• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Powered-Up Forms That Are More Weird Than Awesome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, the only crazy power up that I can think of is Tatsuo Nagumo's transformation to the "over fiend". An ordinary flesh made HS kid carrying a damn god or destruction inside. Transform into a being as big as Godzilla or bigger, sporting several pairs of "one-eyed" trouser snakes, capable of bringing on the end of civilization. That should have been at #1
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
When you think of characters' weird transformations, the Utena movie comes to mind.
Gehirn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
What about Frieza's third form way weirder than the great ape?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
I think all seven of them are weird but one of the weirdest I think are the wedding dress forms from "Wedding Peach." I agree with the fact is that you can hardly fight in those things! I have no idea why the creator of this series did that. I wish someone would give me a good reason.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
Just to defend it- Wedding Peach is an AWESOME anime. Like seriously. It had a great story and characters. It's very different from Sailor Moon in many of its elements. Just because it's a magical girl anime doesn't mean it's a Sailor Moon knock-off. Honestly, I would say that Sailor Moon, Wedding Peach, and Tokyo Mew Mew are three of the best fighting magical girl anime ever.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
I love Wedding Peach but yeah, the wedding dresses were ridiculous. They look cute and adorable so I don't mind Cool

And also I voted for Xenogears as my favorite Square-enix game, it's really excellent in terms of story and gameplay Very Happy Too bad a remake is never going to happen..
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
What, no love for No Face?
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Ranma1/2's Pantyhose Taro

His cursed form is part yeti, part bull, part eel, part crane, and part octopus.

-"Weird. Yeah, I guess that is the word for it. Weird."
kushiel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Can I count the Ivalice games as a Squeenix franchise? There's a couple different RPG genres in there, but it's the world and themes that are consistent. They were the next step up in maturity and complexity plot-wise for the kids who grew up with FF7/8.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
My favorite more-weird-than-scary power-up form has to be Bleach's Szayelaporro Granz, the 8th Espada. His 'Resurrección' (zanpakuto) is called "Fornicarás" (which he swallows), he restores himself by eating his minions, and his release form is like nothing so much as a psychedelic acid-trip butterfly. All this before the grotesque way in which he reproduces himself.

This column needed one more edit check before going to press:
7) 'to absorb on "Blutz Waves" from the moon' -- should be just 'absorb', 'on' isn't needed.
6) 'psychic children with pallor skin' -- should be 'pallid', which is the adjective; 'pallor' is the noun that describes the condition
3) 'Not to be mistaken with' should be either 'mistaken for' or 'confused with'.
The next use of the title makes the warned-against mistake.
'a eroge' should be 'an eroge'
'if you went into the show blind like I did' - 'as I did' is preferable.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:
Favorite Square Enix video game... does Symphonica Grand Maestro count? *not a gamer*

No, it wouldn't count since it's a music game and not an RPG (role playing game). The question was what's your favorite Square Enix RPG franchise?

I personally wish Parasite Eve was on the list, but that's more of a Survivor Horror title with RPG elements and not a RPG.

In then end, I went with Chrono Trigger, since I loved Chrono Cross.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hunter x Hunter, Killua's family has an old lady who's been a servant for years, Tsubone. She transforms into motorcycles etc but needs her granddaughter to ride her to make her move. Creepy.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Titan Form SNIP Titan Form SNIP Titan Form SNIP

Well, at least this is one step to criticising on of the many things of Attack on Titan IMO Rolling Eyes

One plot element they always forget is that titans are super hot overexagerated giant zombies, while the very few are unengaging teenagers that SHOULD have a super sentai like style of kombat. So it would be kinda impossible to have a good set of hair like that. Or even Annie for that matter. Now Connie as one would be the most plausible Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The Xam from Xam'd are kinda creepy. But that's not a series that people often think about, so I am not surprised it didn't make the list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3