• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
So it looks like they want to give Kiku some experience to show him as a person and develop his character. ... I'm curious to see how their relationship will develop~

Was it established that she was instructed to become involved with him? To me it looked ambiguous at best -- like she was seducing him and he was betraying his master.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
So it looks like they want to give Kiku some experience to show him as a person and develop his character. ... I'm curious to see how their relationship will develop~

Was it established that she was instructed to become involved with him? To me it looked ambiguous at best -- like she was seducing him and he was betraying his master.

Somewhat but it felt like they kind of wanted them to meet so that Kiku can be more open to others especially to females. She is interested in Kiku because he is different than other guys and not just seeing her as a good looking girl.

Not sure what you mean by the "betraying his master" part. Kiku was being his usual self.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Not sure what you mean by the "betraying his master" part. Kiku was being his usual self.

If she were his master's mistress and he started sleeping with her I think it could be considered that. But maybe it isn't seen that way in this period of this culture.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Somewhat but it felt like they kind of wanted them to meet so that Kiku can be more open to others especially to females. She is interested in Kiku because he is different than other guys and not just seeing her as a good looking girl.

My opinion is that it looked like she is used to controlling the men around her via seduction, she is definitely doing it to the master. But he is able to resist her charms a great deal and the hard to get personality and such in avoiding her advances was making him look like a challenge and thus attractive to her. Chances are there is a part of it which will be useful in him developing his own Rakugo style, which his master was talking about him learning eroticism. Which actually may have been foreshadowed by how the women in the restaurant were reacting to him.

That Rakugo story was good, brought me back to how we had that long one in the first episode, the ability of one person to create characters. I loved the end of it.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
episode four

Despite the recent developments bringing in more excitement, I'm starting to miss the characters of the story's present. I'm starting to wonder how long it will take for us to get back to that point as we know a number of things still need to happen, such as Konatsu's early childhood.

All that said, the story about the samurai and the boatman was easily my favorite out of the stories told so far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Kiku dressed with makeup and as a woman! Lol...well that was interesting.

The comedy along with the rakugo performance is brilliant, so much better from the first episode when he made the stage. I think Miyokichi brings the best out of Kiku. Good episode overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
I think he's found his calling. Smile And we even got a trace of a smile out of him!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Damn, this show knows how to sell a performance, and it was a play this time instead of a Rakugo. What was great is that it showed him exactly the sort of Rakugo that is his calling, an elegance that can capture the attention of the audience, and the contrast from feminine to masculine.

The episode also did a good job of expressing his doubts. And although I thought the girl was rather interested in him because he was playing hard, she does seem to like that part of him.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What was great is that it showed him exactly the sort of Rakugo that is his calling,

But it seems that he hasn't won his self-confidence yet -- not the sort we saw in his older self. I thought this would be the episode that does that but it looks from the preview he will still be struggling.

Marvelous how the play went, though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

That was awesome. I feel like Kiku's skills at rakugo greatly improved since his debut and now can really entrance an audience with his performance.

Great episode. He sold his performance very well imo so no wonder he has fans. I hope he can keep up this momentum.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
He was really able to surprise some of the audience in how he was able to draw them in, how a single glance could be effective.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
episode six

The pacing is starting to worry me a little. Kiku's gender role issues, emphasized this episode, mirror Konatsu's, but there's so little of her in the series that the compare/contrast doesn't really work since we're comparing a fully fleshed out character to a (currently) poorly developed one. The pacing of the events in the past is making me worry how much time there actually will be for said development to occur. She's not even born yet and we know that Sukeroku doesn't actually die until she's old enough to have some memory of the event.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Great episode. He sold his performance very well imo so no wonder he has fans. I hope he can keep up this momentum.

Oh, he will. Remember in the present-day story he is an acknowledged master. But it is amazing how we can be so caught up in his struggle even though we know how it will come out.

I can't remember when I have been this impressed by an anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Damn...I just want to give Miyokichi a hug this episode. It seems she genuinely cares about Kiku and wants to spend more time with him.

Kiku's rakugo skills will probably improve more throughout this series. Also, I think his relationship with with Hatsutaro was kinda interesting, especially in the second half.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
So Bon took Shin to Miyo's place? Ouch. It was still funny when she dragged him off Bon's lap and pointedly took his place.

I love Bon's fox-face, and we got to see it a couple of times this ep. He was a coward for not telling her he was leaving town. But I guess Yakumo intended for her to be with him after all. Awkward all around.

I think this trip will be the breaking point for everyone now. Does not bode well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6