• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray Slated for N. America in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Those bastards... They know my weak spot...for cowboy bebop...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Glad to see the series finally returning to the West.

Not like it's EVER been gone. DVDs were always abundantly available and never scarce until maybe the last year to year and a half, and it's practically been on TV for over a decade straight with few breaks.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
What has Funi messed with the aspect ratio on besides their first DBZ "remaster"? They seemed to learn their lesson on that and the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-rays were fantastic so I'm not sure why people think they'd do that again.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well just in time for nothing but it would be nice to get the blu-ray
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
As long as it looks clean, then I'm all for it. FLCL on Blu-Ray looked terrible IMO.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
As long as it looks clean, then I'm all for it. FLCL on Blu-Ray looked terrible IMO.
FLCL was an upscale. Bebop won't be.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
What has Funi messed with the aspect ratio on besides their first DBZ "remaster"? They seemed to learn their lesson on that and the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-rays were fantastic so I'm not sure why people think they'd do that again.
They did it with the widescreen DBZ DVDs awhile back, and then again with the DBZ Blu-Rays. They did release other 4:3 titles like YYH in 4:3 on Blu-Ray in the intervening years, but the fact that they cropped, stopped cropping, and then went back to cropping belies the narrative of "they learned their lesson and stopped." Maybe there's no need to fear cropping on every title (I don't think anyone feared Ouran HS Host Club would be 16:9, for example), but given Funi's reasoning behind the cropped DBZ Blu-Rays, there's reason to suspect that the more "mainstream" the title, the greater the chance that Funi will decide to "modernize it for today's audiences and displays." And Cowboy Bebop certainly counts as mainstream-successful, at least more than many other titles like Eureka 7 that were released uncropped.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
While Bebop was aired on TV for years with the aspect ratio altered, I doubt Funi would to that to people willing to pay for the Blu-rays, especially if they expect to sell multiple Special Editions.

The DBZ blus just sound like they were re-releasing those orange boxes on Bluray, so it was more out of laziness than actually trying to re-introduce cropped pictures. And I fail to see how Yu Yu Hakusho wouldn't have been a "mainstream" title for them. If they haven't done it to anything besides DBZ then the whining just seems unnecessary.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
I'm actually surprised they got this quick of a turnaround on it's release for Bebop.

What quick turn around? They took forever. They announced this release like a year ago. It was about damn time they released it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
What has Funi messed with the aspect ratio on besides their first DBZ "remaster"?

Besides that? Their second DBZ "remaster".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
And just before 4k. Welcome to the year 2006 and no movie packed in ? That aside at least it happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Sony Pictures still has the movie
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Freakmasta wrote:
FLCL was an upscale. Bebop won't be.

FLCL was a terrible upscale, thanks to bad decisions made by the Japanese company responsible for it. Upscales do not have to look that bad, and many do not.

And parts of Bebop technically will be, since they didn't re-render or recomposite any of the CG or digitally-processed cuts of animation (think any cut that involves one of the gates, for example). That also complicates the materials, as was touched on by someone else earlier in this thread, because of the frame rates and such. So, we're talking 1080i here, which shouldn't really be a problem, except for the inability of domestic anime studios to create 1080i Blu-ray discs without introducing DVD-esque compression artifacts.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bought a premium set of anything in a really long time.

The time has come again.

(Depending of course on what's included)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Sony Pictures still has the movie

Which sucks, because the BD released here in the States by Image Entertainment only has lossless 2-channel audio tracks. Whereas the Japanese BD get's 5.1. Hell, even Sony's *DVD* has 5.1 for both languages. Here's hoping when the license expires that a better company picks it up and gives it better treatment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5