10 issues a year, so they tend to swap them out to let them catch up. And, who could blame them? If you're art starts to suffer in order to make deadlines, your portfolio suffers in the long run.

Lastly, I'd say it'd be hard to compare longevity between a creator own property (like Cerebus) and a Marvel/DC title...where you're only the "caretaker" of a character, and you're time working on it would mostly be dictated on sales and not your desire or amount of story ideas you have for a character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2