• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Feb 26-Mar 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I second all the comments on SGRS and Akagami no Shirayuki-hime.

So, all in favor of changing the title of this feature from
"The Best and Worst of the Season So Far" to "What's Hyped and What's Not Hyped the Season So Far" say aye. Aye!

Count
Ayes: 1
Nayes: --

Last edited by AwaysAnnoyed on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Shouwa at 10? Must be some season when there are 10 shows better than it!

Being ranked at 10 does not necessarily mean that there are 9 shows better than Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. The ranking is saying that there are 9 shows more popular than SGRS.

I have my issues with the highly volatile episode ranking, but I am convinced that the cumulative ranking does a good job reflecting the taste of the fandom at large.

AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
So, all in favor of changing the title of this feature from"The Best and Worst of the Season So Far" to "What's Hyped and What's Not Hyped the Season So Far" say aye. Aye!

If we are renaming this feature I rather go with "The Most Popular and Least Popular of the Season So Far".

And how exactly can you measure hype?
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

If we are renaming this feature I rather go with "The Most Popular and Least Popular of the Season So Far".

And how exactly can you measure hype?

That works perfectly well too.

Hyped shows, but not necessarily good (from a critical pov) shows = good public ratings. I don't know...however they got the current rankings to display the hype and non-hype levels pretty well. They don't need to change the rating system, just changing the title would be great.

And so, count update:
Ayes: 2 (1 for 'Most Popular and Least Popular')
Nayes: --
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Nay. Title isn't a problem at all, just read the entire thing and you'll notice several phrases such as

Quote:
Keep in mind that these rankings are based on how people rated individual episodes of the current season, not on the overall quality or popularity of the series.

[...]

Disclaimer: the rankings are just an average of opinions, published for entertainment and information purposes. ANN makes no claims regarding statistical significance.

It's entirely normal to disagree with the rankings; you should not expect your tastes in anime to match the average expressed by the rankings. Also, the rankings indicate relative quality (A is preferred to B), not absolute quality (B is good/bad). So while the titles are ranked from 'best' to 'worst', that doesn't necessarily mean the best title is 'great' or the worst title is 'awful'.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Rumor has it that if you read the whole article slowly, you'll see where the Internet chewed the graphs. You might even find a few teeth marks.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
So while the titles are ranked from 'best' to 'worst', that doesn't necessarily mean the best title is 'great' or the worst title is 'awful'.

It's this contradiction that grinds my gears. The title says 'best and worst of the season so far', but it's not reallllly the best and worst shows~♪ Why on earth give it that title then? It's just giving the wrong impression.

But, fair enough. Count update:
Ayes: 2 (1 for most popular and least popular).
Nayes: 1
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a democracy, and I'm pretty sure running a poll like this is considered off-topic in any case.

I'm amused by Osomatsu-san's placement in the cumulative poll. It's lowest weekly ranking is 18th, but it's current overall ranking is 22nd. I understand the principle that led to it, but it's still really weird.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Shouwa at 10? Must be some season when there are 10 shows better than it!

You can either be a commercial success or a critical success. Shouwa is the latter.
Few shows get both.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
Quote:
So while the titles are ranked from 'best' to 'worst', that doesn't necessarily mean the best title is 'great' or the worst title is 'awful'.

It's this contradiction that grinds my gears. The title says 'best and worst of the season so far', but it's not reallllly the best and worst shows~♪ Why on earth give it that title then? It's just giving the wrong impression.

But, fair enough. Count update:
Ayes: 2 (1 for most popular and least popular).
Nayes: 1

I think you're thinking best and worst are absolute terms, when they are always relative. Nothing quoted there contradicts it being relative. Plus it is determined by the users not them. I imagine you disagree very much with the determinations, but individuals are going to disagree with the aggregate, something they acknowledge.

Plus I find your title of hyped versus not hyped to be very imprecise. Are all the ones on top overrated and those on the bottom underrated? Some of them sure, but I would say many deserve their spots. How would you disaggregate the overrated ones from the highly rated and likewise separate the underrated from the low rated? Unless you mean to say that hype equates to popularity, then I fail to see the need to change it to suit your preferred terminology. I do not find your imprecise, perhaps jaded, framing to be all that compelling. Put me down for a nay.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I think you're thinking best and worst are absolute terms, when they are always relative. Nothing quoted there contradicts it being relative. Plus it is determined by the users not them. I imagine you disagree very much with the determinations, but individuals are going to disagree with the aggregate, something they acknowledge.

Plus I find your title of hyped versus not hyped to be very imprecise. Are all the ones on top overrated and those on the bottom underrated? Some of them sure, but I would say many deserve their spots. How would you disaggregate the overrated ones from the highly rated and likewise separate the underrated from the low rated? Unless you mean to say that hype equates to popularity, then I fail to see the need to change it to suit your preferred terminology. I do not find your imprecise, perhaps jaded, framing to be all that compelling. Put me down for a nay.

Sorry, my poll is apparently off topic, so I'm just going to stop here, but thanks for your input anyway.

And you're right, I won't argue.

Hypothetically: If I discard the term 'hype' and use 'popularity' (I don't really know the difference to begin with, but let's please not get into that), I'd say most popular is those with most views. Gather the statistics from legal (it is correct to add this, right?) streaming sites, and you'd be able to make a list with most viewed shows to least viewed shows. If you compared that to this list, it would probably look vastly different. That much I understand.

But for example, with Erased, it is probably the most viewed and top rated of this season, and on the other hand, something like Shouwa, which I'm sure is a less-viewed show, is low in the rankings. Shouwa is not a bad show, yet in the weekly ranking this week it was 20-something. Is this due to the drop in number of people who rated it, the number of people who preferred other shows to Shouwa, or the actual rating numbers themselves?

But it doesn't really matter. I've been following this Best and Worst of the Season so Far since its beginning (I think this is the 6th/7th season?), and I've never said anything about the title before. The thought just randomly came to me. I didn't mean for it to turn into a serious discussion. I guess not everyone here in the forums have a sense of humor, or there's just never the right TPO for it (Oops, I went off-topic again. My bad.)
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
On Showa ranking, you always have to remember that only the people who watch a show rank it, the people who don't obviously don't (at least I hope, you'd need to be quite petty to rank a show low and not watch it).

So the maturity and hype of Showa have very little to do with its ranking. What its relatively low ranking tell you is :"People who are still watching this show are ranking it lower and lower compare to what people who watch other show are ranking those". Or possibly Showa has lost most of the watcher who consistently ranked it high for some reason. Actually the more hyped a show is, the larger the audience it will have and the more likely people who would rank it low keep watching. Another aspect to keep in mind is that 5/5 does not mean the same things to everyone, for some people 5/5 is almost impossible to attain while for other 5/5 just mean "I enjoyed it". Maybe Showa audience is more of the former than the latter.

Well for my part, I would enjoy the show a lot more if they'd drop the Rakugo. Its just get too repetitive for my taste, always the same background with the same kind of shoot getting repeated, the same kind of story and structure and all that. There's a reason its a dying art and we're on animenewsnetwork and not rakugosnewsnetwork. It was a product of its time (no way of distributing mass media and even traveling theatre group were rare since travel was hard and expensive).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
I'm surprised that Snow White with Red Hair did so poorly but I guess people just didn't like the Obi based episode that much and I was hoping Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu would finally get a boost up because I loved animation and drama this week but sadly not Sad

Neither of those episodes are included in this survey which cuts off at Mar 3.

Still, it's sad that Shouwa is being outstripped by the likes of BB/BK and Luck and Logic (not that they're terrible, but they're just ordinary). The huge dive between episodes 3 and 4 and the flat line since then are baffling, but I guess people decided they didn't like the story focusing on Yakumo's past rather than his apprentices' present, which the synopses all implied would be the case (and it would be if this were to get additional seasons, but that seems unlikely). In a weird way, I suppose it speaks to its quality that they haven't just dropped it after the 4 episode trial period people often go by. ::sigh::
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Doing it by views is interesting but I don't know if CR, Funi or Daisuki publicly list views. For some shows it would catch some hate watchers, slightly weakening its use as a stand in for popularity, but I'm don't think it would be a significant effect.

As to Rakugo, I mentioned earlier that it is the rating themselves not math, and likely not changes in viewership.

Writing it all off as a joke? Now that's funny Laughing
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
What its relatively low ranking tell you is :"People who are still watching this show are ranking it lower and lower compare to what people who watch other show are ranking those". Or possibly [insert anime name here] has lost most of the watcher who consistently ranked it high for some reason. Actually the more hyped a show is, the larger the audience it will have and the more likely people who would rank it low keep watching. Another aspect to keep in mind is that 5/5 does not mean the same things to everyone, for some people 5/5 is almost impossible to attain while for other 5/5 just mean "I enjoyed it".

It would be great if this is something everyone understands. My fear is that people who glance quickly at lists like this for interest's sake would misunderstand.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Since we're on a Rakugo rant:

Imo, the main thing that makes Rakugo stand out is that anime has drawn from & catered to such a narrow segment of Japanese culture & society that a show can stand out just by being about adult males who aren't fighting stuff. I'm enjoying it a lot, but I'm also aware that the most notable thing about it is that it was animated rather than being a live-action drama (although thank goodness it wasn't one). It's scores perhaps reflect why there aren't more shows like it. I suspect it's disc sales will do the same, sadly.

Might also be that it appeals to people who think "this is pretty good: 3stars" rather than "omg she's so cute: 5stars!" But that's a biased judgement of a fictional audience based on nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3