• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga's Tezuka Kickstarter Fails to Meet US$380,000 Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
Maybe they can redo this, but downscale it a bit. Offer the first three volumes of one series, and unlock additional volumes via stretch goals.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised by this. There were just too many obstacles for it to work. From the structuring, alienating people, and timing. I own Barbara and Unico from DMP. I think those titles are both well done. Knowing that the Tezuka people are stricter in their approvals makes me more confident in being satisfied with the Tezuka books than others from Digital Manga as well. Still, I have to say I'm sorry I didn't pledge due to the timing. And I was concerned by this statement:
http://www.digitalmanga.com/blog/3873/follow-up-answer-to-tezuka-ks
Quote:

4. Will there be a sufficient print run to supply the market if the kickstarter gets funded?

If the first goal gets funded, there will be enough to supply books to the backers first and foremost… depending on how much gets funded after the first goal, will determine the print run will be if any for the open market.

Please note: Books being distributed to the open market will be released one volume at a time over a period of 2-3 years vs. through the campaign you’ll get it all at once

For a company that has a reputation of delays, poor distribution and small print runs (though they've said they have increased the sizes recently) that cause many books to go OOP within a few months, anyone who pledged smaller amounts, or couldn't pledge would be facing a fight to get books. And I know hardcore Tezuka fans especially want nice physical editions.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I find people are getting wary and over saturated from kickstarter. I didn't even hear about this project. However Tezuka's The Creator was successfully funded in June of last yr and yet not a single backer has received anything from that campaign.

It was obvious from the start that those guys had no clue at all what they were doing. Did people really expect them to do all that with an original goal of $5,000?

The problem with this kickstarter was it wasn't advertise at all(ANN didn't even have a story that the kickstarter launched). Along with trying to do too much.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
^ANN *did* report this Kickstarter's launch. Another poster put up all the links--it was reported on ANN and Crunchyroll, and I'm pretty sure The Fandom Post and other anime/manga and comics news sites. I saw people talking about it on Twitter. The sentiment was basically that Digital Manga wanted too much money, and the goal was way too ambitious for a single Kickstarter. I'm not surprised that it failed, but I'm not happy about it, either. If they really want Tezuka fans to fund the print run of books that they got the rights to, they have to make the goals reasonable and do a few volumes at a time.

But, to be honest, Digital Manga is too reliant on Kickstarters. They got the rights to Tezuka's catalog, they should take on the responsibility and costs of printing everything. Vertical and Viz never had a Kickstarter to publish Tezuka, and Vertical has done a *much* better job of releasing the books in a way that fans could actually acquire nice volumes (except those damn Adolf covers. I hate those). Viz let the stuff go out of print, but Vertical worked on getting the digital rights so that even if volumes are oop, fans can still have legal access in some way. Vertical has been the best Tezuka publisher, and if Digital Manga can't handle even one new print run with out a Kickstarter, maybe they should give Vertical the rights and see how proper publishing can be done! Seriously, asking for over $100 just to get a print book award (when you're not even planning to print enough books for non backers to buy them) is outrageous! What were they thinking?!
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
They got the rights to Tezuka's catalog, they should take on the responsibility and costs of printing everything

I think they said they don't have the rights to the books. Think the video explained that the high price is covering the licensing fee for the series, paying the workers, and the print run

The one think I found BS is that the owner of DMP said his also put his traveling cost into the KickStart to get his money back from all the trips to Japan he had to make

DMP really needs to do something to become a better publishing company
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
j talbain:
Quote:
However Tezuka's The Creator was successfully funded in June of last yr and yet not a single backer has received anything from that campaign.

Yeah, I have a feeling The Crater people not delivering is a factor in why that failed. I've said Digital Manga should just bail 'em out. Though they claim they can't do anything about it.

Mel: They just tweeted that they actually were initially considering a survey, which might be a better idea in retrospect.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
But, to be honest, Digital Manga is too reliant on Kickstarters. They got the rights to Tezuka's catalog, they should take on the responsibility and costs of printing everything. Vertical and Viz never had a Kickstarter to publish Tezuka, and Vertical has done a *much* better job of releasing the books in a way that fans could actually acquire nice volumes
Such a shame Vertical dropped it i coudn't care less what Vertical is publishing now for the most part but back then they where my favourite publishing company.
They may never have intended to publish everything and they weren't that fast with Tezuka releases either but stuff was coming out.
Still think Vertical should at least have taken Alabaster because that would have been a new york times best seller (top 3) no questions asked they really misjudged that one.

But DMP is making me grazy with all those kickstarters and it being very hard to find only a bit later on in retail only to supply the the hardcore fans or something while this stuf can actually make the New York best seller list.
They are pretty stupid not willing to invest a little and make back way more later on.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
But, to be honest, Digital Manga is too reliant on Kickstarters. They got the rights to Tezuka's catalog, they should take on the responsibility and costs of printing everything. Vertical and Viz never had a Kickstarter to publish Tezuka, and Vertical has done a *much* better job of releasing the books in a way that fans could actually acquire nice volumes
Such a shame Vertical dropped it i coudn't care less what Vertical is publishing now for the most part but back then they where my favourite publishing company.
They may never have intended to publish everything and they weren't that fast with Tezuka releases either but stuff was coming out.
Still think Vertical should at least have taken Alabaster because that would have been a new york times best seller (top 3) no questions asked they really misjudged that one.

But DMP is making me grazy with all those kickstarters and it being very hard to find only a bit later on in retail only to supply the the hardcore fans or something while this stuf can actually make the New York best seller list.
They are pretty stupid not willing to invest a little and make back way more later on.

Vertical is hand has to be very careful of what it publishes. Gundam The Origin might be keeping them afloat right now. I think DMP just offered Tezuka productions an deal for the whole lot. And by looking at the goal for this Kickstarter well they offered them a lot of cash for everything.
plague1ftw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm willingly to buy all Tezuka but not at 20$ a book x 30, that's unreasonable. I backed other DMP projects before but I also agree that I'm tired of their KS strategy. They should just take the risk and publish stuff the normal way. I'm sure some titles would sell very well, on the other hand not everything from Tezuka is gold (I dislike most of his early works and Astro Boy). I don't see the need to publish absolutely everything. Stay to selected good works.
F-Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Can we go back to funding the Dororo anime on Anime Sols now. There's no reason that measly $2,700 goal shouldn't be reached a single day instead of so many months.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2