• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Beach Episodes Worth Watching

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The beach mini-episode OVAs of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun continue to build out the hilarious character relationships and remind us why we need more of this show. Would love for Sentai to get these on their discs, but then again, I just want the damn thing to come out.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
No "Bleach on the beach"? Crying or Very sad
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18 of Fate/Zero was kind of a beach episode...

Very Happy
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Um, just so you know, "Naruto" isn't capitalized in the poll. Might wanna fix that.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
For the new poll I picked Case Closed.
I have seen only the first six movies but they were all very entertaining and a lot of fun. I hope that Funimation will someday decide to license more of the movies, and the TV show.

I picked it as well. I've seen all the movies up to now since subs are the only way to enjoy everything after The Phantom of Baker Street at this stage.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to beach episodes, as long as they don't end up in creepy fan service, I'm happy.

I voted for Holo, but I'm still shocked she won (albeit by the narrowest of margins). I guess a lot of people went with the same logic of not wanting to die horribly from a night on the town.

As for the new poll, GitS didn't have much competition. Evangelion might have been a consideration if the third reboot movie had been released here yet. The only other possibility would be Madoka since I loved the series, but I haven't watched any of the movies yet (probably out of fear of disappointment).
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The second I saw the column's title, Another came to mind. Glad to see it landed on the first spot. I remember thinking it was odd for that kind of series to get a beach episode, but then I spent every second of it expecting something gruesome to happen...so yeah...that worked splendidly, good job!
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
yup.. the beach episode from Another was great

that's a worst way to go
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
My vote goes to the Madoka movie series.

I think it was better than "The Devil is a Part-timer" movies for many reasons... Wait, what?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The beach episode from Ai Yori Aoshi was a blast. Tina and Mayu were competing against one another to their ends throughout the entirety of that episode.

that too. though i didn't mentioned it cause you would expect that from a harem/fanservice series like ai yori aoshi. same with the beach ep from infinite stratos where the uber ichika took absolutely no interest in any of the girls swimsuits except for his big sister.

though i'm surprised that neither index nor railgun had a beach ep. the same for highschool dxd. it definitely would gave the otaku community something to crave for if those series had one.

KH91 wrote:
No "Bleach on the beach"? Crying or Very sad

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks that ep got an uber snub.

any beach ep where the uber lesbian soi fon gets brought down to earth is worth watching. though it was super weird unohana with one let alone acting like a basic human woman. especially considering she's the second oldest among the Gotei 13.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't drink, so I didn't answer the poll, but Holo would have been my choice if I had.

vonPeterhof wrote:
So did I. My best guess is that someone didn't notice the word "film" in the poll question and voted for "The Devil is a Part-Timer!" as a write-in option, which then got added to the list.

It is like those times when someone responds to a forum topic while apparently only reading the title of the topic (and sometimes not even completely reading that).
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I don't drink, so I didn't answer the poll, but Holo would have been my choice if I had.

Neither do I but I still answered Holo. I'll just have a root beer, barkeep.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
But every time I see that episode of Sailor Moon I'm tempted to find a way to bring it back just so I would review that episode.

Because seriously... WHY THE HELL IS THERE A DINOSAUR IN SAILOR MOON?

I saw the episode on ADV's original subbed disks before Naoko pulled it, and yeah...Why? Confused
It felt more like a kiddy-marketing attempt to give Chibi-Usa some spinoff time of her own, on a plot that "little kids would like", while the rest of the Four Sisters arc was above the demographic.
Don't worry, there'd be plenty of little-kid Chibi-Usa pimping by the time SuperS and Pegasus came along...

I don't think Naoko is embarrassed by it, more that she probably felt it would have been better as a side manga story than a TV episode. (If indeed it was hers, as I don't read the manga.)

And while it's on the beach, and has swimsuits in it, but doesn't make it the focus of the episode, what about the memorable "Beach Comedy Contest" episode 18 of Sgt. Frog, that became such a "core" episode of the series, they kept calling it back for sequels/updates every season? It just became one of those first season episodes fans had to know, and was considered series favorite by unspoken consent.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Another as a horror but, damn. That motorboat kill had me laughing so hard for how far from left field it was. Laughing
Believe it or not but I actually don't like the Free! beach episode. Why? Because Makoto's fear of water was (no pun intended) very shallow. If they had brought up the incident from the light novel then him combating his fear when saving Rei would have added more weight. Instead, much like the CPR scene, it doesn't go anywhere and Makoto's fear isn't brought up again until he spoiler[teaches Kisumi's brother how to swim backstroke]. Which sucks because he's my favorite swimmer next to Rei and Haru.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Kinda bummed that Kamina didn't pull out a win in last week's poll. I mean you'd undoubtedly die in a massive explosion by the end of the night, but by God it would be the manliest way to go ever. Come to think of it, you'd probably have an equal chance of dying with Revy, and possibly even Spike. Lots of great dangerous choices there. Very Happy

Haa, I didn't even think of NHK having a beach episode, but that one fits to a tee. Soooo much wince-inducing self-reflection in that show. And Yoko subverting the beach episode trope is always funtimes too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5