• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Mad Re-Imaginings of Alice in Wonderland

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Just as a note about the shojo poll. Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun, despite its name, is NOT shojo OR josei. It's a comedy running in a shonen magazine, and happens to have lots of female fans. Shojo is aimed at a younger female audience (examples: Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew, Watashi ni XX Shinasai, etc). Josei is more serious/adult manga aimed at adult women (Chihayafuru (maybe), Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Bokura ga Ita). I saw it on the poll and was like WUT. The author's other manga Oresama Teacher is definitely shojo, though.

This will be addressed in the separate write-up. There appears to be some "controversy" over it (if you can call it that) since it was an entry included in the original Japanese poll example ours is based on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Even though I watched the first episode of Nozaki-kun, then never got around to watching more, it's definitely one of my favorite shoujo series I've ever seen (the others being Ouran High School Host Club and School Rumble). I thought the Hitachiin twins were adorable.
lys

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
but in recast roles with Marianne, The Lizard's previous maid, playing a more prominent role.

(Uh, the Rabbit's previous maid. The Lizard was just kicked out of a chimney.)

I'm glad another Alice fan/snob caught this before I had a chance to comment :) Also, it's spelled Mary Ann (unless the manga translation changed it, I guess...).

Self-proclaimed Alice fan/snob though I am, "Alice in Murderland" is currently my favourite Alice-inspired Japanese work. Not that it has very much in common with the original story, but I think it's a good example of Kaori Yuki at her most gleefully ridiculous, and she takes a more interesting (and interested) approach to Alice than "Let's turn everyone into hot guys!" And she's been writing weird manga inspired by world folklore and literature for ages, so it feels more legitimate than some of the other series jumping on the current trend.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Considering my mother's love of these stories, some of the more raunchier interpretations have long creeped me out.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun should be shonen as it is released by Gangan Online.
The problem is that it started to be released later (did i get this right) by The Romance Web Girly too but this doesn´t supersede the demographic.

I hate the way japanese publishes treat demographics so much... That write up will be fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Came for Miyuki Chan & Pandora hearts, was not disappointed Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
I am very surprised Alice in the Country of.... wasn't on the list especially since there are manga only entries. Glad to see Miyuki-chan mentioned though.

I could never get into Are You Alice? It didn't seem to have much plot and the characters bored me. I gave up on it after 4 volumes when I realised I was just buying it for the sake of it, not because I was actually enjoying it.
Maokun

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote
Surprised that Rozen Maiden didn't make it. It doesn't have any of the narrative themes but a lot of the aesthetics associated with it, which is a stronger reference than some of the titles that made it into the list.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
I've got no problem with The List, but some "honorable mentions" could be...

- I agree with @yuna49 - Mahou Shoujotai Arusu

- And like @Maokun pointed out, Rozen Maiden has all sorts of Alice references, white rabbits, chess boards, and of course, an Alice Game

- Madoka actually has many Alice in Wonderland references. Madoka and Sayaka wander into Gertrud's rose garden and they are called weeds and Gertrud orders her minions to "chop off their heads". Tons of chess board and mirror references. Also, Sayaka's room is decorated in rabbits. You could argue that Kyubei is a twisted sort of white rabbit who leads girls into another land.

- There's that psychedelic Slayers episode where all the characters wake up as Alice in Wonderland characters

- In Ergo Proxy, Pino reads the book Alice in Wonderland throughout the series, dresses up like a Cheshire cat (the colors are exactly like Disney's version sans the stripes), Vincent has a mad tea party, the soldiers in one dome are compared to the "playing card soldiers", the characters ride a ship called the "rabbit", and clocks (I'm late, I'm late) are also a big deal.

- Okay, this one not so much, but whenever I get the chance I want to plug in the underrated show, Fantastic Children. One of the side-characters is named Alice and she stumbles into a strange world.

Fun list! Thank you!
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Woooww I've loved Lain for years and it never occurred to me that Alice's story line could be considered a retelling of Alice in Wonderland. My mind has been blown today lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2