• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Valkyria: Azure Revolution Game's Teaser Video Reveals Winter 2016 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Okay, I'm not gonna lie, this teaser and the few screenshots they've released are making me consider importing the Remaster just for that demo.

It's practically a guarantee we'll get the remaster outside of Japan with that demo.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
It's practically a guarantee we'll get the remaster outside of Japan with that demo.

I agree that it's pretty much a guarantee we'll get the remaster (given the game's recent success on Steam) as well as "Azure Revolution" (I mean, it's a PS4 exclusive; if they have no intention of releasing it in the West, that's probably stupid), I'm not so sure about the demo. Besides, I've already played the original in English, so importing a copy from Japan would be a new experience (I know the US version has Japanese audio, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't include Japanese text).

On the visuals: yeah it doesn't look exactly the same as "VC," but I don't see why people are saying it looks nothing like "VC." If I had never seen the two games before or knew their titles, and looked at the screenshots they've released so far against the same number of screenshots from the original, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they're from the same franchise. It doesn't even look like they're abandoning the militaristic element, just the specific WWII-esque stuff around it, while amping up the fantasy elements that were already there. And as for the "giant sword" complaint, not only can you see the male character also using regular guns like the rest of the soldiers, but this isn't the first "Valkyria" game where a main character used a rather unrealistic weapon.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

On the visuals: yeah it doesn't look exactly the same as "VC," but I don't see why people are saying it looks nothing like "VC."

Because people want their Scouts ,Lancers, Shocktroopers, Engineers, and their one good tank in a TRPG. That's inspired somewhat by World War 2 and backed with a watercolor, color palette.

And nothing else it seems.

partially wrote:
And a Valkyria for some reason attaching beach balls to her outfit.

You must've hated Selvaria from the first Chronicles game I take it?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
This "Azure Revolution" game is clearly a spin-off, which means it won't necessarily have the sort of mechanics as VC itself. In fact, it might be considerably different in many respects. After all: spin-off DOES NOT mean "sequel" or that it is a continuation of the same series -- quite the opposite.

The game won't even be out until *next* Christmas, so maybe we should wait until we have more information before we castigate the game for it not being something it never said it was supposed to be. You know, wait until we have a better idea of what it actually is.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Cantastorie wrote:
Quote:
the small southern European nation of Jutland launched an assault against a base of the Rus Empire, one of the world's great powers. In accordance to its principles, the Rus Empire retaliated with an economic blockade and embargo and in time Jutland was impoverished. Jutland proclaimed "independence and liberation from the colonialism of the great powers" and declared war on the Rus Empire, who employed a Valkyria in its ranks.
The young men and women who participated in what would later be called the "Miraculous War of Liberation" will be judged to be the greatest criminals in history.

Just how much is this chapter going to be anti-american? xD
As far as I can see this is exaclty WW2 seen from a very japanese prospective...

Though if we're going 1853, it could be the Crimean War.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

I agree that it's pretty much a guarantee we'll get the remaster (given the game's recent success on Steam) as well as "Azure Revolution" (I mean, it's a PS4 exclusive; if they have no intention of releasing it in the West, that's probably stupid), I'm not so sure about the demo. Besides, I've already played the original in English, so importing a copy from Japan would be a new experience (I know the US version has Japanese audio, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't include Japanese text).

On the visuals: yeah it doesn't look exactly the same as "VC," but I don't see why people are saying it looks nothing like "VC." If I had never seen the two games before or knew their titles, and looked at the screenshots they've released so far against the same number of screenshots from the original, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they're from the same franchise. It doesn't even look like they're abandoning the militaristic element, just the specific WWII-esque stuff around it, while amping up the fantasy elements that were already there. And as for the "giant sword" complaint, not only can you see the male character also using regular guns like the rest of the soldiers, but this isn't the first "Valkyria" game where a main character used a rather unrealistic weapon.

If we're talking about art, then yes, it looks very similar. The cel-shadings and colors all resemble Valkyria Chronicles 1. But if we're talking about the feeling of the game, then no, it doesn't feel the same. Keep in mind that the entire game was circulating around WW2, so changing that detail makes the game look different, which prompts a lot of people to claim that it looks nothing like VC. I get the similarities, but the director has already claimed that it will look different and have 'real-time' action-ish battles with setting commands to buttons. Same concept, but largely different style.

Yes he uses a gun, but the sword will likely be his main weapon. If it isn't, then why did they bother adding it?

And I may be alone on this front, but I dislike chaotic battlefields. I prefer the slow, assassination, infiltration type of gameplay instead of huge battles. Judging from the teaser, they're going to have you run out into the middle of a giant gun battle and fight. Not something I like personally.

And this is all my own opinion, so I'm not disagreeing with what you said is true, but I have a different opinion of what I've seen thus far.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
They've also change the designer from RAITA to some generic card game illustrator...
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Ninjajake12 wrote:
If we're talking about art, then yes, it looks very similar. The cel-shadings and colors all resemble Valkyria Chronicles 1. But if we're talking about the feeling of the game, then no, it doesn't feel the same. Keep in mind that the entire game was circulating around WW2, so changing that detail makes the game look different, which prompts a lot of people to claim that it looks nothing like VC.

It really is just the "nothing" statements that get to me. Maybe I liked the aesthetic of the original in a different way than others, but in the broad strokes, this at least seems more than similar enough to believably be called "Valkyria." And speaking only for myself, so far (acknowledging this game was literally only announced a day or two ago and we haven't seen much of it, so I could easily change my mind) it's got a good combination of "familiarity" and "freshness." And all this is only referring to the visuals; I don't expect the gameplay to feeling anything like the original.

Ninjajake12 wrote:
Yes he uses a gun, but the sword will likely be his main weapon. If it isn't, then why did they bother adding it?

Fair enough. It's mainly that people are fixating on the swords to the point that I'm pretty sure I've seen comments like "where are the firearms?" or "so it's all magic and no technology?" (paraphrasing, of course), all while there are screenshots of characters using guns, or running through a stream of bullets, or targeting a freaking scorpion mech with what appear to be Gatling guns instead of pincers, and I can't help but think they have very selective sight.

Ninjajake12 wrote:
And I may be alone on this front, but I dislike chaotic battlefields. I prefer the slow, assassination, infiltration type of gameplay instead of huge battles. Judging from the teaser, they're going to have you run out into the middle of a giant gun battle and fight. Not something I like personally.

Also fair enough; different strokes for different folks. Not really sure I have a preference for one or the other, though if they're going an action route, I'm kind of curious what it would be like if they essentially ripped-off the combat from "FF Type-0," added tactical elements, and tweaked everything as necessary to properly fit the feel of the world. Though there's no way they'd actually do that.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It really is just the "nothing" statements that get to me. Maybe I liked the aesthetic of the original in a different way than others, but in the broad strokes, this at least seems more than similar enough to believably be called "Valkyria." And speaking only for myself, so far (acknowledging this game was literally only announced a day or two ago and we haven't seen much of it, so I could easily change my mind) it's got a good combination of "familiarity" and "freshness." And all this is only referring to the visuals; I don't expect the gameplay to feeling anything like the original.

I see what you mean. Yeah, I won't admit it looks 'nothing' like the original. It has the same art design and whatnot. The only thing that looks out of place may be the protagonists themselves. Their design seems a little modern for the setting. But regarding art, you can surely link it to the franchise. That much is obvious.

Quote:
Fair enough. It's mainly that people are fixating on the swords to the point that I'm pretty sure I've seen comments like "where are the firearms?" or "so it's all magic and no technology?" (paraphrasing, of course), all while there are screenshots of characters using guns, or running through a stream of bullets, or targeting a freaking scorpion mech with what appear to be Gatling guns instead of pincers, and I can't help but think they have very selective sight.

Yeah, I definitely saw guns being used. My main problem with swords is that they've been done to death by other RPGs and it feels like a stale concept. Given, they could end up only using the swords during very specific missions and decide to use guns during most of the missions. It's really hard to tell since they're using a very high-octane mission to show it off. This may be only one or two missions out of many...or it could be like this every mission. As long as they balance the gun/sword use, I'll be fine. I'm just curious to see how they'll integrate it into the gameplay. I just would have liked it better if they chose, you know, so many other weapons available out there lol. The protagonists just seem out of place with those weapons (or at least the guy does).

Quote:
Also fair enough; different strokes for different folks. Not really sure I have a preference for one or the other, though if they're going an action route, I'm kind of curious what it would be like if they essentially ripped-off the combat from "FF Type-0," added tactical elements, and tweaked everything as necessary to properly fit the feel of the world. Though there's no way they'd actually do that.

It's going to be interesting how they combine the style of Valkyria Chronicles to this new supposed action-ish gameplay. I just hope they haven't turned it into a hack-and-slash game. That's my only fear. If they did, I'd be really disappointed. If they basically did the same thing as the original VC games (turn-based, planning) then the swords won't really matter to me all that much.

It's kind of hard to tell what they're going to do different from the original's gameplay. I just hope they don't start experimenting with styles of gameplay that doesn't suit the game (like a hack-and-slash). I also hope they aren't trying to develop a Final Fantasy game here. This kind of reminds me of some certain FF games right about now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2