• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Terra Formars GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
FINALLY SOMEONE POINTS OUT THE BLATANT RACISM! Geez, all the critic reviews and fans I've seen seem to miss the extremely obvious and offensive racism and stereotyping, it's disgusting.

...What racism?

The cockroaches are not racist(they aren't even black) and characters who perform racist acts do not make the work itself racist, so what i'm i missing?

That's like saying if a black-faced comedian held a sign that said "I'm not black

But they aren't even black for fucks sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWc7aVFe2sY#t=58

black =/ red-brown

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Professor Anime wrote:
I'm disappointed in the editorial staff at ANN for this review.

Sorry we let you down, Professor Anime. Are you tenured?
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
But they aren't even black for fucks sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWc7aVFe2sY#t=58

black =/ red-brown

You're taking it too literally; if you know the whole controversy behind "black-face", it's not that they just literally splashed black paint on their faces and nothing else, but that they acted out all these stereotypes and exaggerated features like bigger lips and such and made a big joke of it all, desecrating their race. Just because "they are red-brown" doesn't mean it's automatically not racist and incorrect, that's the "veiling" at work - the small, few and minute little bits that try to call foul when argued against. All the other offensive traits are clear as day.

Like Utsuro said:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

If they were giant brown roaches, that'd be a good argument. But they aren't. They don't have six legs. They don't have thoraxes. They don't have compound eyes. The only cockroach features they retain are antennas and skin color. The author even went out of his way to give them curly hair on the top of their heads, which real cockroaches don't have.

The author chose to create humanoid monsters who look like 19th Century racist caricatures of black people. Calling them cockroaches doesn't make the choice any better.

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MohaCario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
The cockroaches are clearly based on exaggerated body structures of black people....

Isn't it racist to say and a stereotype that every blackskinned man has a huge body structure ?
And everyone can be a cockroach if you "exaggerate" it.
MohaCario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
samuelp wrote:
They're cockroaches, do you seriously expect them to be like, purple or something? They're black colored. Or very dark brown at the least.

If they were giant brown roaches, that'd be a good argument. But they aren't. They don't have six legs. They don't have thoraxes. They don't have compound eyes. The only cockroach features they retain are antennas and skin color. The author even went out of his way to give them curly hair on the top of their heads, which real cockroaches don't have.

The author chose to create humanoid monsters who look like 19th Century racist caricatures of black people. Calling them cockroaches doesn't make the choice any better.

There supposed to be HUMANOID cockroaches and not just huge cockroaches. So it's obvious that they have human eyes instead of compound eyes and two legs instead of six.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
MohaCario wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
The cockroaches are clearly based on exaggerated body structures of black people....

Isn't it racist to say and a stereotype that every blackskinned man has a huge body structure ?

I also though of that it, its more racist to assume they are based on black people than the cockroaches themself.

Unless we get some proof of it being racist, i.e the author admitting it was based on black people and not the homo eretcus, I doubt I will ever change my opinion on this.
A lot of people seem to have forgotten that a lot of the old stereotypes for black people are based on the belief that black people are 'lesser' evolved humans. You know what a 'lesser' evolved human looked like? The homo eretcus.

So now we can't make any humanoid creature resemble the homo eretcus because its racist?

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Comparison:
Roach http://i.imgur.com/sh5Tt53.jpg
visualization of the homo erectus http://i.imgur.com/8zPge5S.jpg

Last edited by gedata on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that a lot of the old stereotypes for black people are based on the belief that black people are 'lesser' evolved humans. You know what a 'lesser' evolved human looked like? The homo eretcus.

You just proved everyone else's point here.

Edit to elaborate: If the author isn't overtly racist, one could say that he's ignorant. It could be chalked up to a difference between Japanese culture and experiences with Blacks versus those in America. Our history here doesn't easily allow this kind of oversight without calling out a lack of sensitivity to race issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
MohaCario wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

Obviously not "all", the author took it from a generalization and I am simply pointing out the approach that has presented itself in his work. He has created a very superficial mockery of a race by portraying all these exaggerated and falsified descriptors. I'm not the one making these shallow and derogatory exemplifications. I have friends that are black and I find this an offensive stereotyping of their race.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

You just proved everyone else's point here.

Edit to elaborate: If the author isn't overtly racist, one could say that he's ignorant. It could be chalked up to a difference between Japanese culture and experiences with Blacks versus those in America. Our history here doesn't easily allow this kind of oversight without calling out a lack of sensitivity to race issues.

I did not, its a coincidence, nothing more. Not to mention how this stereotype is from the west/europa, not Japan.

The homo eretcus is not suddenly racist because people are racist against black people. It makes no sense. The stereotype isn't even from Japan, its not a western comic.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
MohaCario wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

Obviously not "all", the author took it from a generalization and I am simply pointing out the approach that has presented itself in his work. He has created a very superficial mockery of a race by portraying all these exaggerated and falsified descriptors. I'm not the one making these shallow and derogatory exemplifications. I have friends that are black and I find this an offensive stereotyping of their race.

Can you proof that the author intended it to be racist against black people?

Because if the homo erectus is now offlimits(because its racist) then that is some of the most ridiculous Shonen Jump Weekly/pc bullshit I have ever heard.

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Ah, I get it--"These people are offended, but they're in the wrong, because the work wasn't meant to be offensive!"

Except words have meanings--intent means nothing in the face of how people perceive things. He wrote/drew it, he's responsible for how people feel afterwards, intention notwithstanding.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Not to mention how this stereotype is from the west/europa, not Japan.

The homo eretcus is not suddenly racist because people are racist against black people. It makes no sense. The stereotype isn't even from Japan, its not a western comic.

That's exactly what I said when I pointed out he may be ignorant due to cultural differences.
MohaCario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
MohaCario wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

You're sounding like you know that he was definitely inspired by black people.
I definitely don't think those are black people.

If we think about it, those cockroaches we are talking about could be the 'homo erectus' of the cockroach line.
We do remember at the end, that some of them could fly, so maybe next volume or so we get 'final' cockroaches that are less homo erectus and more cockroach.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Ah, I get it--"These people are offended, but they're in the wrong, because the work wasn't meant to be offensive!"

Except words have meanings--intent means nothing in the face of how people perceive things. He wrote/drew it, he's responsible for how people feel afterwards, intention notwithstanding.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so [expletive] what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”

― Stephen Fry

Its based of the homo erectus, not black people. The people making the connection are the racist ones. You also really expect a Japanese author to research western history to make a manga intended for the Japanese audience? And why is the homo erectus off-limits now?

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Not to mention how this stereotype is from the west/europa, not Japan.

That's exactly what I said when I pointed out he may be ignorant due to cultural differences.

Which is exactly why its not racist, because it clearly shows it based of the homo erectus and not black people.

Unless the homo erectus itself is racist, but thats just pc/Shonen Jump Weekly bullshit that I will refuse to accept.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10