• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Did Christmas in Japan Become A Thing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Quote:
It's true, Japan isn't a particularly Christian country -- they only make up about 2.3% of the population, according to Wikipedia. So how did Christmas become a big mainstream holiday over there?

I'd just like to point out that Christmas was not a Christian holiday. It started out as a pagan holiday called Saturnalia, which passed many of its features into later Christian times.

Quote:
The popularity of Saturnalia continued into the third and fourth centuries AD, and as the Roman Empire came under Christian rule, some of its customs have influenced the seasonal celebrations surrounding Christmas and the New Year.[7]

In fact, there is no proof whatsoever that Jesus was actually born on Dec 25.
don't forget that they ganked Christmas traditions from other pagan winter solstice holidays as well. which becomes very apparent when you look at how Yule is pretty much considered an alternate term for Christmas in many English speaking places these days despite originally being a germanic pagan holiday of its own (as well as today being used by modern neopagans as their own winter solstice holiday with new traditions, some based on the old germanic pagan ones, but others unique to their own brand of neopaganism).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed KFC in the past, but I don't have as much of it as I did back then after noticing how greasier their chicken has became over the years.

Merry Christmas Folks! Smile
unready

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Quote:
piece on earth

just spotted this one.

Yeah, not a portion of fertile soil, but absence of conflict on the third planet. Oh, well.
Quote:
Amusingly, many Japanese are under the mistaken impression that this is an American tradition as well!

Roast turkey, fried chicken, as long as it's a bird, I guess.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Roast turkey, fried chicken, as long as it's a bird, I guess.

What a coincidence, I had roasted turkey for dinner on this day. Smile
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Japan's love of KFC never ceases to amuse me.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Japan treating Christmas as a big party night is so sacrilegous, I'm surprised at of the many things they get criticized for, their take on it hasn't been targeted by religious nutcases.

That's how it's treated in a lot of America, too, and the Western world in general.

I suppose only Latin America (yeah it's technically in the West but you get what I mean), the Vatican, East Timor and the Philippines are the ones doing Christmas right.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
In the spirit of the holidays I wish my fellow anime and manga fans Merry Christmas!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:

But only because it causes the same Project A-Ko scene to run through my head every time. Laughing
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Bet that "Christmas Cake" is tastier and more digestible than our fruit cake...just saying...
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Wait - you're supposed to eat it? I thought it was a weapon to kill small animals with. Maybe that's the reason why everybody looks at me funny whenever I crush their cats with one.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Its always fun to hear how different countries celebrate Christmas but that KFC tradition is new to me. Shocked
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
Just-another-face wrote:
Quote:
Amusingly, many Japanese are under the mistaken impression that this is an American tradition as well!

I just...I don't even. How in the heck did they ever come up with this absurd assumption in the first place? Seriously. Anime hyper

My takeaway was KFC's marketing department claimed it was simply what was done in America and part of the Christmas experience, so they'd better do it too if they want to do it right.

Think of Colonel Sanders in a Santa Claus outfit--as has even done here in the U.S. during some Christmas seasons. White beard, glasses (for when Santa reads his mail and checks his naughty/nice list)--add the red and white outfit, and you get a Christmas tradition.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Quote:
It's true, Japan isn't a particularly Christian country -- they only make up about 2.3% of the population, according to Wikipedia. So how did Christmas become a big mainstream holiday over there?

I'd just like to point out that Christmas was not a Christian holiday. It started out as a pagan holiday called Saturnalia, which passed many of its features into later Christian times.

In fact, there is no proof whatsoever that Jesus was actually born on Dec 25.

No this is a misconstrued notion. It's easy to understand why people get this wrong because they fail to separate the date December 25, from the celebration that is called Christmas.

It's true when Christianity came to power there was already a holiday situated on or near the 25th of December in certain regions, so to make converting pagans easier, it was decided that Christmas would usurp an existing holiday's date, rather than selecting an entirely foreign date which wouldn't help ease the transition for converts as much.

While no one knows the exact date Jesus was born, December 25 was not selected for historical accuracy and no educated Christian actually believes December to be a likely month for Jesus to be born.
However, the average human gestation period is 9 months, and December 25 is exactly 9 months after March 25, which Christians celebrate as the Feast of the Annunciation, otherwise known as the date on which Jesus was conceived by Mary.

So December 25 is not an exclusive Christian date, but Christmas is definitely a solely Christian holiday. "Christ" is in the name for Christ's sake. No one worships Jesus the Christ (usually shortened to Jesus Christ) other than Christians.

Among all of human history to this day, there have been only a few monotheistic religions, and among those, only ONE celebrates the birth of their one god born as man, which again, is literally where the word "Christmas" comes from. Other traditions not related to Jesus' birth like evergreen trees, decorative lights and wreaths, gift giving, etc are traditional/cultural addons that were picked up over time and adopted, but these are not Christian traditions originally, but just as dates were usurped, compatible customs were incorporated, again to ease the transition for converts.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan has its own Christmas traditions. The one that baffles Americans the most is the ritual of eating fried chicken -- namely KFC -- on December 24th. KFC Japan marketed themselves as a Christmas Eve tradition, and it's caught on in a ridiculous way. In fact, it's their busiest day of the year, and customers are required to book their orders in advance. Amusingly, many Japanese are under the mistaken impression that this is an American tradition as well!

So THAT explains all those Asians at KFC during that point around December. I do wonder though: Do other Asian countries associate Christmas with KFC as well? I ask that because I am frequently in Korean districts, where KFC gets more popular in December too.

(I do notice that in east Asia, fried chicken places other than KFC seem to be mostly nonexistent though.)

maximilianjenus wrote:
Quote:
piece on earth

just spotted this one.

Well, I'd like to have a piece on earth too so I don't go floating away into outer space.

kinghumanity wrote:

It is now, and that's the important part.

Joe Carpenter wrote:

KFC is weirdly popular in random countries. People go crazy over KFC in Thailand, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Russia,and the Philippines, to my memory.

Meanwhile, China's KFCs recently got competition in Pollo Campero, a Guatemalan fried chicken chain that decided to open up in Beijing, and having seen the Beijing location and its lines going out the door, they seriously established a foothold.

That being said, although fried chicken is most closely associated with the United States, it was invented in Scotland (like most other deep fried foods); it was merely modified in the United States' deep south into its most recognizable form.

In any case, if people are eating at KFC to honor Jesus, they're eating at the wrong place.

Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Quote:
piece on earth

just spotted this one.
Lovers in the park. Wink

Didn't KFC go so unpopular in the US that many franchises closed up?

You can blame Queen Vic and Prince Albert for the Christmas we recognize now. Christmas use to be just yet another Christian day of Obligation to attend church service before. the concept of a decorated tree and giving a gift which would have been something hand made, food or an item of small value, was a German invention and the British Royal family, being basically of German descent, Prince Albert having been born and raised in Germany, introduced it in the Royal household early in the Queen's reign. Even the giving of a card to distant relatives was also attributed to The Victorian Royalty. We Brits, being quick to see a new wheeze to make a bob or two, took to it like wasps to a sweet, hence yet another colonial influence spread to the world. I think it was Pope John-Paul who said "Christmas is Jesus's gift to the world". Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3