• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Japanese Fans Pick Top Anime That Made Them Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to comprehend how anything could make anyone cry instead of just rolling their eyes after all the stupid antics from most of the first half of Plastic Memories. (I still can't believe it went from instant buy going off of the first episode to me not even caring enough to finish the show)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Magnitude 8.0 did it to me, mentioning Key reminded me of another.

Key the Metal Idol was a tear jerker for me especially whenspoiler[ Sakura was killed and Key found her Gel container.]
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
spoiler[It was hard enough when Yang died. But episode that came after it just tore my heart into pieces]

Rurouni Kenshin OVA
spoiler[Tomoe death]

One Piece
spoiler[Going Merry funerals]

Fate/Zero
spoiler[During Iskander's last charge I had the same face as Waver]

JoJo
spoiler[Ceasar's death]
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is actually an awful list. I cry extremely easily, yet out of the 7 I've seen only 3 of these even made me tear up. And the only one I would say really captured me emotionally, is Your Lie In April.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The only anime that has ever made me cry was Anohana. Other than that, several shows have made me tear up, with the award for most instances going to the original FMA and 2nd place going to Madoka Magica, if memory serves.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Blimey, Plastic Memories would've been great but the misplaced humour and dire soundtrack utterly killed it. The last couple of ep's were good but by that point it had lost any emotional connection with me.

Air? Why? Just why? I struggled to get through just how tediously boring it was and barely managed to finish it. Maybe I'll give it another try in twenty years or so.

Wolf Children was good but not tears good.

Your Lie In April almost brought a tear to my eye but I'm not a big fan of the type of ending it went for.

Only show to ever really get me tearful is Clannad After Story, episode 18 in particular which got me twice in less then 5 minutes. Right there at the end with the field scene and following train journey home.

Not seen Tokyo Mag 8.0 but I will one day.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Stand By Doraemon? Finally, I gushed looking at the trailer itself. The song and Doraemon himself crying before leaving is enough as it is.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that it's a poll of adult fans, though. I don't think I ever cried at anything on a screen when I was younger, whether it was TV, a movie, or live. All of the sudden, once I hit my 30s, I started bawling at every damn thing I saw. I'm surprised I haven't been banned from every theater in California, seriously. Anyways, point of the story, I'd love to see the results of this exact poll given to people from different age groups, and how different they might be. Clearly whatever age group "adult fans" is picked from all sorts of time periods, so it must be something else influencing results.

*chillinwithhermiddleagedhormoneshardtoday*

/geekoutcomplete

***edited to say Plastic Memories was [expletive] terrible weepbait.
blackice85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Plastic Memories? Has there ever been such paint-by-numbers "you will cry to this!" melodrama? I mean, aside from trite sentimental crap like Air or Kanon, or any of those. Let tragedy rise naturally from developing storylines, not movies and TV shows whose goals are to get you to weep from cheap "feels".

That's exactly what bugged me about it. From the very beginning you could see it was trying too hard to make you feel sad, it felt forced.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, to each their own sires.

The included titles justifies it holds a certain amount of drama degree that fans were obliged to cast their vote in it. Honestly, try your hardest to hate, but respect the goddamn list and the Japanese's choices.

Well, I only cried at Trust and Betrayal(the last part) and Clannad S2(the sunflower scene). But I can agree the list sure had sad stories.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Jakerams wrote:
Finally people who give Air the credit it deserves. I personally found Air to be sadder than any of Key's other series.

My issue with Air is that is was clear it needed to be 24 episodes to properly adapt the visual novel. A lot of unanswered questions rose up in the second half of the series which I would assume made more sense in the visual novel. Also, the two episode flashback was AWFUL and poorly placed to boot. Like spoiler[you already essentially pushed the protagonist out of the way randomly, but are trying to justify it by making the focus on the main heroine and her aunt.

Okay, I still don't like the random shift but let's do it. Oh, but wait, here's some insanely overly complex supernatural elements that also require us to waste two episodes on characters who were never in the story before and won't be afterwards. WHY?!!! How much more effective would the second half be if it had simply focused on the relationship between Misuzu and her aunt and left all the supernatural elements to the other girls (who were also annoyingly pushed out of the story. At least in Kanon you get some closure on everyone at the end)! People give Angel Beats grief for how it was handled but I think Air fumbled far worse in comparison. It's still a fairly good series but man could it have been FAR better.]

As for the list, I've actually only seen Gundam 0080 and Tekkonkinkreet on it though I do want to see some of the others listed. Gundam 0080 definitely earned its spot, but while I vaguely recall some sad moments in Tekkonkinkreet I definitely don't think it made me think it was among the saddest moments in any anime ever.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't like melodramas, but I teared up at the end of Ghibli's Princess Kaguya.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I would have cried to Plastic Memories out of frustration if I was forced to watch it after episode 1. Man what a shitty series.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Page two of the comments and nobody has mentioned the last five minutes of Angel Beats!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Page two of the comments and nobody has mentioned the last five minutes of Angel Beats!

They were pretty funny, yeah!
This is a list about crying though, so we should mention MC's backstory, or Yui's episode.

It's so easy to make me cry that I don't think I can list all the anime that managed it. I do remember pretty easily the ones that were clearly trying to but instead made me laugh, like AnoHana or Kanon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7