• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Creator on Being Asked for Sequel: 'Please Let Me Rest Now'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
What people are ignoring here is that it was Boruto's VA that made the comment about wanting the movies to continue. Fans have been begging for Naruto to end for years now.

Quote:
When Boruto voice actress Yuko Sanpei said that she "wanted to see the films continue!" he responded with a wry smile, "I can't. Please let me rest now." He said that the Boruto film is "perfect. I'm just speaking for myself, but I'm enormously satisfied."

I wouldn't be surprised if this was scripted. If the Naruto franchise continues without Kishimoto instead of dying off then no doubt that they'll try to shift the blame on fans. This is to save face.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
He should make his previous one-shot, "Karakuri," into a series. That actually had an interesting premise. Now that he's a Shounen Jump Veteran, it might actually have a chance.

He tried to serialize Karakuri in 1997 and it was immediately cancelled. I wouldn't expect to see him tap that well again.

He probably won't take that long off from working. In his interview with Oda, he said that just in between Naruto and Naruto Gaiden he lost some of his drawing speed and technique due to lack of constant practice.

I kind of want to see him do a monthly series for Ultra Jump. He always gravitated more towards seinen, and was going to give up on shonen if Naruto didn't do well.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
please let him Rest. or he suffer the Burnout Syndrome, also he want to be a Father to his Son, and not just a Old Guy that doing everyday Mangas Stranger

Please Understand, he gave us all the Years our Naruto Manga and Movies. Now it is our Time to pay him back in let him get some Rest, and perhaps to recharge his Batteries. How knows what time will bring to us. I hope only happy Times
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
After having written and managed the manga of Naruto for over a decade and a half, I think Mr. Kishimoto-san has more than enough his chance to finally rest.
*NormalGamer*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Like many here said, he really deserves a lot of rest; he really needs to be with his family. Fans really need to understand this.
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Desertking22 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
He should make his previous one-shot, "Karakuri," into a series. That actually had an interesting premise. Now that he's a Shounen Jump Veteran, it might actually have a chance.

As much as I loved Naruto and it had its struggles, it finally ended. Just let him rest, if he makes a new manga let it be a few years atleast.

I don't think it will...he draws manga because he loves manga - he'll probably wait like a year tops before doing something new and probably keep drawing in that time.

He deserves his rest and whilst I am not fond of Naruto it is an amazing accomplishment, but I doubt he'll be gone too long.

You can also understand why I would prefer he do something else rather than continue Naruto, but I'm not a massive fan of his art style either way...-shrug-
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh, what's with all the vitriol leveled at Naruto? Frankly it's a tremendous feat that he was able to finish the thing at all. I thought the ending was at least decent; it wrapped up things in a satisfying if slightly kitschy manner.

Major props to Kishimoto-san for keeping it up 15 years running. I don't profess to be a manga expert, but I've at least read Bakuman, as well as a number of articles on how utterly demanding the profession can be. I certainly don't think I could've done it.

And look, I think anyone can acknowledge that at least Naruto never completely imploded like Bleach. There's certainly something to be said for that after a decade and a half of work. Not everyone can be Oda-san. Wink
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Flare-kun wrote:
Yeesh, what's with all the vitriol leveled at Naruto? Frankly it's a tremendous feat that he was able to finish the thing at all. I thought the ending was at least decent; it wrapped up things in a satisfying if slightly kitschy manner.

Major props to Kishimoto-san for keeping it up 15 years running. I don't profess to be a manga expert, but I've at least read Bakuman, as well as a number of articles on how utterly demanding the profession can be. I certainly don't think I could've done it.

And look, I think anyone can acknowledge that at least Naruto never completely imploded like Bleach. There's certainly something to be said for that after a decade and a half of work. Not everyone can be Oda-san. Wink

Contrarily I can't see how people hate Bleach more than Naruto. Bleach lost some of its chic and became even more MotW, but while it does have crappy parts (Gin's delayed betrayal, Aizen's convoluted schemes, the entire Xecution arc, etc) it didn't have most of the cast wiped out and then the main character cry to the villain to revive them at the cost of said villain's own life and it also didn't revive dead characters to get perfect closure and solve every problem via the dead Hokages telling Sasuke what to do and more nonsense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Kishimoto must be tired of the Naruto series.

Initial impressions of Boruto indicate that Kishimoto put the least bit of creativity into a new series. He could copy and paste plenty of the plots from Naruto and put them into Baruto because the series seem so much the same.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It's deserving enough for Masashi Kishimoto to take a break after working on Naruto for so long.

The fans just can't believe it.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Contrarily I can't see how people hate Bleach more than Naruto. Bleach lost some of its chic and became even more MotW, but while it does have crappy parts (Gin's delayed betrayal, Aizen's convoluted schemes, the entire Xecution arc, etc) it didn't have most of the cast wiped out and then the main character cry to the villain to revive them at the cost of said villain's own life and it also didn't revive dead characters to get perfect closure and solve every problem via the dead Hokages telling Sasuke what to do and more nonsense.

I think what saved Bleach is how the anime ended prior to the manga. Looking at some of the developments after the anime makes me cringe. (Except for Kenpachi's and Unohana's character developments. Although a bit cliche, it was reasonably tastefully unexpected.) Now it's nothing but mutilation of the original premise.
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
It's deserving enough for Masashi Kishimoto to take a break after working on Naruto for so long.

The fans just can't believe it.

HAR.

But yeah, let the guy rest and enjoy time with his family.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

I think what saved Bleach is how the anime ended prior to the manga. Looking at some of the developments after the anime makes me cringe. (Except for Kenpachi's and Unohana's character developments. Although a bit cliche, it was reasonably tastefully unexpected.) Now it's nothing but mutilation of the original premise.

For me, I still wanted Bleach to continue, as while Aizen was the main villain for the large majority of the series, it still had roots elsewhere, and it took over 50 episodes for him to be recognized as one of the big villains (although, I guess you could argue One Piece took even longer with Blackbeard really) so I wanted it to keep going and branch out more.

With that said however, Xecution was one big mess, and the anime ending on it was not a great idea IMO. Ichigo just got his powers back for one, so it's kind of a tease to cut it off there, but also the fact that the arc is just awful as a whole. Tsukishima's existence creates some HUGE plot holes, the twists regarding Ichigo and the Soul Society had the potential to be devastating and could change things up a lot, but they are brushed off callously, the Xecution members all spoiler[being bad entirely] ruined the potential for adding more allies to expand on (although some return later and are kind of shoehorned in), the battles were too one-sided, etc.

The Blood War is quite the rollercoaster of quality and pacing, with Kubo rushing through some villains and big developments while drawing out other fights way too long, some of their powers are ridiculous, and some other stuff weighs it down, but it's a big step up from Xecution, and with only this arc left really, I should hope they adapt it as an anime eventually just to tie it all up. Bleach can't really redeem itself from being a simple crazy shonen action romp at this point, but it's not relentless, exhausting crap, it's just subpar-ish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
But seriously all this 'Naruto will continue without Kishimoto' is such nonsense and happens every time a big series ends we had it when Inuyasha ended, we had it with Reborn and well probably get it every time a 10+ year long series ends

Neither one of those are as big as naruto.

Inuyasha couldn't sustain itself with fillers until there was more material to adapt.

Same for Reborn! (even though i find everything after the future arc garbage)

and bleach, everything went downhill after aizen fell.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, let him rest. Since Naruto is so huge, him doing one shots of it here and there is likely to "wake" him up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4