• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Anime Discs Go On Clearance?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Does the Cyber City - The Final Collection DVD still hold up today? As in, is the video and audio quality pretty decent? I'm usually wary of picking up DVDs that are more than a decade old, but Cyber City looks like a fun ride.

I have it and watched it about a year ago. And the show is still fun if you like that crazy 80s cyberpunk type of anime. The video quality from what I remember was pretty nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I've seen many anime DVDs at the 99 Cents Only store. I've seen DVDs of Inuyasha, Reign, Trouble Chocolate, Project Arms, Area 88, and I even found a dvd of Zoids: Chaotic Century vol 7 which goes for $99 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Zoids-Chaotic-Century-United-Vol/dp/B0006N2EXC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1449980597&sr=8-5&keywords=zoids+chaotic+century

Naturally, I bought that disc.

I've also seen VHS tapes of Gundam Wing and Yugioh the Movie.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Andre (in the question) wrote:
But I've noticed some stuff never turns up, like Media Blasters, Honneamise & those Toei discs Geneon distributed never pop up in brick & mortar clearance bins.

I saw the Bandai Visual/Honneamise releases of the Patlabor movies on the DVD bargain racks at XS Cargo, a now-defunct Canadian overstock store, in 2013.

Oh the collector's editions. I forgot about those. I have both of them. I got them on Amazon in 2013 when you could pick them up for like $12 a piece. Keep in mind that their MSRPs were like $90 each, and they only printed 10k copies in like 2006 when they came out. That should be a good indicator for how they sold!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Darn it, I never find anime releases in dollar stores. The closest I've ever found was the animated adaptation of Tales of the Black Freighter and a lot of Power Rangers single-disc releases. I guess it's like with video games: You have to dig through the trash (mostly forgotten children's movies and public domain adaptations) to find the good stuff. I did find Tekkonkinkreet for $5 at Wal•Mart though.

Say, regarding licensed material: When the contract ends, you can't make any more of it, which is pretty obvious enough. But what about the case of pre-ordering? Has there ever been a case of a licensed product (not just anime, but anything) that got so many pre-orders that the producer could not make enough of them in time to fulfill all of the pre-orders when the contract expired? If so, are they allowed to make more until all of the pre-orders are met? I'd guess such a situation is exceedingly rare or outright not allowed.

DmonHiro wrote:
I was unaware one could run a scorched earth campaign with anime. Then more you learn...

You can run a scorched-earth campaign with pretty much anything. Whether or not it's ever a good idea in a specific business is a different matter entirely.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It happened with VHS too. About 10 years ago, my local Kroger of all places had a $1 bin filled with VHS tapes, most of them were from CPM! It was mostly Slayers, but I picked up Vol. 1 of Utena, and got hooked on the show! It was the first "hard core" anime (non-DBZ/Pokemon/YGO/etc) I ever watched, and I'm still a fan to this day, so these can be a good way to get hooked on shows you may not have heard of. Wink

And for anyone reading this who doesn't know what Kroger is, it's a supermarket chain.

Supermarket chains in the United States and Canada are strictly regional, at least by name. With the case of Kroger, it owns a bunch of other chains spanning the continent. I forget what its other properties are, but in California, for example, it operates under Ralphs and Food4Less. Supermarkets called Kroger, however, are found only in a pretty small geographical area.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
A Vintage Stock around here has had an 'Anime Test Drive' disc of The Ping Pong Club for 99 cents for years. Last time I was in there I thought about buying it but bought Abenobashi instead.

You think I can still get $10 back if I buy the first volume? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Especially for a fandom that used to think double and triple-dipping series was a "conspiracy" to "make" them buy the same series twice. (Which was one of the factors that helped sink ADV, when fans knew the boxset was coming after the single disks.)
Even more devastating was the fact that consumers noticed a pattern: once the stripped-down thinpak releases came out, rightstuf and others would liquidate the extras-laden singles for a few bucks apiece. So the singles wouldn't sell at typical prices during their initial runs, and then the thinpaks would also underperform, because people knew they could get the higher-quality singles for a comparable price, sometimes less, or sometimes at a "more than the thinpak, but worthwhile due to extras" point.

And this was in effect even before TRSI did their massive 10-for-$50, 25-for-$100 liquidations of ADV titles. Which I can credit for obtaining all or nearly all of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie 1-2, Detective Loki, E's Otherwise, Divergence Eve/Misaki Chronicles, Madlax, Sister Princess, Area 88, and Yugo the Negotiator in singles/artbox form back in 2007-08.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Even more devastating was the fact that consumers noticed a pattern: once the stripped-down thinpak releases came out, rightstuf and others would liquidate the extras-laden singles for a few bucks apiece. So the singles wouldn't sell at typical prices during their initial runs, and then the thinpaks would also underperform, because people knew they could get the higher-quality singles for a comparable price, sometimes less, or sometimes at a "more than the thinpak, but worthwhile due to extras" point.

I hate to admit it but I was one of those people. I would have gladly bought a full series set if they had kept the extras. But giving me a bare bones packaged set for more than the cost of buying the singles once said set came out just didn't work for me. Plus I happened to like having all those big art boxes single dvd sets used to come in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2