• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Ring of Terror

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How come you don't see that coming from other countries? Why doesn't the United States ever release a game where, say, you play as Andrew Jackson kicking butt and taking names in the War of 1812?

I think historians and educators might flip their lid if they saw that. But then again, Assassins Creed 3 happened without an issue.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
And the Japanese ones don't?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. That would make a good game, I liked the movie. President Lincoln putting down hordes of minion vampires while looking for the Master.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
And the Japanese ones don't?

I have no idea TBH.

I'm kinda wondering how well a Revolutionary War version of Dynasty Warriors would go over. You'd play it!
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wait, I thought the Americans aren't getting anything at all for OR/AS. Well, there's 20 Potions, but that isn't a peripheral nor a toy.

Or is that part of your point?

He probably meant the EU version which is getting a figure.

Quote:
How come you don't see that coming from other countries? Why doesn't the United States ever release a game where, say, you play as Andrew Jackson kicking butt and taking names in the War of 1812?

I wonder if the whole sensitivity/white guilt thing is an issue. If a game tried to glorify the people and era where white men slaughtered Native Americans, stole their land, then enslaved black people for generations and you'd probably gain the ire of a few groups, especially when games are already hotbeds for controversy over every little thing. There's always wild west games, I suppose.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. That would make a good game, I liked the movie. President Lincoln putting down hordes of minion vampires while looking for the Master.

I just couldn't get into it. Yes, I can deal with Honest Abe hacking away at the undead, and him fighting a secret war during the Civil War was funny and cool.

But you expect me to believe in a skinny Mary Todd? Hell no! That girl needed more junk in the trunk.
samsonium

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Valkyria Chronicles is now available on Steam for pre-order. Will be released on Nov. 11th. Price is $20 with 10% off for pre-orders.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I just couldn't get into it. Yes, I can deal with Honest Abe hacking away at the undead, and him fighting a secret war during the Civil War was funny and cool.

But you expect me to believe in a skinny Mary Todd? Hell no! That girl needed more junk in the trunk.

Is it like a Ferrari where the trunk is situated at the front instead of the back?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I'm kinda wondering how well a Revolutionary War version of Dynasty Warriors would go over. You'd play it!

I'd like to see a presidential version of Dynasty Warriors. Andrew Jackson would be playable, as would George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, Dwight Eisenhower, Abraham Lincoln, Zachary Taylor, and such. Maybe Franklin Roosevelt can get a super-wheelchair. And William Harrison would have a "What if?" scenario.

Fedora-san wrote:
I wonder if the whole sensitivity/white guilt thing is an issue. If a game tried to glorify the people and era where white men slaughtered Native Americans, stole their land, then enslaved black people for generations and you'd probably gain the ire of a few groups, especially when games are already hotbeds for controversy over every little thing. There's always wild west games, I suppose.

Heh, yeah, something like that would cause an uproar. I was thinking more of stuff like the Battle of New Orleans, where he fought against the British.

I noticed these Japanese historical games would throw in mythological stuff too. Maybe wendigos could show up in the French and Indian War!
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Stuart Smith wrote:
Japanese versions of peripherals and toys are generally much higher quality than American ones. The pre-order figure for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are a good example, as are the differences in Super Sentai/Power Rangers toys, or Disgaea 4 being packaged with a Nendoroid in Japan while the american version got a cheap trading figure.

Wait, I thought the Americans aren't getting anything at all for OR/AS. Well, there's 20 Potions, but that isn't a peripheral nor a toy.

Or is that part of your point?

Part of his point, I presume, though Gamestop customers ARE getting the ORAS posters instead of figures. Europe is getting figures, but they're completely different from the awesome Japanese figures.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
For those who aren't sure which game to buy or wait for, Harvest Moon: the Lost Valley (aka the ripoff imitation game that's not actually Harvest Moon) or Story of Seasons (the actual sequel in the Harvest Moon series), there's a post here explaining some differences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2