• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
rxargyros wrote:
what the different between ghost in the shell 2 & ghost in the shell 2.0
I'm confused.

2: Innocence is the sequel, 2.0 refers to the touched-up special edition version of the original first movie, which doesn't nearly deserve the hate it's gotten. I think it gets across the otherworldy spirituality that the movie's story was trying to convey, while the original version's tone felt mostly like pure sci-fi (which isn't a criticism).
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
Never got around to this GITS movie. I've been a fan of the GITS:SAC anime since before I was a preteen, but didn't watch this because I was told it is immensely frightening.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Never got around to this GITS movie. I've been a fan of the GITS:SAC anime since before I was a preteen, but didn't watch this because I was told it is immensely frightening.

It's actually no more "frightening" than 2nd Gig.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine why anyone would refer to GITS Innocence as "immensely frightening". It does have action and some explicit gore, but no more than many other anime. It can be a bit confusing as it has a theme of questioning the objective reality of some of the participants. This is one of those movies that improves with multiple watches. You are likely to see something new every time you watch it. I suppose the idea that you could be in a waking hallucination might scare some people, but no one yet has enhanced senses and brains, so it really isn't a problem.

GITS Innocence is a beautiful show. It shows what can be done with CG animation when they want to. There are a lot of scenes that are more for the artistry than the plot. It also has excellent music. When it first came out on DVD, they also offered a separate DVD for sale of just music videos of the songs and animation from it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
GITS Innocence is a beautiful show. It shows what can be done with CG animation when they want to. There are a lot of scenes that are more for the artistry than the plot. It also has excellent music.

Hither twice. Innocence is quite a hallmark for the use of computer imagery as a medium for thematic expression and visual verbosity. It is as if Oshii was given free reign to fully relish in the haunting ambience that enrobes the franchise.
(For those left wanting by the ending of the original film, it also acts to address the question of the principle characters' unusual relationship.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
If there's no Major, it's NOT A SEQUEL. It's more of a "side-spinoff" cyborg-identity story, meaning, Oshii had some other art-film brain-poot he wanted to film, and like Beautiful Dreamer or the Patlabor Movie, used one of his existing series properties as an excuse to hitch it to.
I still associate it with that gag from Oh Edo Rocket, where an ancient folktale turns onscreen into an old-school 16-bit JRPG, our hero has to summon a sleep-spell to defeat his enemies--And in English, we see him choose from the Angel's Egg or GITS2: Innocence spells to knock his enemies into dreamland. Razz

(Even during the Ebert's-List craze of praising any art-anime import that showed up in US arthouses just because you never watched the series, critics thought they had to praise it for showing up and being "bold", but weren't kind to the fact that it wasn't THE Ghost in the Shell heir to what they had just praised a few years earlier, and not to mention was a muddled bore.
A lot of series/OVA fans probably put themselves through it for the same bait-and-switch.)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Oshii has to have one of the best eyes for atmosphere in anime. This and the original film really sold the environment of cyberpunk Japan and Innocence in particular was a great hallmark for using 3D CG animation to enhance 2D.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I will just have to check it out then Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
If there's no Major, it's NOT A SEQUEL.

I tentatively beg to differ! spoiler[Her role in the film is somewhat brief, but it would be quite uncharitable to say it is not a significant one.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
@EricJ2

You obviously didn't like Innocence, which is your privilege. In spite of that, the manner in which the Major is depicted in Innocence is what makes it a sequel. It continues from the ending of both the original manga and the prior movie.

The Stand Alone Complex TV series is an alternate retelling which ignores the ending of the first movie. It is not a sequel. Your reaction was not uncommon which is why the TV series elected to do a retelling and ignore the prior ending.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Oh nice. I liked this movie quite a bit so it's good to see it rescued. The Bandai dub is also fantastic, Richard Epcar steals the show as Batou.

Yup, the SAC cast is such perfection. Epcar is such a great Batou.
Even with it being very talky at times (particularly with the quotes), him and Crispin Freeman's Togusa makes it cool to listen to.

It'll be cool seeing this back in print on blu-ray.

spoiler[McGlynn was also fantastic in her brief return for the Major toward the end of the movie. Watching (and listening to) her continue to kick ass was awesome.]
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
Though I know it's not exactly the same thing, there are a handful of fansub releases that were able to match the PAL dub to the regular video (i.e. co-existing without issue with the American dub). That said, the task shouldn't be too daunting for Funimation, and I'd assume that all "older" Ghost in the Shell stuffs would be get special-treatment re-releases since they're classics which might mean they'd go through the trouble of doing so.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

That said, the task shouldn't be too daunting for Funimation, and I'd assume that all "older" Ghost in the Shell stuffs would be get special-treatment re-releases since they're classics which might mean they'd go through the trouble of doing so.

Once the live-action GitS film comes out, expect a lot of other GitS to come out too to take advantage of the exposure.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Niiiice. I've been meaning to watch this.
Clowgirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know when or if Funimation will be releasing Innocence on Blu-Ray/DVD? I'd love to get it but can't find it anywhere (I'm assuming it's currently out of print). I'd love to watch it again, especially with the live action movie coming up in the new year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3