• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-kai Watch Anime's October 5 U.S. Debut & Dub Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP THEY'RE KEEPING THE JAPANESE MUSIC (for the most part)! That alone gives me a lot of hope this might turn out okay.

KH91 wrote:
ParkerALx wrote:
Johnny Yong Bosch can pull of a teenager fine enough, but they really should have found a woman to voice "Nate."

Veronica Taylor or Linda Young. Take your pick.

Nope and nope. All of Veronica's male roles sound like Ash. Mona Marshall's the same way. All her male roles sound like Izzy from Digimon.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
@Zeta Wrong. Other countries do it to. France, Spain, Germany, Italy and in the case of the first and last example, have been doing the same for AS long, if not longer than us. We're not outliers here. Do some research and stop with the anti-Americanism. We're not the ONLY ONE WHO DO IT! ATTACK EVERYONE, NOT JUST ONE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Parker Who cares about "naturalism"? We got rid of naturalism a long time again when we depicted ghosts. Oh that and Keita doesn't even look Japanese.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:

They made an English version of the ED though, so it's a nice halfway meeting at least.

Did they? All I've ever seen is covers of the ED song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h75bAR2Ki-E
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
hey,they got Clementine from The Walking Dead games for this dub!
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem with Americanizing it is that the concept itself is so very Japanese that it feels weird. Something like Pokemon is pretty universal and still makes sense with American names and weird looking donuts, it's just about battling made-up animals... But Yo-Kai watch is based on Japanese mythology. It's even in the name.

Like with Shaman King. Even freaking 4kids kept the setting in Japan because it would make no sense if there was an American boy summoning the spirit of a samurai.

It's the same with Yo-Kai Watch. It's such a distinctly Japanese concept from Japan's mythology that it's kinda weird.

I get that kids won't remember Japanese names as well, but they could have gone the Digimon route and give them nicknames but still keep the setting in Japan. Or Japanese-Americans like Hamtaro.

...Or maybe we're underestimating kids in understanding other cultures. While they weren't as big as Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh I actually remember Naruto and DBZ were very popular with kids and had big toylines, and the Americanization was minimal in DBZ and nonexistent in Naruto.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what the issue is with Johnny Young Bosh's voice. He sounds fine to me in these clips and I don't feel like he sounds too old. And it's not like dubs always cast women in the roles of young boys. Vic Mignonga played Ed in the FMA dub and I don't remember too many people complaining about him sounding too old for Ed. Comparing Bosch to the Japanese voice actress, his voice for the MC sounds fairly closer to her to me actually. I'm more concerned about the theme song because to be frank it sounded awful and doesn't make me feel excited for the show at all. Say what you will about 4Kids but at least they knew how to make a catchy theme song.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm not sure what the issue is with Johnny Young Bosh's voice. He sounds fine to me in these clips and I don't feel like he sounds too old. And it's not like dubs always cast women in the roles of young boys. Vic Mignonga played Ed in the FMA dub and I don't remember too many people complaining about him sounding too old for Ed. Comparing Bosch to the Japanese voice actress, his voice for the MC sounds fairly closer to her to me actually. I'm more concerned about the theme song because to be frank it sounded awful and doesn't make me feel excited for the show at all. Say what you will about 4Kids but at least they knew how to make a catchy theme song.

Me and my nephews can't get enough of that Yokai Watch theme song, you have to listen to it multiple times to catch and lyrics really go along with what the show is about
Nosehair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
woman and young boys have similiar voices, thats how its always been. thats how Shakespeare did it and thats how many voice actors still do it today, especially in anime. do your homework before you write a half-baked essay thats tl;dr full of commentary fluff with no credibility.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
All of this --what's kept, what's not kept-- all of this, for all the good it would do, wouldn't matter anyway if Yokai Watch doesn't take off with its target audience.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
If they just aired it online, then I think they could get away with little to no localization issues. Walking Dead actress Melissa Hutchinson was also Chise in SaiKano.
peggywhynowhy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Hazinger Zeta wrote:

They made an English version of the ED though, so it's a nice halfway meeting at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO5BkUYDT1E
They've only done it live so far. There was also a small clip of it at the end of some Hasbro video.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
peggywhynowhy wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Hazinger Zeta wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO5BkUYDT1E
They've only done it live so far. There was also a small clip of it at the end of some Hasbro video.

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty good!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2