• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I could hazard a guess that the "39 episodes" just represents how many they'll do before they take a break and then continue on with the rest. Stardust Crusaders stopped after 24 episodes and then split the rest into the Egypt Arc after a few months off air.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Sad to see we seem to be following the monster-of-the-day format of Part 3... But it's Jojo's. It still manages to never be boring.

Are there music name references in this part? I've yet to see any. =(

There is literally no part without musical references. It's only that in Part IV almost all Stands are named after bands or songs that are widely popular and unless you lived under a rock (heh) you must have heard of one, in this case is Crazy Diamond (Shine on, you Crazy Diamond from Pink Floyd), The Hand (from the band 'The Band'), and Aqua Necklace is an Asia's album.

It gets a little more obscure on Part VII and VIII, though.
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
Sad to see we seem to be following the monster-of-the-day format of Part 3... But it's Jojo's. It still manages to never be boring.

There is literally no part without musical references. It's only that in Part IV almost all Stands are named after bands or songs that are widely popular and unless you lived under a rock (heh) you must have heard of one, in this case is Crazy Diamond (Shine on, you Crazy Diamond from Pink Floyd), The Hand (from the band 'The Band'), and Aqua Necklace is an Asia's album.

Especially in part VII. No one knows what D4C means
Detrimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
AngryMoM wrote:

It's an ACDC album

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Detrimont wrote:
AngryMoM wrote:

It's an ACDC album

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

That's the joke in ASB localization.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, JoJo's is the best anime of the season so far for me, or at least the most entertaining. Episode 2 especially was excellent. Also, the editing and scene transitions in this show is fantastic! I really hope they maintain that.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

I don't necessarily live under a rock musically, but I actually haven't heard of any of them. I should have known the Pink Floyd one, but I've never heard of Asia or 'The Band'.

Darn, I was getting pretty much all of them in Part I and II.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
I don't necessarily live under a rock musically, but I actually haven't heard of any of them. I should have known the Pink Floyd one, but I've never heard of Asia or 'The Band'.

Darn, I was getting pretty much all of them in Part I and II.

Well, maybe The Band or Asia are not that famous, but most of the others used are certainly pretty famous. By the way, there are references in Part III, just not mainly in Stands.
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I hear a lot of good things about Jojo on the net so I decided to watch the first episode of Diamond is Unbreakable to see what the fuss is all about.

After the first episode I absolutely did not feel impelled to watch another but on a whim I watched episode 2 anyways. The 2nd episode is better but I still don't see anything that would make me feel like watching the third episode.

Got no problem with the animation style or the animation quality and I can clearly see where the gimmicks are when they try to live up to the adjective "Bizarre" in the title which I suppose are the plus parts of the series because there's so far not a lot going for it otherwise.

I see people have supernatural powers and "spirit embodiments" which they use to fight other spirit embodiments which on paper sounds like a decent premise for an action series but the actual fights are bizarrely bland with the most used move being a simple punch followed by a typical "rapid-fire" punch combo. That's it. I've seen a lot of action series in my time so this doesn't even come across as average. The water guy in episode 2 only shook things up a little since his spirit embodiment is quite versatile, but in the end his real body was found and punched into a rock, the end.

I know Jojo has many independent sagas so I guess I can't speak for most of Jojo in general (unless most of it is similar in most respects to Diamond is Unbreakable) but as far as DiU is concerned, it's overhyped and I feel my expectations going in to my first encounter with Jojo to be a bit too high (not that if my expectations were low my opinion would have been any different).
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
snip

Calling a series overhyped after watching two episodes of something you haven't watched the prequels of seems quite rushed to me, if people are hyping it is because they either have been watching or know the manga. Also, seeing that the "only" move is a rapid fire punch means that you're not exactly paying attention to the thinking that goes into using the actual power of a Stand like Crazy Diamond. The rapid fistcuffs is just a characteristic visual effect of the series, not related to the power of the Stand at all (except in the cases of the super basic Power Stand that appear at first in Stardust Crusaders).

What Josuke does with Crazy Diamond is rapidly punch and fix things at the same time, thus he can even punch through people for his real target like nothing. He catches Aqua Necklace punching through his mother's stomach, breaking the water bottle, catching the Stand, and fixing all of those in one fell swoop. He also does this to get through walls without problem, and is also able to send back the Stand to it's user to locate him. Plus, when he gets mad, he doesn't "fix" things, he makes a mess of anything that he is touching, like fusing Angelo's body with a rock, or leaving a knife inside someone's stomach. Someone like Jotaro could only destroy them, he doesn't have such power of fixing (since his Stand is the most basic type, heck, it's the first Stand shown).

Either keep watching before concluding on something or go and start back at Part I which it's how it's supposed to go.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
I hear a lot of good things about Jojo on the net so I decided to watch the first episode of Diamond is Unbreakable to see what the fuss is all about.

After the first episode I absolutely did not feel impelled to watch another but on a whim I watched episode 2 anyways. The 2nd episode is better but I still don't see anything that would make me feel like watching the third episode.

Got no problem with the animation style or the animation quality and I can clearly see where the gimmicks are when they try to live up to the adjective "Bizarre" in the title which I suppose are the plus parts of the series because there's so far not a lot going for it otherwise.

I see people have supernatural powers and "spirit embodiments" which they use to fight other spirit embodiments which on paper sounds like a decent premise for an action series but the actual fights are bizarrely bland with the most used move being a simple punch followed by a typical "rapid-fire" punch combo. That's it. I've seen a lot of action series in my time so this doesn't even come across as average. The water guy in episode 2 only shook things up a little since his spirit embodiment is quite versatile, but in the end his real body was found and punched into a rock, the end.

I know Jojo has many independent sagas so I guess I can't speak for most of Jojo in general (unless most of it is similar in most respects to Diamond is Unbreakable) but as far as DiU is concerned, it's overhyped and I feel my expectations going in to my first encounter with Jojo to be a bit too high (not that if my expectations were low my opinion would have been any different).

Oh this is your typical anime fan these days. Watched 2 episodes of the fourth season without knowing how we even got to the situation we are in, judges the series by these 2 episodes and even manages to write a super long reply to a related discussion thread.

Do you not see the problem in that? Please think your behavior through.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:38 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
TrueZangetsu wrote:

Also hope that no content is cut, due to rumors that it's just 39 episodes.

They changed the original intro of Phantom Blood and practically took out Danny burning to death in the same arc and you're worried about them pruning out content?

Actually I am because of two reasons.

First, Stardust crusaders didn't cut anything from the original source material except for the senator Philips scene in a way. And on a second note, part 4 is among my favorite parts and I want them do do it justice more than they did with previous parts. Which I'm honestly sure they will, but for me, this is the arc I care for most, or let's say all the parts starting with 4 onwards.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:06 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Well, maybe The Band or Asia are not that famous, but most of the others used are certainly pretty famous. By the way, there are references in Part III, just not mainly in Stands.

The Band were pretty famous in the 60s and 70s.

Asia was popular 80s supergroup, most well known for their song Heat Of The Moment.

Right, most of the music references will now move onto stands rather than characters and that will be pretty consistent until part 7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
Valhern wrote:

The Band were pretty famous in the 60s and 70s.

Asia was popular 80s supergroup, most well known for their song Heat Of The Moment.

Right, most of the music references will now move onto stands rather than characters and that will be pretty consistent until part 7.

I meant, like, not "now". It's unlikely that you haven't heard of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, RHCP, or Queen, but it's not weird that you haven't heard of Asia nowadays.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
So far my favorite fight has been against Angelo, but to be fair Oyaksu is an idiot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28