• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psycho-Pass The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with Jacob, I saw the movie in December and while I liked it, it felt mostly an inconsequential Jump movie. Nothing about the status quo actually changed. It did however drop a strong message about colonialism and the whole "X country needs some democracy" mindset. I actually loved Akane's final confrontation with Sybil and her speech about respecting the people's fight for their rights and the government they deserved.

I also agree that it felt too drawn out, and particularly the mercenaries' part in the story didn't make much sense, their characters felt like just some fodder to fill up more runtime, having no actual repercusions on the plot, nor individual character journeys that made them relevant.

But honestly the only truly jarring thing about it was the insane amount of Engrish. I think half (at least a third) of the dialogues in the movie were Engrish. It wasn't bad for anime Engrish standards, but since they were apparently making it as if this was the primary spoken language in Shamballa, it sounded really bad that everyone's speech sounded so unnatural. I don't really get what was the point of having so much awful Engrish there. It started to get frustrating at one point
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
I didn't watch season 2 so should I understand what's going in this movie?

Yup. As stated in the review, there's a new Inspector from season 2 named Mika who has a few lines, but that's the only thing that might be unfamiliar to you.

And if I remember correctly Mika spoiler[is actually introduced in one case from season 1 and later becomes an inspector at the end of the same season].

Yep. She does. Which even further makes season 2 pointless. And this is how I'll manage to pretend that it doesn't even exist. Especially when I show Psycho-Pass to other people.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Is this film standalone enough to be enjoyed without having seen the first season? It happens to be playing near me, and while my interest in the television series is nonexistent, as a movie it's just a one-and-done kind of thing. But who knows, maybe it'll actually spark my interest in the series?

So what do other people think? Is this franchise really just not for me? Would the movie work as a decent litmus test to see if I'd like the rest of it? Or do I have to force myself to watch at least Season One before I even think of seeing the movie?

The movie isn't really comprehensible standalone, you need to have seen the whole first season to get anything out of it. But based on that second paragraph, Psycho-Pass may not be for you. It's very gratuitous and morose.

Thanks for the quick response. I've got two weeks till the screening, so I suppose I'll give the first season a fair shot and see how that goes, though your words don't make me terribly optimistic that I'll finish it.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one here who didn't hate season 2? It wasn't anywhere near as good as 1, but I thought it was still decent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Am I the only one here who didn't hate season 2? It wasn't anywhere near as good as 1, but I thought it was still decent.

I liked it more than the movie but that isn't saying much because I thought the movie was completely passable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:

I actually really liked what they were trying to do with Mika vs. Akane because I think Mika's perspective was a pretty logical character portrait to pit against Akane's after season 1 and given the setting. Unfortunately the actual plot of the show and Kirito's motivations were so incomprehensible that it was irredeemably ruined imo. Not to mention all of the other quality issues.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Best part of the movie was just every scene with Kogami in it and the return of a certain ED song. I just wish he could spoiler[return and reclaim his birthright as the MC of the series], but it's okay if not.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the movie a little bit more then Jacob did. I kind of saw it as a return to form. Rebellion was more interesting then good. Expelled from Paradise was ok but meandering and didn't really have much of a point. The Psycho-pass movie was the best thing I've seen from Urobuchi in a while.

I liked how the movie showed just how terrifying the Sibyl System. The first series was good at showing you how the system slowly pushed you into compliance where the criminal element is phased out until only a few extreme murderers remain. This movie shows what happens if you're on the wrong side of the Sibyl System where it goes from a bureaucracy to a terror state.

I also liked the chemistry between Akane and Kougami. The movie really capitalize on their past relationship and it's nice seeing the two interacting as equals for once. Not to mention the reunion scene was pretty damn great.

And what it had to say about colonialism was pretty neat to. I remember kind of cynically thinking partway through the movie how the story was turning into a "white savior" story, and then a short while later the movie addresses it, and uses it to push it own themes.

As for the fan-service I didn't mind. Mainly because by most anime standards it was pretty tame. And it didn't have the sexual violence that made season one difficult to watch (I get why it's there, doesn't make it less unpleasant).

And I liked the bombast and action sequences. I think the director said the movie was partially a riff on Apocalypse Now, and you can kind of see that in the early action scenes.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:

Oh, and I do apologize for yet another nitpick, but
Quote:
...in the abandoned ruins of Phnom Penh...

Wasn't that Angkor what? [Edit: nice word-filter Smile ]

Whoops. Fixed! Sorry, geography is noooot my strong suit. I was worried I was going to get all kinds of stuff wrong even mentioning the region, despite my research.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

Yup. As stated in the review, there's a new Inspector from season 2 named Mika who has a few lines, but that's the only thing that might be unfamiliar to you.

And if I remember correctly Mika spoiler[is actually introduced in one case from season 1 and later becomes an inspector at the end of the same season].

Yup. spoiler[She's one of the main students from the case with the grotesque "statues."]

KH91 wrote:
Best part of the movie was just every scene with Kogami in it and the return of a certain ED song. I just wish he could spoiler[return and reclaim his birthright as the MC of the series], but it's okay if not.

Yeah. He's always awesome and cool, I was looking forward to that and seeing him and Akane back working together.

spoiler[Yes, it'd be great if for a third season they find a way to work him back in in some way, even with how ridiculously hard that would probably be until the story gets to a final rebellion against Sybil, for obvious reasons, but it'd be worth it to have the crew mostly back together. I really enjoy Akane too but there is a bit missing from the whole without both of them and Ginoza (who's still there) all there.

Also, I really enjoy the satisfying progress Akane's makes throughout, including the way she opened the first ep of S2 manipulating the Dominator response, as one example, was great.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Hope wrote:
and the dub distinctly improves when dealing with violent emotions like pain and fear, but most of the dialogue still sounds flatter than it should even in casual conversation, to say nothing of the cast's tendency to monologue about dead philosophers.

Considering how bad the Engrish was in the Japanese audio, I'd take flat conversations any day.

but you cant say that the english dub version is bad at the slightest. and when comparing the two version, both are solid, though i am in the minority since i am mainly an english dub only person with the fewest of exceptions. the thing that did surprised me on the english dub though was that the replaced Steaphnie Young with Linda Leonard are the voice for Sybil. and Greile as the voice for Ginoza that was news to me since ginoza doesnt sound anything like him unless he's been the VA since season 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I think you made minor error in the review. Linda Leonard was Chief Kasei and the dominator/Sybil Stephanie Young. do you mix up the voice actresses, or did Linda replace Stephanie?

jr240483 wrote:
and Greile as the voice for Ginoza that was news to me since ginoza doesnt sound anything like him unless he's been the VA since season 1.

Yes, Josh Grelle has been Ginoza since Ep 1
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

In some ways, the movie and season 2 are inconsistent:
Mika
S2: spoiler[Completely and utterly incompetent in every way.]
Movie: spoiler[Seems as competent as you would expect of an inspector of the Sybil System.]

Sybil System
S2: spoiler[Learned to judge a collective and would thus show a non-zero crime coefficient for itself.]
Movie: spoiler[Still shows itself as having 0 crime coefficient.]

Perhaps it's better to not watch S2.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I think you made minor error in the review. Linda Leonard was Chief Kasei and the dominator/Sybil Stephanie Young. do you mix up the voice actresses, or did Linda replace Stephanie?

No, I was referring to Chief Kasei as Sibyl because, well, she is. (Spoilers?) Just how I think of her, I forgot her human alias and just think of her as the voice of Sybil. Stephanie Young is the voice of the Dominator, because I can remember the word "Dominator" and it comes right out of the gun, while Leonard's voice comes out of a person who is the Mouth of Sybil. So it's just splitting hairs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3