• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara!!×2 English Dub to Premiere March 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Glad these broadcast dubs are becoming more of a trend. It's on Hulu too, where I wish FUNi would stream their dubs. Also glad to see they're going union with this and bringing all of the original cast back! Hope Viz, Sentai, and Crunchyroll get on the simuldub band wagon!

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Now if only Sentai could learn a thing or two from the efficiency of their competitors.
Why blindly follow the pack on something that may not ultimately bring the results that really matter: physical sale increases. It took them a while before they dipped their toes into the CE/LE market and they should take their time before jumping into the "broadcast dub" trend.

it's a small world, the western anime industry, friends hang out and share.
'Blindly following the pack' would be way better than what Sentai have going on now.

That being said, I'm not saying they should jump straight in to doing broadcast dubs. I'm just pointing out the fact that other companies are producing English dubs of far better quality with a far shorter waiting time. And I hope to God that Sentai are at least taking a few notes from all this so they can improve themselves.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
In this case it's probably easier on Aniplex since most of the characters were already cast years ago (which bypasses that step for all but the new characters) and Durarara proved it can do moderately well in the US the first time around, unlike Funimation taking risks on mainly new IPs. Makes sense to dip their toes into the pool with Durarara.

Funny enough, this now leaves Yatterman Night as the only show I've really been watching this season that isn't getting a broadcast dub.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to hear Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, and Bosch's crazy Izaya, etc. all back. I loved them in their roles.

And the banter with Blum, Mela, and Brian was so good lol.

Not to mention the Celty and Shinra scenes in the first season dub.

Seconding the above, I'm also curious who's going to be the dub voice for Vorona.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Well that fast for them
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Even Aniplex are getting involved, is it likely that Sentai will join in. It will be nice to see Steve Blum again, haven't seen him in an Anime since the first season of Durarara.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
YES! No more subs! Well, I'll be finishing the season with subs of course, but nothing can beat this cast of talented actors. I'm so thrilled Aniplex is going to be doing this Broadcast Dub. I really hope they do more the in the future.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nisekoi given the same treatment. All they need to do is actually give it a dub. I swear it would sell like hotcakes.

Cannot wait to hear the cast again!
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Well I definitely won't be watching my beloved DRRR!! without Daisuke Ono, Kana Hanazawa, Hiroshi Kamiya, Miyuki Sawashiro etc... But it's still interesting to see AoA responding to Funi in such a swift manner. A wild first guess would be that they're not gonna let Funimation steal any potential audience with this.

If broadcast dubs in the end still doesn't work out economically AoA won't get hit nearly as hard as Funi, due to the differences in sheer volume.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
YES! No more subs! Well, I'll be finishing the season with subs of course, but nothing can beat this cast of talented actors. I'm so thrilled Aniplex is going to be doing this Broadcast Dub. I really hope they do more the in the future.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nisekoi given the same treatment. All they need to do is actually give it a dub. I swear it would sell like hotcakes.

So why are you prefer dub and not the subs?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Cool stuff, though I wonder what it means for the possibility of it getting broadcast on Toonami. I enjoyed the first season quite a bit, and I gladly would have bought it if not for *insert beaten dead horse here*.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
infamoustakai wrote:

So why are you prefer dub and not the subs?

Maybe infamoustakai wants to be able to take in more of the anime by watching the whole screen rather than reading the words at the bottom. Perhaps they feel English being spoken immerses them in the world of Durarara!! better.

Or maybe they just prefer the English cast voices to the Japanese. Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum and Kari Wahlgren among others is a top-notch cast(as is the seiyuu cast).
yappers4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was going to be dubbed eventually, but I never would have guessed it would be done this early and would air on Toonami instead.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well I definitely won't be watching my beloved DRRR!! without Crispin Freeman, Michelle Ruff, Johnny Yong Bosch, Kari Wahlgren etc... I'm just surprised that AoA was able to produce an English dub this quickly. Just two months after the first episode started airing in Japan. I wonder how they'll handle the other two cours.

A shame that the first season didn't do so well on Adult Swim, or so I heard. I personally find it suspicious how the people who make such claims don't provide actual numbers to support them, but that's neither here nor there.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This is also a cheaper way to watch the dub than fetching over high prices when AoA releases it on DVD/BD.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
If Isaac and Miria make cameos again, they better get J. Michael Tatum and Caitlin Glass to play them this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3