• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto, Vol. 71

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
>Magnum Opus

Really now? *barfs in mouth a little*
While nobody would dispute that Naruto is ultimate highly popular and successful for Kishimoto, there are A LOT of problems with the story and characterization over the years.

I'm not sure if you know what magnum opus means.

A magnum opus is a particular artist's greatest work. Naruto is without a doubt Kishimoto's magnum opus, just as Dragon Ball is Toriyama's and One Piece is Oda's.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:
aereus wrote:
>Magnum Opus

While nobody would dispute that Naruto is ultimate highly popular and successful for Kishimoto, there are A LOT of problems with the story and characterization over the years.

I'm not sure if you know what magnum opus means.

A magnum opus is a particular artist's greatest work. Naruto is without a doubt Kishimoto's magnum opus, just as Dragon Ball is Toriyama's and One Piece is Oda's.

And unless Kishi can make something better, it'll remain that way.

And as much as some people like to whine about Naruto, it does have tons of great things about it. People just like to focus on the negatives.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
BadNewsBlues, he's killed the fodder/red shirt characters

In the movies of course which we know aren't canon. Otherwise in the main series proper Naruto had never killed anyone that wasn't already dead or on their way to being dead.

actually there was kakazu during the whole team 10 arc. though yea,other than that he really never actually killed anyone.

though that might change in the final vol cause knowing kishimoto,he have a tendency to be kinda unpredictable and i really take come news of some series that tend to be spoilers with a fine grain of salt until something official is announced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
>Magnum Opus

Enough to where there should be a disagreement on it being considered Kishimoto's "Magmum Opus"? eventhough we have not much reason to believe that anything Kishimoto does now will have the relevance or popularity that Naruto has/had?
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I honestly wish Naruto had killed Kaguya and he did it himself because he didn't really kill any major canon "final bosses" except for Pein and because that would show a darker side to Naruto.

I'm fine with Naruto not killing. It's not what he's about. For a character like Naruto to kill, I would only view it as a last moment resort.
xzy123

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
aereus wrote:
>Magnum Opus

Enough to where there should be a disagreement on it being considered Kishimoto's "Magmum Opus"? eventhough we have not much reason to believe that anything Kishimoto does now will have the relevance or popularity that Naruto has/had?

if they dont read first vol and last vol at the same time to see the different is????????????
LuScr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
BadNewsBlues, he's killed the fodder/red shirt characters

In the movies of course which we know aren't canon. Otherwise in the main series proper Naruto had never killed anyone that wasn't already dead or on their way to being dead.

actually there was kakazu during the whole team 10 arc. though yea,other than that he really never actually killed anyone.

Perhaps my memory's failing me, but as I recall, they went out of their way to leave Kakuzu alive after his fight with Naruto, and had Kakashi finish him off.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
LuScr, the way I see it is comparable to a video game. If you have 5 lives, Kakashi's slaying of him was the game over.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Perhaps my memory's failing me, but as I recall, they went out of their way to leave Kakuzu alive after his fight with Naruto, and had Kakashi finish him off.

Naruto isn't the one solely responsible for killing Kakuzu, but he is the one most responsible for Kakuzu's death.
xzy123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
LuScr wrote:

Naruto isn't the one solely responsible for killing Kakuzu, but he is the one most responsible for Kakuzu's death.

like the one in pain
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
xzy123 wrote:

like the one in pain

I'm not sure which person you're talking about, but Nagato basically chose to kill himself in atonement by bringing back the recently deceased. Naruto didn't kill him; he killed himself.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Considering that none of his offenses are ones where death or needlessly long prison sentence would be a just punishment like most of Orochimaru's or Kabuto's you could understand if people thinking that would be seen that way. And that's only if you don't factor into the fact that most of Sasuke's actions would've never taken place if someone had bothered explaining to him that Danzo was the true mastermind behind the needless massacre of the Uchiha.

He was an accomplice to freaking international terrorists. That's definitely enough to get thrown in jail for. Or how he committed attempted murder several times with no remorse. Or how he also committed treason against Konoha. He never truly took responsibility for his actions and that is a gigantic black mark for the series as a whole.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Heck, even in ch. 699, spoiler[Kakashi said that the only that Sasuke isn't facing a life sentence is because of his assistance with stopping the Infinite Tsukuyomi.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Sasuke and Naruto...well, in all honesty Sasuke really should have been offed AGES ago for his actions and the fact that he suffers no true punishment for ALL the crap he did or was an accomplice to it disgusting. In a logical world he'd be tried for too many felonies to count, possibly even war crimes. And of course it doesn't help that anyone who says Sasuke needs to be punished is clearly some sort of heartless monster who is reduced to a straw man because the plot says so.

Considering that none of his offenses are ones where death or needlessly long prison sentence would be a just punishment like most of Orochimaru's or Kabuto's you could understand if people thinking that would be seen that way. And that's only if you don't factor into the fact that most of Sasuke's actions would've never taken place if someone had bothered explaining to him that Danzo was the true mastermind behind the needless massacre of the Uchiha.

Wrong. Sasuke killed Danzo at the time was Hokage. Such an act is equal to killing the president. Not many people knew about Danzo's actions behind the scenes. So who would vouch for Sasuke even if he tried to explain it? Orochimaru? Yeah I'm sure plenty of people trust that guy.

He also attacked the other kages during the summit meeting and of course attempted to murder others on MULTIPLE occasions.

Also are you serious about Orochimaru and Kabuto? So let me get this straight. Orochimaru MURDERING the 3rd Hokage, starting a war where many people were killed for the hell of it and experimenting on hundreds of children/adults (many of which got killed in the process) is somehow worthy of NO charges? I seriously don't want to live a world where people think that makes ANY sense.

Kabuto was even worse. Orochimaru may have started a war with the Leaf but Kabuto was responsible for starting a war with the entire world with his involvement. That makes him a GLOBAL terrorist. He likely caused an even greater number of casualties with his reanimations. People know he was the one who did it too. So why he was let into the village makes no sense.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

Wrong. Sasuke killed Danzo at the time was Hokage. Such an act is equal to killing the president. Not many people knew about Danzo's actions behind the scenes. So who would vouch for Sasuke even if he tried to explain it? Orochimaru? Yeah I'm sure plenty of people trust that guy.

He also attacked the other kages during the summit meeting and of course attempted to murder others on MULTIPLE occasions.

Also are you serious about Orochimaru and Kabuto? So let me get this straight. Orochimaru MURDERING the 3rd Hokage, starting a war where many people were killed for the hell of it and experimenting on hundreds of children/adults (many of which got killed in the process) is somehow worthy of NO charges? I seriously don't want to live a world where people think that makes ANY sense.

Kabuto was even worse. Orochimaru may have started a war with the Leaf but Kabuto was responsible for starting a war with the entire world with his involvement. That makes him a GLOBAL terrorist. He likely caused an even greater number of casualties with his reanimations. People know he was the one who did it too. So why he was let into the village makes no sense.

No kidding, those two alone would have committed enough offenses to earn MULTIPLE execution sentences. In theory it can make for a commentary on how sometimes bad people get off scott-free because of the needs of the time, but it's really just haphazard writing on Kishimoto's part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3