• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki to Attend Honorary Oscar Ceremony in L.A.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki to Attend Honorary Oscar Ceremony in L.A.

We'll believe it when we see it!

Though he's retired now, so he has no excuse.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

And based on all the other stories about him, I assume Miyazaki is coming to America MAINLY to see Cars 3 and make out with John Lasseter who convinced him to stop by the Academy (and maybe mention Cars 3 in his speech).

I don't get their bromance. Why the fudge would Miyazaki support a movie about anthropomorphic cars polluting the environment with their exhaust and crap.

Lasseter has the creative imagination of a 4 year old boy. "I'll make a movie about toys! Then bugs! Then cars! Then planes!" If Thomas the tank engine didn't exist he'd be doing that to.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: His excuse is that he's older, and he might not be able to handle long plane trips like he used to.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

Lasseter has the creative imagination of a 4 year old boy. "I'll make a movie about toys! Then bugs! Then cars! Then planes!" If Thomas the tank engine didn't exist he'd be doing that to.

To quote Gintoki from Gintama, "The best way to live a full life to to be a child, no matter what your age." I like Lasseter and all the other directors at Pixar, they bring out my inner child.
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
acetatsujin wrote:
This dude needs to retire already. I only like 3 of his movies, the rest are not interesting.

We don't live in the past anymore.

Educate yourself kid. I bet you are like 14 years old to speak like that, if not even worst.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Drac wrote:

Because a movie's quality rests solely on the director. Sorry I don't have a dumb internet meme to accompany this post.

Unless the staff of those movies are identical otherwise, after about three movies, it should be pretty clear that it IS the director.

He has 3 types of Movies he likes to make; Environmental, Nasaca, Princess Mononoke, Anti-war, Howl's Moving Castle, The Wind Rises, and Down the Rabbit Hole stories like, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol: His excuse is that he's older, and he might not be able to handle long plane trips like he used to.

Send him a first-class ticket. It's nice and relaxing. Better than some office stress. Laughing
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
Well hey it's more than Godard did and Miyazaki has farther to go.

Too bad the honorary Oscars are no longer at the Oscars because we need more time for the Academy's idea of "special entertainment".

Edit: actually I take that back about plane times for Miyazaki and Godard I forgot they would both be flying to the West coast not sure who has the longer ride (since I live here I tend to think on east coast terms)
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quote
I always find the disdain that more "hardcore" anime fans often display for Miyazaki on this and other sites rather strange. He's easily the most acclaimed and beloved anime director in the world, and even if you're not a huge fan yourself, for the past decade and a half he's basically been single-handedly responsible for Western critics and general movie-goers having a much more positive view on anime in general. At least show a little respect, eh?
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
I always find the disdain that more "hardcore" anime fans often display for Miyazaki on this and other sites rather strange. He's easily the most acclaimed and beloved anime director in the world, and even if you're not a huge fan yourself, for the past decade and a half he's basically been single-handedly responsible for Western critics and general movie-goers having a much more positive view on anime in general. At least show a little respect, eh?

Totally agree. It's like me and Disney. Honestly, I'm pretty sick of most of their movies today and think that Frozen is one of the most overrated pieces of mediocrity of all time apart from its animation. HOWEVER, I understand their appeal and why they've been in business for so long. Not only that, but if it weren't for Disney, you wouldn't have people like Tezuka or Miyazaki. They were the pioneers in Western animation, just like Miyazaki was a pioneer for Japanese animation.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
You guys are so mean. You're like bullies on the playground. Except most of you are actually middle aged men who do freelance programming while finding time to masturbate to anime characters on the side.

Kidding.

But not really.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I don't get their bromance. Why the fudge would Miyazaki support a movie about anthropomorphic cars polluting the environment with their exhaust and crap.

There, there, let it out. Have a good cathartic cry and a primal scream.
The Cars 2 healing process is a long and painful period... Rolling Eyes

(Just don't spend three freakin' years about it, okay?)

Quote:
Lasseter has the creative imagination of a 4 year old boy. "I'll make a movie about toys! Then bugs! Then cars! Then planes!"

And unicycles, that's how it started between the two.
(And if you'd seen Pixar's attempt to do people back in the early Toy Story 1 90's, you'd know why he sticks to objects. And I'll let someone else nitpick that they didn't do the Planes movies, which are actually pretty good.)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Drac wrote:

Because a movie's quality rests solely on the director. Sorry I don't have a dumb internet meme to accompany this post.

Unless the staff of those movies are identical otherwise, after about three movies, it should be pretty clear that it IS the director.

He has 3 types of Movies he likes to make; Environmental, Nasaca, Princess Mononoke, Anti-war, Howl's Moving Castle, The Wind Rises, and Down the Rabbit Hole stories like, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro.

The Wind Rises is not a normal Miyazaki film. It is intensely about the main character and little else. The war and other things are important to the film in the way the main character reacts to them (or doesn't).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:

Miyazaki is talented and has an impressive portfolio, but he IS overrated (like Cowboy Bebop) to the point of near lampoon. I think others like Mamoru Hosoda have had an impact recently, so saying he's "been basically single-handedly responsible" is overstating it just a bit. His Oscar win WAS a big deal, but he's not the Alpha&Omega. And the fact is that he hasn't put out a truly noteworthy movie (outside of Japan) SINCE Spirited Away (or MAYBE Howl's Moving Castle).

Outside of his proponents being too effusive about him, my only real issue is that he wears his passions on his sleeve and is a bit TOO heavy-handed about pointing them out. (but that said, as much as I respect John Lasseter (and kidding aside, I do respect him and what he's done re: feature animation) the guy is weirdly over-board with his Miyazaki fandom and Miyazaki is surprisingly (for a curmudgeon) amenable to Lasseter. The previous time he came to America is was supposedly COMPLETELY because his "good friend" john asked him to.
JayHosh wrote:
You guys are so mean. You're like bullies on the playground. Except most of you are actually middle aged men who do freelance programming while finding time to masturbate to anime characters on the side.

I work fulltime, not freelance, thank-you-very-much. Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Well, that leaves only the Big Plane movies, for Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky. (So guess we can reclassify Wind Rises.) Razz

HeeroTX wrote:
His Oscar win WAS a big deal, but he's not the Alpha&Omega. And the fact is that he hasn't put out a truly noteworthy movie (outside of Japan) SINCE Spirited Away (or MAYBE Howl's Moving Castle).

Basically, although Spirited was his "essential" film, where directorial style X&Y intersected with his approachable audience appeal (with Kiki as his more populist favorite, and Totoro as the studio-iconic classic), it was the last of his "old" period of exploring cute story ideas, and just before his Grumpy Old period of putting story aside to just assemble some ideas about old Japan and the war. Howl's Moving Castle was the first movie in his later phase, where he just recycled his old anti-war licks, and did occasional whole-earth ruminations on "oo, isn't magic weird?" that we weren't really supposed to understand in the first place. (Qv. Earthsea, Ponyo)
The Oscar was a big deal because at that '01 point, nobody had heard of Miyazaki by name except for those scared off by Princess Mononoke in theaters--The same parents who already owned Totoro and Kiki on disk for their kids, from the Fox/Troma release and the Disney dub, they just didn't know who directed them, just that they were better than Disney videos.
And if Spirited didn't have such a "Japanese-looking" plot, it wouldn't have focused as much attention on the "foreign director" aspect of it.

Quote:
Outside of his proponents being too effusive about him, my only real issue is that he wears his passions on his sleeve and is a bit TOO heavy-handed about pointing them out. (but that said, as much as I respect John Lasseter (and kidding aside, I do respect him and what he's done re: feature animation) the guy is weirdly over-board with his Miyazaki fandom and Miyazaki is surprisingly (for a curmudgeon) amenable to Lasseter. The previous time he came to America is was supposedly COMPLETELY because his "good friend" john asked him to.

When Lasseter did the "You're gonna love this!" intros, he was sounding exactly like the pre-00's college fans who carefully guarded their Totoro, Kiki and Nausicaa VHS fansubs under lock and key (afraid they might disappear forever), and lent them out to new "converts" who had never heard of them.
When Spirited Away fever hit in '01, audiences had heard of only one of Miyazaki's movies, and there were a lot of reasons for Lasseter to bring out his old geek club-fan evangelism now that the entire studio was behind him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3