• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoamFree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
If I listen to the Beast Player Erin Ed on its own, there's some dashes of Randy Newman sprinkled throughout.

Besides "Don't Say Lazy" and "Dear My Friend", my favorite 2009 EDs are: M/elody (from Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.) by Tsuji Shion (has a good ENG dub), the two EDs from Shangri-La by Midori (one upbeat mid-tempo, the other downbeat and waltzing) and Suteki na Kajitsu (from Ristorante Paradiso) by Lisa Komine; this show is great for a middle-age audience.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Hah, Hope, your "Pandora's box" has about the same vague shape as my own. Vaguely Enya/folksy/celtic-shaped. That Guin ED immediately got stuck in my head! -shakes fist-

I've never heard of Guin Saga until now, but I found it on Crunchyroll and added it to my queue. I'm always down for a decent fantasy anime.

It's good to see some Natsume floating around too.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I didn't particularly care for the show much, but Kanamemo's "Yahoo!" By Yui Horie was quite the ear worm. And similarly rubbish show but memorable ED was "Onegai Sweetheart" by Kaori Fukuhara. It even spawned a meme from it's treadmill animation.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
When it comes to the combination of visuals and music, I guess Eden of the East and K-ON! really did have the best EDs of 2009, but my favorite ending theme of that year is Younha's "Kioku", from Rideback.

Yes! I also like "Kioku" a lot - not quite as much as the OP, but the song and the visuals are both really strong.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... Eden of the East, no contest...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Basquash! is a bad anime but its ending theme song is mega catchy. Perhaps I'm showing my bias towards anything with a great beat but I prefer it over most of the other entries on this list. I always watched the closing credits of that show.

Can't wrong with Natsume Yuujinchou and Nyanko Sensei.

Cross Game's entry was very very nice, a bit on the nose maybe but it still works.

Surprised Guin Saga's ED wasn't first. The vocal performance is simply sublime.

I also want to watch the K-ON! depicted in that ED - essentially NANA, but without the relationship melodrama - rather the one we actually got, which was "Cute Girls Eat Cake: the Definitive Edition".

Eden of the East's stop motion was really neat to watch, but there's no way it makes up for the song.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I thought I was impervious to anime's particular blend of weirdness and perviness, but the ending animation to Heaven's Lost Property made me feel like I was having some sort of drug trip.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Good God the memories that flooded in at #2. I never really got into K-on but when I was trying bits and pieces of it out the only thing that really stuck out to me was that song it'd be one of the many many OP and ED songs I'd play on repeat as I browsed anime forums back then. Other than that I don't think this was the season where I really started to pay attention to seasonal anime so the only ones I recognized were that and the Eden of the East theme. (that and I have to put Cross Game on my backlog as well...sigh)
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
God, the EDs were so good that year. It really is a shame Hope couldn't include Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari per her previous exclusion of Bakemonogatari in the 2009 OP video, but the ED is the original series's only ED and it's a freakin' monster of an ED. I made sure to vote for it on the list though. Easily one of the best EDs of all time.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@Hameyadea

Wow. That is dedication. I would be to lazy to find the names and artists of those themes, let alone embed videos. I am so glad to not be that obsessed with what I post on ANN.

I think you are trying too hard to sound like an expert.

Maybe I am too tired, but I am having a lot of difficulty right now determining if you are trying to be sarcastic -- or merely humorous. If the latter, then you need to work on your sense of humor; if the former, however, then you need to cut it out.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Asura Cryin' is so underrated it hurts me.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Wow. That is dedication. I would be to lazy to find the names and artists of those themes, let alone embed videos. I am so glad to not be that obsessed with what I post on ANN.

Obsession can be a good thing (and not just the .hack//SIGN OP).

Because I really wasn't aware of the 2009 anime OP songs I looked them all up:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4557169#4557169

and

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4557700#4557700

One person's obsession can benefit others...
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:35 am Reply with quote
No contest for me, but it would be Don't Say Lazy that takes the top spot. In all likelihood, I wouldn't have continued watching the show, and subsequently, its sequel and movie, if it weren't for that ED. The only other one on the list that I genuinely like would be Eden of the East's, but the spectacular visuals are a big part of its appeal.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
While I recognize that some other songs may have more artistic "merit", my top choice is Cross Game. Because
1) It's a beautiful song.
2) I am a sucker for Adachi's animes.
3) spoiler[It does fit into the anime (oh boy, that episode)]
4) I am bored of Don't say Lazy and K-ON.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
K-On!, quite correctly titled for a school club show, is fine the way it is and honestly better than what it should have been. Musically and visually though, I still prefer the insert songs.... and the opener... over "Don't Say Lazy". See, my problem with "Don't Say Lazy" is "Listen!" from season 2. That's the visual pop style they were aiming for but I have no idea how they missed it that badly in their first attempt. Oh right, they brought in a special director to do their storyboards while they did it all in house for season 2. When I look at "Don't Say Lazy", all I can think of is "Why would Mio be in an outfit that makes her look like two people?" Good song but it's K-On!, they're all good songs. Ugly design and that's not K-On!.

Which brings us to my best endings of 2009. This is not a comprehensive list as I only list shows where I've watched the entire series. These were the last things I saw when I think of that show. In no order other than the how I thought them up:

"Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari" Bakemonogatari, but specifically episode 12, the last of the TV episodes. Nothing like having subtext put to bed so that context can have its time in the sun, er, night. Who would have known they meant the song lyrics literally? People who read the Light Novel, ok, I get it...

"Otome Ryōran Battle Party" Shin Koihime Musou. It's a party, a waiting line for pork buns actually, and everyone's invited... even the ones who won't appear until season 3. Not as fun as the ending from the first season or as complex as the third season's, it's never the less a bit of both. Don't mind, indeed.

Heaven's Lost Property... well, they had a different one for each episode. To be fair, I'll keep it to two.

Episode 2 "Misaki Meguri", a beautiful song about a lost love. Yeah, it's the flying panties one.

Episode 5 "Yuke! Yuke! Kawaguchi Hiroshi" The undersea adventures of Ikaros, with 100% more Cthulu than you'd expect.

Juden Chan "Onegai Sweetheart" For such a direct show, it's a sweet ending.

Needless "Aggressive zone" This ending has nothing to do with the show and sadly, it's about a 1000 times better. Or at least with a 1000 times more character development.

Queen's Blade 2 "Buddy Body", the one with the Rie Kugimiya/group intro. Strictly not safe for human consumption but that doesn't make it any less awesome, minna!~ Yeah, there are censored versions but why?

Hatsukoi Limited "Hatsukoi Limited". Strange way to end the show, you know, using what should be the opener. Maybe you have to be a fan of the manga artist to appreciate it fully as it's barely animated but the song is just so determined! They will, they must! I think most of the girls look merely confused so maybe someone else was determined to get to that first love? Still made me continue watching so it served its purpose.

I lied. Heaven's Lost Property's revenge!

Episode 8 "Wild Seven" Gunfights, running, driving, action! As in the episode, as in life.

Episode 9 "Hatsukoi" the opener to the final episode of Boys Be... remade to be the soundtrack for Ikaros' first love, maybe. First kiss, definitely.

Episode 10, last one, honest. "Bokuro no diary" The blooper reel. You know what? All of them; I have the DVDs and CDs for a reason.

Haruhi Suzumiya's Tomare? Love the song, hate the ending; Directionless with a pointless perspective... perfect for Endless Eight but doesn't make it any good for humanity in general. Luckily, my DVD set came with the CD so I can skip it every time. By the way, it means "stop" so they probably knew what issues they were going to have, yeah? They should have heeded their own song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3