• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Reveals Details of Stitch!, Nightmare Before Christmas Manga Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
Yeah, GIMP itself has died really as a program. But apparently they are rebuilding it, basically, behind the scenes so who knows. But I agree. It was a pretty difficult program to use back in the day.

Oh God that Van Hunter thing they tried to do was hilarious. Link in case people haven't seen the bad, cringe-worthy movie starring Yuri Lowenthal. And guess who wrote it and directed it - Stu Levy.

But Tokyopop is still pretty big in Germany, so I guess that is what has been sustaining it.

Huh, interesting. That's why he was able to jump right back in like that. It looks like he's learned nothing in the past years though.

What has taken GIMP's place now as a free or low-cost alternative to Photoshop? I'm still using GIMP to this day (as recently as last night).
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Huh, interesting. That's why he was able to jump right back in like that. It looks like he's learned nothing in the past years though.

What has taken GIMP's place now as a free or low-cost alternative to Photoshop? I'm still using GIMP to this day (as recently as last night).

Depends on what you want to do.
If it is for art, then I recommend:
Krita: for the cutting edge of free software but more illustration based
MediBang Paint: for the best free comic maker
MyPaint: Pretty good as well just not as developed as others. You may prefer the layout.
Best 'low cost' for art:
Clip Paint Studio: the best for comic making, inking. Dave Gibbons of Watchmen fame uses this program to ink.
Rebelle: Rather real life dynamic of paints.
Paintstorm Pro: Paintlike features and can paint realistically in perspective. But a bit buggy.

Free for vectors you have inkscape.

As for photo-manipulation, the big up-and-comer is the Affinity package. Way cheaper than photoshop but definitely seems like it might be better than it.
Get it here. I have the beta for Windows but I haven't tested it much yet.
There is also:
Paintshop Pro x8: Pretty good alternative to photoshop, been a bit wayward in the past but it has seemed to catch up a lot.
MacPhun Creative Kit: Seems really good too, just it's only for Macs so I haven't tested it.
There is also Capture One Pro but then we are getting expensive.

Unfortunately for free there isn't too much but Google Nix exists for photo editing.

Hopefully that points you in the right direction?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
Heh, thanks. I've grown rather used to how GIMP works, and I was wondering why it hasn't updated in a long time. I'm kind of in the odd situation where I draw for fun but don't know anyone else who draws for fun, so I have to figure everything out on my own and I find myself having never heard of things that look like common knowledge in art communities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2