• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat! English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Casts Erica Lindbeck as Kanae

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:08 am Reply with quote
I was planning to donate, but I usually never donate to any kickstarters since things take forever to come out. I have supported crowdfunded anime in the past though. I'll get around to it, but not this week. We've got time.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Think this is a good idea, just to generate some more buzz as the campaign comes to a close. Personally, I can't back this KS, due to my location. While I've no idea what the show is like, and dislike opening endings...I would like to support Pied Piper. I got their release of Time of EVE, which they did a KS for, and it was a great product they delivered.

I think also supported their release of the LN adaption of Time of EVE, and that was good too.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
I upped my pledge last week. It's difficult for me throwing down so much money for a show I haven't even seen yet but if we can prove to the universe that Shoujo anime does have a market here it'll be worth every penny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
Why aren't people bitching and making fools of themselves about this like they were when funimation did the same thing?

Besides the "lolol funimation is the biggest in 'merica!!"
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Why aren't people bitching and making fools of themselves about this like they were when funimation did the same thing?

Because unlike Escaflowne, this series was never dubbed and may not even go through.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
redranger wrote:

Because unlike Escaflowne, this series was never dubbed and may not even go through.

At this point, it looks extremely good for it to reach initial goal. It's now two-thirds funded(currently at $103,525) and has 12 days and change remaining. The Sho VA reveal could happen as soon as Tuesday going by its current pace.

Blu-ray stretch goal(which would be an upscale done by Justin Sevakis) is also possible but not guaranteed(it is more than halfway there to Blu-ray goal). That would all depend on whether it gets funded before the last 3 days.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the Kickstarter of Skip Beat makes it. It would be a shame for it to not make it when it's almost near the finish.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Doesn't it feel a bit weird to cast actors when it hasn't even been confirmed that the dub is going through according to the Kickstarter page? Honestly, where it stands now, I'm not sure if it will get dubbed, unless we all pool in over $60,000 in just two weeks.

It can happen. Crowdfunding campaigns, especially high-profile ones, get big boosts near the end. You get a lot of people sitting on the fence, either not sure if they want to contribute or not or they want to make sure it'll reach the goal before they contribute.

We're about two-thirds through, and they have about two-thirds of the goal. I have seen campaigns succeed with far less relative to their own goals at 12 days remaining. (Although none of them made it to their stretch goals.)
xxfury2xx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel confident that this campaign is going to make it. Most campaigns hit a lull towards the middle, just like this one did. Although it's starting to pick back up. If you look at Kicktraq, it's on its way to meet its goal: https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/85938147/skip-beat-official-north-american-release/

Once it makes it past the original number it needs I think there will be a strong push for the blu-ray stretch goal, which I also think it'll get. Could you imagine NA getting a blu-ray release before Japan?! That's almost unthinkable, but it's very possible with this campaign.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

Because crowdfunding campaigns like Kickstarter are meant to raise money for a project that would otherwise not have any other options for getting made. It is not intended to be a marketing and pre-order system, which is what Funimation did with Escaflowne. Not only does Funimation have the financial means to re-localize that show, but they also acknowledged the fact that there is a clear market for the new uncut version and publicly stated that fans should just treat the Kickstarter campaign as a pre-order mechanism.

Skip Beat on the other hand has never been licensed or localized in North America. All the big companies are too afraid that the shoujo market isn't big enough to warrant the risk of licensing and localizing Skip Beat. Hence, this ongoing Kickstarter project is the only way that Skip Beat will ever have a chance of being released in NA.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I do think it's going to be a nail-biter. It seems to be taking a huge amount of will and enthusiasm to keep it moving. But there is that will, so I'm hopeful. It will be the ultimate anime present for my wife (who liked Nana, for example, and is the world's biggest Hana Yori Dango fan).
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Why in the blue hell did it take THIS LONG for Skip Beat to finally get licensed and dubbed? It premiered nearly eight years go in Japan, and NOW someone finally picks it up? WTF?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Why in the blue hell did it take THIS LONG for Skip Beat to finally get licensed and dubbed? It premiered nearly eight years go in Japan, and NOW someone finally picks it up? WTF?

Shoujo anime is seen as more risky since there is this viewpoint that it might not sell as well as other types of anime(although Fruits Basket proves that shoujo can sell).

The fact that TV Tokyo wanted a dub for this 2-cour series has also held back licensors from getting it. At least now Pied Piper is finally going to be able to give this show the release that fans have been waiting for[chances are looking better that the Blu-ray might happen too. Locked subs are an unfortunate requirement and it will be an upscale but still].
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Kicktraq has a "Trending Toward" number and a "Projection Range". The "Trending Toward" number indicates this Kickstarter will be easily funded, while "Projection Range" indicates that it might or might not be funded. I don't know how much weight to give either assessment.

Funding: $106,374 of $155,000
Trending Toward: $173,859, 112% of Goal
Projection Range: Low: $134,226; High: $174,382

Projection Cone: Skip Beat! Official North American Release:
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/85938147/skip-beat-official-north-american-release/#chart-exp-projection

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Shoujo anime is seen as more risky since there is this viewpoint that it might not sell as well as other types of anime(although Fruits Basket proves that shoujo can sell).

The fact that TV Tokyo wanted a dub for this 2-cour series has also held back licensors from getting it. At least now Pied Piper is finally going to be able to give this show the release that fans have been waiting for[chances are looking better that the Blu-ray might happen too. Locked subs are an unfortunate requirement and it will be an upscale but still].
doesn't Kamisama count as a Shojo? that got dubbed quickly and had second season plus OVAs soon after the first season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3