• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Times Hatsune Miku Jumped the Shark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Surprised at the lack of "bacon-wrapped hot dog"
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Given some of the options available in this week's poll, I imagine some people out there might not have been impressed with the question. Because I don't think they're referring to the chicken kind... unless it's been recently choked.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree with many of the people who panned the Hatsune Miku appearance on David Letterman,including EricJ2. I don't know what song she was singing. I couldn't understand what she was singing about. Maybe they should have something to make it more easier for Americans to understand. They could have done some songs like "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes,"Baby,Baby" by Amy Grant,songs like that. Even if it's done in a Japanese accent. I think that it could been handled in a much better way.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt they would want to pay the rights fees to perform either of those songs.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Surprised at the lack of "bacon-wrapped hot dog"

That one, out of all the clueless "So, she's supposed to be, like, one of those goofy trendy things over there?" Toyota Super Bowl ads (prompted, likely, by Toyota's sponsorship of the LA concert), I would've picked for the list. Yeesh.

The "Somebody draws her on CGI" ad, OTOH, has some redeeming in-character cuteness. Smile
s33kandd3str0y

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so this new survey talking about what food we like to eat while watching anime... one of the options seems pretty uhhhhhh rated X, unless they are referring to Chicken....(-‸ლ)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
So far as I can tell, Miku opening for Lady Gaga has gotten some rather mixed reactions. A LOT of the videos I've watched that audience members recorded usually have nearby people either shouting "what the bleep is this?" or outright boo'ing at her.

Heh, I would've imagined there'd be people booing at any performance, since music fans tend to be the hipsterest hipsters of all. Then again, Miku is likely the single nerdiest musical performance this show has ever had. Or maybe they're booing because of the song choice.

I was expecting her to sing in English, but I was also expecting that distinctive voice of hers.

And for the people utterly confused (and maybe angry or confused), maybe there should've been some explanation that this sort of performance is very popular in Japan right now. That'd make them even more enraged.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Um... am I mistaken or did I see "cock" as one of the things to eat listed in the survey? Shocked
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
ninja noir wrote:
Um... am I mistaken or did I see "cock" as one of the things to eat listed in the survey? Shocked
I noticed that too. Laughing
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
From some of the posts here, I think I should look at the poll again. I just like for the "don't eat anything" option, ignoring all others. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that was added automatically, since it was not among the original choices. Very Happy
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
Yes, ANN really needs some kind of filtering on user-submitted answers to this kind of poll.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Yes, ANN really needs some kind of filtering on user-submitted answers to this kind of poll.

It needs users who don't think giggling third-grade boys are master comedians.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
To give CFM (or whoever handles official Miku PR) credit, Miku Dayo's been salvaged pretty spectacularly - the inclusion of Miku Dayo as a gag head accessory and later a DLC module for Project Diva indicates they're more than aware of the resulting meme and decided to just roll with it.

Then again, as Vocaloid's entire popularity rests on internet culture, I guess this is to be expected.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Aster Selene wrote:
To give CFM (or whoever handles official Miku PR) credit, Miku Dayo's been salvaged pretty spectacularly - the inclusion of Miku Dayo as a gag head accessory and later a DLC module for Project Diva indicates they're more than aware of the resulting meme and decided to just roll with it.
EricJ2 wrote:
(And am I the only one on the PS3 Diva F game who worked to earn 393939 points to buy the giant Mikudayo head for the character, and put it on her for the "Tell Your World" video? Laughing )

(Okay, how about just putting it on Miku or Luka for the "Acute" video? Laughing )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5