• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying it needs to mirror BP's plot (which I enjoyed but is definitely a slow burn), I meant in its direction/mood. BP at least succeeded at being creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I feel pretty meh about this anime so far. I haven't watched the 3rd episode yet, but hearing good opinions about it sure is a plus to when I get around to watching them.

I find the mystery elements interesting albeit not very well executed. Like the reviewer said, this anime doesn't really provide the opportunity for the viewers to try to solve the mystery along with the detective. It really kills the fun of watching a mystery show, but it's not a deal breaker for me (for now).

The characters are... eh. They're not bad, but they're not exactly interesting either. This might change as I watch more episodes but for now none of the characters fail to capture my interest.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I haven't read the original novels so I'm surprised to find out the detectives were originally kids.

It's sort of a weird set up, actually - Akechi is an adult (married, even) and Kobayashi is his child protege who lives with him, so there's sort of a Batman and Robin feel to it, and he just amasses these other boy detectives to help him out. I know there are equivalent stories in other languages, but I've been helping my dad with the boat all day and can't think of them. Someone help me out?

@killjoy_the
As for the "Edogawa Rampo" = "Edgar Allen Poe" thing, I agree, it's kind of hard to hear. It helps if you think of "r" and "l" as inter-changeable...kind of.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised mostly about how sexual the motivation was in eps 1-2 but the only lovers presented were...13? The teacher was an adult? And no one seemed to bat an eye at it. I assumed that this was something that was (poorly) adapted to fit the anime characters but it sounds like this was an element in the original story?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I was surprised mostly about how sexual the motivation was in eps 1-2 but the only lovers presented were...13? The teacher was an adult? And no one seemed to bat an eye at it. I assumed that this was something that was (poorly) adapted to fit the anime characters but it sounds like this was an element in the original story?

The novels have a lot of BL undertones between Akechi and Kobayashi.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm dropping this for now. I might pick it up again if everybody says it gets a lot better, but I'm not holding my breath. It's not bad per se, but it's not really doing a whole lot for me. The third episode was the best of the first 3, but still not very good, in my opinion. The BL undertones are a bit of a turn off for me as well, honestly.

Crazy prediction time: the detective who gets called by his sister all the time is gonna be a criminal later on, and it's revealed he's actually crazy, and doesn't even have a sister; it's all in his head (or some such other shenanigans). Sorry, I'm coming off of Gakkou Gurashi, I might be a little paranoid regarding a person's perception of reality. I'm not gonna keep track, but if I turn out to be right, I'm going to be so happy.
bobob101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
For me, Ranpo Kitan is so far the best show of the season. Here is my reasoning:

1. Totally psychopathic characters are everywhere. We all have our weaknesses, and this is mine.

2. This show understands the spirit of Ero Guro. As someone who loves works by Suehiro Maruo or Junji Ito, this show is doing a great job at portraying the perverseness and disturbing traits that make their works (Midori for example is horrible. Horribly awesome). The thing that cemented my love for the show in this aspect was seeing Kobayashi appreciate the human chairs. There is a beauty to be fond here, as the naked female body (eroticism) is combined with the image of said body being turned to furniture (disturbing). While these things are rough to watch, they have a strange attraction to me.

3. Its not really a mystery show. I'm no mystery buff. What little I've read of Ranpo have been things like the Strange Tale of Panorama Island or the Caterpillar, stories that aren't mysteries but mostly focus on seeing the depraved side of humans. I really don't think of myself as a fan of mystery shows, it has nothing to do with my inability to solve the crimes. None what so ever. My point is I come to this show less for trying to parse together difficult capers and more for the furniture.

4. The production is great. Things like important people being given form in Kobayashi's eyes, the way everything looks, everything here just makes me want to watch more and more.

I don't expect people to like this show for the same reasons as me. But this show hits the exact kind of cords I want it to, and does that very well. There isn't a message, there isn't some deeper meaning. I want to watch some horrible people do horrible things, and that's exactly what I'm getting.

A+++++
bobob101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

The original Human Chair story actually isn't a mystery story. Originally, it was about a woman writer who bought a chair to work in, but one day received a letter from a man claiming to have lived inside the chair. He told her about how her sitting on him was his way to derive pleasure. Some versions of this story just end there, while others have the ending of it was all a joke. But the way Junji Ito tells it is wonderful.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
not the best mystery series.. but i will continue to see how this series will end

just hope there's no shounen-ai or yaoi in this series Rolling Eyes
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
I didn't think this would have gotten worse, but it did, somehow.
The shadow guy is such a stupid character but I at least got a laugh out of the line "Girls are like God to me" I'm no mystery fan either but this show seems to be focused more on the characters than on the cases. Which, imo happen to be the weakest aspect of the show. Not terrible I guess but I'm not dying to see the next episode either.
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I thought the third episode was the weakest of the three. It was like the MC was just like "ooh a mystery, here's the answer, oops, 20 minutes left, time for a ton of redundant hospital scenes while actual detective dude is passed out after doing like 10 fat rails of clonazepam."

I, too, am in it for the human chairs. The smushed concrete girls didn't do it for me, as the visuals were too dark and muddy to tell what even was going on before the crazy guy explained it. The OP and ED alone are kinda enough, tho.
HamoodSolid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Um, first off, work on grammar.

Secondly, Rebecca Silverman is a woman.

Finally, if you think ANN reviews are always so bad, why would you read this one?

There's more I can say, but I'll just leave it at that.

You criticize somebodies grammar and yet you type like that?

There's nothing wrong with it.

There is, however, something wrong with the way you spelled "somebody's". Cool

FYI, if you're gonna try and go after me, I'll do the same to you.

Now let's just drop it.

Nice ,not only ANN have lawyers ,buy also typing experts.
Get better reviewers while you're at it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

The novels have a lot of BL undertones between Akechi and Kobayashi.

Right, but my question isn't about the two male teens. I'm asking about the 20+ year old teacher who is supposedly having affairs with his middle school age students and whether this was an element in the original story.

bobob101 wrote:
The original Human Chair story actually isn't a mystery story. Originally, it was about a woman writer who bought a chair to work in, but one day received a letter from a man claiming to have lived inside the chair. He told her about how her sitting on him was his way to derive pleasure. Some versions of this story just end there, while others have the ending of it was all a joke. But the way Junji Ito tells it is wonderful.

Is that how it goes in Ranpo Edogawa's story too? If so it looks like the entire episode was rewritten around a very creepy, urban legend style story.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
HamoodSolid wrote:
Nice ,not only ANN have lawyers ,buy also typing experts.
Get better reviewers while you're at it.

So they'll be better reviewers when they like the same shows you do?
ProxyGlitchcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty familiar with Rampo's work, but I always managed to see his stories less as general mysteries despite the abundance of youth detectives and more live short horror stories (a lot of his content tends to be grotesque and occasionally erotic). As such, I was excited at the prospect of adapting his works into a long-form connected series a la Un-Go.

Unfortunately, a lot of what bothers me about this show is the violation of Knox's Commandments in terms of a solid mystery, with the big thing being the detectives' super-intuition of sorts. It got to the point where knowledge was being withheld from the viewers in that first arc, as if it's intended to create tension, but it comes across as the show not playing fair as a mystery. It's got Seiji Kishi's rather bombastic direction as well, so it never delves into any sort of atmospheric elements that would allow that sort of uncertainty to be acceptable.

I'm holding onto it for completion's sake and hoping that some of the later arcs adapt the material better, but that's just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5