• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heavy Object

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
in this show they say they will do the things that crossange actually does, fun.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Right now my main objection is the cartoonish villains. And the repeated threats of raping of Milinda feel like some kind of weird fan service when they can't work in a boob grab. :/

they shoudl ahve gone all the way and shown teh sodlier's delusions, like they did in that one scene of jitsu wa watashi ga.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
in this show they say they will do the things that crossange actually does, fun.

If you mean rape, none of the characters in Cross Ange are ever actually raped. Though there were some serious attempts...
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Is it just me, or does Baby Magnum make you think or the Technodrome from TMNT?

Comparisons. Very Happy

EDIT: Link Fixed

Last edited by Wrangler on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

If you mean rape, none of the characters in Cross Ange are ever actually raped. Though there were some serious attempts...

So do you just have a little alarm that goes off any time someone (rightfully) accuses Cross Ange of having rape in it? Or even if it seems like maybe they are, even if you can't quite tell? Geez man, chill out.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
So do you just have a little alarm that goes off any time someone (rightfully) accuses Cross Ange of having rape in it? Or even if it seems like maybe they are, even if you can't quite tell? Geez man, chill out.

Oh come on, what else could he possibly mean. And no, he wasn't right at all. Lots of sexual assault, but no one is ever raped. It is certainly super trashy, but not nearly trashy enough to actually have rape nor as trashy as a lot of people claim. You're talking about a series where even the uncensored blurays have breasts with no nipples (in fact they're apparently the anime equivalent of ken/barbie dolls). I can't even remember the last time I saw an anime actually have rape in it. And this specifically is a light novel adaption anyway so obviously that will never happen.

Wrangler wrote:

Sadly that link doesn't work. I didn't think of the Tetradome until some one else mentioned it, but now that I think about it, I totally see it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
Lots of sexual assault, but no one is ever raped.

You sound like a defense attorney trying to get their client off on lesser charges.

In a court of law, the difference between sexual assault and rape may be significant. However in a dramatic show the difference is so small as to be insignificant. Both produce the same emotional reaction in the audience. This especially when the show does its absolute best to convince the audience that rape happened before they pull back in the next episode to show, "no we did something else". Essentially a distinction without a difference.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
In an effort turn the conversation away from Cross Ange.....

I finally got around to watching Episodes 2-3. I have to say, while the adaptation is a bit poor in some places, it was still much better than Episode 1. All in all, a great watch. I guess people are finally warming up to it like I expected after the main schtick was revealed and the mission was completed.

Just some notes about things I observed that other people were talking about:

• Fanservice - The only fanservice or perverted moment in these first 3 episodes that came from the novel itself was the belt strap scene that dragged on a bit too much. Everything else was added by the animators. That (short) part in Episode 2 was completely unnecessary.
  • About the shooting scene in Episode 2 - While the enemy soldiers were being jerks to Milinda, the novel didn't have them threatening to rape her (implied or otherwise). So it was a bit strange have them turned into potential rapists before they were killed by Quenthur and his aimbotting. Not the best change IMO. The original version was Qwenthur getting mentally adjusted to the war mentality without feeling guilty too guilty about it. The anime: "Potential rapists are demons that need to be killed". Just unnecessary.
  • About Milinda being captured - Both times she acted as the decoy. The reason for the first time was pretty clear but the second time was specifically to buy time for Qwenthur and Havia to finish their sabotage operation.
  • About the genericity of the opposing force - This time around the opposing force wasn't noteworthy in any way. In the novel, basically no information was given about them. They were just treated as the 'opposing force'. The anime has given some background to them: specifically them belonging to the Faith Organization. At the very least we have been given some idea as to what sort of themes are at play with that force. Ultimately there's no excuse for their genericity other than this being the first mission of the series just establishing the core concept. It'll get better later on.

Aside from that, I'm very pleased with the reviewer, Paul, assigned to this series. Everything in the review about the first three episodes were spot on. Couldn't have asked for a more fairer reviewer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Paul wrote:
Something remotely resembling an actual antagonist would sure be a big help, though.

Going by his Evil Laugh™ I'm guessing the old guy in the shadows (who seemed to be in the top brass?) is your man.

The death balls per se don't interest me much, but I'm enjoying watching the team MacGyver their way out of peril to save the day.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The one area where Heavy Object continues to miss the mark is in developing the big picture behind its carefully plotted battles. It's fine that the characters don't know everything about what their leaders are doing, but I still haven't been given a good reason to care about which fictional nation comes out on top.

War is certainly a suitable topic to be cynical about and I get the impression that there's a healthy amount of cynicism driving its depiction. This has lead me to believe that the absence of a point or meaningful stakes is at the very least thematically consistent if not outright pointed.

I actually like the decision to omit that detail so far as well. It connects the viewer more closely with the characters rather than zooming us out to a less empathetic distance. However, the cutaway to people scheming makes me think that something resembling a goalpost will be showing up in due time.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, if antyhing, by the way this is treating war right now, this seems to belong to the gundam school of "war is sense less" tought.
xzy123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Agreed, if antyhing, by the way this is treating war right now, this seems to belong to the gundam school of "war is sense less" tought.

this is not gundam at all. in gundam one robot is almost alway get upgrade to be better last if the robot is taking damage
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Episode #4:

Requesting B2 armament and being on the receiving end of B1 Laughing

I liked how the visual aesthetics of the show got brighter in the Mediterranean settings compared to the Alaska arc, which while it was to be expected, it's still nice to see.

This whole episode felt like one big shenanigan by the Lucky Combi, and it was quite enjoyable and funny. When they detonated the hidden explosives and the Tri-Core was engulfed in flames & smoke, and both of them were hopeful, I just knew that the Object survived that explosion and basically went like this. Couldn't stop laughing.

As a side-note, I like it better when LN-based anime name their episodes based on the respective LN; I found it to be more helpful to "accept" when some story elements seem to end abruptly (since it is based off LN volumes, which start, continue, and end), rather than giving each episode a different title. Just a minor preference of mine.
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
I think the amount of technical detail is just right. I mean sure I like this type of stuff but I didn't even think it was all that much, but if people keep mentioning it I guess it must be more than normal? However relative "normal" may be.

Contrary to how technical the machines are, war has been simplified to how you imagined it when you were like 5 or something. All that mattered back then was that if your big toy beat the other guy's big toy, YOU WIN! Ye good olde days.

I liked their "less is more" approach to water effects in ep.4. It's like they used flash to animate the waves.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Rather than establishing a routine or formula, I feel like both of these first 2 Object battles are the prelude to the larger story. The key is in the background plot. First, Qwenthur and Havia are the first foot soldiers (ever?) to single-handedly take down an Object. Being such a momentous feat, the world has to be wondering if it was just a fluke or if they're the real thing. So, their government sets up a battle in a wildly different environment with one of the strongest Objects and gives them more resources than before. They do it again. Now everyone's standing up, like, is this for real?

So what's next? Sure, there will probably be countries who still think it's a big fluke, or that the 2 losers were just stupid, but most of them will start reacting to our saboteurs. They'll find their own saboteurs, or they'll attempt to trap them in their sabotage attempts, or even outside of Object battles, or they will attempt to change how the world works to hinder their efforts. 2v2 Pokém- I mean Object battles? Demanding that finding soldiers in the field is grounds for loss/disqualification? Maybe releasing new technology that requires constant engineer maintenance?

Index's setting was more immediately appealing and relatable, an overt city of science and covert factions of religion, with each arc revealing more and more about how the two were interconnected. Heavy Object has a setting that requires setup; even with the exposition from episode 1, it has to establish how "this world" works, how the people feel about it, how they act and react to the Object wars and such. So now that they've accomplished that setup, we will hopefully get meatier stories.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Another fair review Paul.

While there's a lot that I want to say about future story arcs and such, there's a simple explanation as to why things seem like they are beginning to stagnate:

These two missions and the next one are part of just one light novel. Meaning that they have/will spend 8 episodes adapting just one novel.

Compare that other series that spend 3-6 episodes per novel. Anything longer is unusual (e.g. Rokka no Yuusha).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12