• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses The Girl Who Leapt Through Time Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satou NHK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. I had no idea the DVD is that rare and even more the limited edition. I'm fortunate to still have mine then. Bought it from Animenation way back when it was first released 10 years ago and its been sitting on a shelf ever since. Great movie. One of my favorites from Hosada.

Also, I didn't know that the more recent "Time Traveller" movie was based on the same story. I'll have to give that a view to see how it compares.
byeblackbird

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
Be still my beating heart Anime exclamation
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
Satou NHK wrote:
Also, I didn't know that the more recent "Time Traveller" movie was based on the same story. I'll have to give that a view to see how it compares.

Not exactly, both movies are adaptations of the same novel (which apparently has it's own English release) but are very different from each other. The only connection between the two is that Time Traveller's lead actress is the same woman who voiced Makoto in the anime film.
Satou NHK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Not exactly, both movies are adaptations of the same novel (which apparently has it's own English release) but are very different from each other. The only connection between the two is that Time Traveller's lead actress is the same woman who voiced Makoto in the anime film.

Yeah, I knew it was based on a novel as I remember watching the extras and if I remember correctly they had Hosada paying a visit to the original author and they were talking about how different Hosada's adaptation was. I didn't know about the actor being the same though. Cool.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote
Satou NHK wrote:

IMO, it's not bad, but not particularly memorable.

To clear up a few things, the original work is a short YA novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui (written way back, before he turned all surreal and satirical). It was adapted as a beautifully-shot but otherwise lifeless live-action movie in the 1980s, and I think it's been adapted for TV as well.

Hosoda's movie is a sequel to Tsutsui's story. Makoto's "Witch Aunt" spoiler[in the movie is the heroine from the original novel, all grown up].

The "Time Traveler" movie was called "Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo" in Japan, just like all these other films, but as mentioned, it has no connection to other works aside from the title and casting.

Incidentally, there was an anime film a few years back called "Nerawareta Gakuen" ("The Targeted School") that, IMO, was trying to replicate exactly what "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" did. It took a famous YA science fiction novel (in this case "Nerawareta Gakuen" by Taku Mayumura) and tried to craft a modern sequel in the form of a gentle love story. In this case, though, it did not work out very well, which may explain why such a well animated, good-looking film, is AFAIK still unlicensed.

The original book has no romance to speak of; it's a paranoid thriller and parable about totalitarianism, in which time traveling psychics will mercilessly torture you if you oppose their will. Tsutsui's story lent itself easily to the whole young love/coming of age genre; Mayumura's totally did not. I think they would've been better off not trying to tie it to a pre-existing work...and also dialing down the lens flares--seriously, J.J. Abrams has nothing on this thing!
halo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
I had the R3 Korean LE set about a year before it was released in the US, then upgraded to Blu-ray. I'd probably buy it again if they pull off something special

Maybe they can work out something and release the 1983 live action movie? I have an old R3 DVD version, I would love to see an updated release if not an upgrade to Blu-ray.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry; this is rare? There's literally three or four on the shelves of every HMV or CEX you walk into. Heck, you can still pick it up on Amazon for £3.99.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
But this is a formal Bandai title though, and I don't think Funi has even released a single one of the titles they license rescued from them. (none of the ones I care about, anyway)

I take it either you don't care about Cowboy Bebop or forgot it was one of those titles:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-cowboy-bebop-escaflowne-outlaw-star-more
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
I didn't regret selling my BD copy for five times what I paid for it. I do regret that this will get released before those titles Funimation license rescued... wait, "rescued"... way back in 2013.

Yup, they are waiting on materials from whomever. The reason why none of them are streaming by them is... don't ask. By the way, Cowboy Bebop's been available physically and for streaming more than a year by itself now, not because Funimation licensed those other titles to get to that one and they're just hoping you'll forget about them already.

No, that's silly. No, each title is missing stuff. Except that one. Just a coincidence, really.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Goody. I will finally have another chance to own this movie. I assume Funimation will offer it on BD.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
They might as well announce that they have the license to One Piece Movie 6 while they're at it Wink

or ANY of the older One Piece movies for that matter (Movie 6 was the best,but movies 4 and 5 were pretty solid too. ) .
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Still waiting on that Wolf's Rain license rescue and Haruhi blu ray re release.

In terms of this, I'm glad, but not surprised. In fact, I am more surprised this movie is almost 10 years old. I still remember when it came out. Sigh.. I'm getting old.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Isinfier wrote:
I'm sorry; this is rare? There's literally three or four on the shelves of every HMV or CEX you walk into. Heck, you can still pick it up on Amazon for £3.99.

This is the US. Not the same Country and not the same region. Search Ebay or Amazon for the R/1 Bandai release.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Cool but the way they release movies that are old it most likely be release in 2156 along with the Strike Witches movie
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Since I think this was the first anime movie I watched it'll be cool to watch it again after all these years (especially if Funimation releases it with a BD version Anime hyper )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3