• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
An episode I was really looking forward to, since this is the type of story Mob Psycho is, and the strongest peaks are the inspection of Mob's personality and life, although the action scenes are great and pleasant, it's the direction tricks that give Mob real life.

It shuold be worthy to note Reigen's role in all of this. As you can see, the last layer that was holding back Mob's actions was that Dimple could be a human, and Reigen especially taught him not to use his powers on humans, he was all raring to go when Dimple said "Get a clue". It's not restraining his emotions, it's building his ethic, and Mob surely learned it well and understands the fundament of this lesson.

At the same time, Reigen is certainly not a goody two shoes, he is a jerk but also human. The way he speaks is like a very blunt person would, yet at the same time the way he advises Mob is also how a honest (in a "always speaks his mind" kind of honest) and confident person would, those are not mutually exclusive. When he sees that Mob is actually troubled for his problems, he doesn't laugh it off like at the start (a lot of people make a joke when a friend comes with a problem and then act serious) and actually eases his stress.

Last edited by Valhern on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
This episode definitely has me looking forward to more Very Happy While it's not doing anything for me on the humor front,the character-writing on Mob is fantastic so far.The way it's dealing his anxieties of fitting is extremely relatable and handled really well.The animation and direction is still great (most importantly the visuals aren't showy for the hell of it like a lot shows do) .Special mention to the OST during the fight,which evaluated that scene a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, this was really touching for an episode 3. The climax, described on paper or through quotes of the dialogue, really ran the risk of devolving into a weird chuuni power-fantasy about a boy who is secretly really powerful but who society just doesn't understand. I think what saved it is the show's explication of Mob's pathos as lying in a specific kind of internalized self-hatred: instead of his outburst just being a tantrum against society, it was framed as a rage against a particular psychological phenomenon wherein Mob uses the values of the ...mob... as the lens through which he understands his own identity and worth; as a temporary rejection of that process as a sensible or necessary method of self-evaluation.

His conversation with Reigen at the end was really the highlight of the episode for me though, since it surgically isolated Mob's struggle as being between the evaluations of others of him vs his own evaluation of himself. When Mob says he "ruins people's fun" Reigen's response of "Why do you have to be like them?" implies that what Mob is actually doing by taking responsibility for "ruining their fun" is internalizing their value-system and using it to understand himself as a "fun-ruiner".

I also really appreciate Reigen's seamless conflation of intelligence/common sense with the ability to meet social expectations: Mob's individuality, from the perspective of the mob, is a lack of intelligence, which means that when Mob internalizes that crowd perspective it's a short path to self-hatred; when he fully individuates that conflation breaks down, and power is wrested from the perspective of the crowd and the crowd's notion of intellect to Mob's telekinesis.
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Was a bit confused by the use of "get a clue" in the translation of this episode.
That phrase didn't really relate to Mob's problem with handling emotions for me.
But apparently the original japanese proverb
can also be translated into something like "ease up/try it out (smiling,laughing)/etc", which makes much more sense to me.
Mob wants to "ease up", "try smiling" and fit in, but he can't because he is afraid to lose control if his emotions get the better of him. Strong stuff.
The more you know.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:
Was a bit confused by the use of "get a clue" in the translation of this episode.
That phrase didn't really relate to Mob's problem with handling emotions for me.
can also be translated into something like "ease up/try it out (smiling,laughing)/etc", which makes much more sense to me.
Mob wants to "ease up", "try smiling" and fit in, but he can't because he is afraid to lose control if his emotions get the better of him. Strong stuff.
The more you know.

The "Get a clue" line refers to Mob's inability to read the atmosphere, which in this case, proved to be Dimple's downfall as his attempts to brainwash him basically fell on deaf ears.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:
The more you know.

The translation I read wrote "Read the mood", which probably was easier to put in manga form since it doesn't have to match an audio. To me that scene also means that he cannot understand the "normality" of a situation, and that he can't understand or read people. It's also connected with the first half ot this episode, when the telepathy topic is brought up with Reigen, and he automatically can tell what Mob was thinking, this certainly surprises him because he cannot do that, and it's even more interesting because Reigen said before that "I cannot use telepathy" yet what he did literally felt like telepathy to Mob, as in "it's like he read my thoughts!", which Reigen could do because he knows and tries to understand him.

This is also more obvious with the cult woman that Mob meets, it sounds like a joke that the woman used as many possiblities possible to catch Mob's attention and she is obviously suspicious yet Mob accepts because he was really interested in being popular. But that can also be seen as Mob being incapable of reading people's intentions or "the mood", as well as being impressed of people who can apparently read his thoughts.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised at the positive response, I though it was extraordinary boring episode, the final fight was coolish for the animation, but it wasn't that interesting since it was so one sided. And the comedy felt way tone down, there must have been maybe 10 joke in the full episode with maybe half landing. I was actually surprised at how long the fight was till I actually notice how short the whole cult sequence actually had been because it felt so long. The entire segment of the milk laugh challenge seem completely devoid of purpose and really should have been cut. Then the whole count-down that they were making a big deal out of turned out to be nothing special. I guess I'll watch next episode but if its like this again I'm jumping ship here, it's clearly going in a direction that I'm not interested in.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was alright. But Mob acting "emo cool" at the end made me roll my eyes a bit. Boring as he might be, I prefer "Edgar Allen Mob" over "Night Pain". I also wish the show could have more fun with its comedy; it's the same reason I couldn't enjoy One Punch Man as much as I would have liked, because it comes across more dead than deadpan.
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This show's been a bit of a disappointment. I spend most of the episodes wishing I could enjoy it more. None of it is clicking so far but hopefully that could change soon.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
The translation I read wrote "Read the mood", which probably was easier to put in manga form since it doesn't have to match an audio.

The Japanese phrase is literally "read the atmosphere", which is basically the same as "read the mood". "Be able to infer how people expect others to act in this situation."
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
The people who are looking for pure comedy would probably be better off watching The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. which didn't do all too well in the preview guide but has become pretty funny IMHO.

That being said, i for one love this show, the characters and the sense of humour so far. Smile
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:

The "Get a clue" line refers to Mob's inability to read the atmosphere, which in this case, proved to be Dimple's downfall as his attempts to brainwash him basically fell on deaf ears.

Valhern wrote:

The translation I read wrote "Read the mood", which probably was easier to put in manga form since it doesn't have to match an audio. To me that scene also means that he cannot understand the "normality" of a situation, and that he can't understand or read people. It's also connected with the first half ot this episode, when the telepathy topic is brought up with Reigen, and he automatically can tell what Mob was thinking, this certainly surprises him because he cannot do that, and it's even more interesting because Reigen said before that "I cannot use telepathy" yet what he did literally felt like telepathy to Mob, as in "it's like he read my thoughts!", which Reigen could do because he knows and tries to understand him.

This is also more obvious with the cult woman that Mob meets, it sounds like a joke that the woman used as many possiblities possible to catch Mob's attention and she is obviously suspicious yet Mob accepts because he was really interested in being popular. But that can also be seen as Mob being incapable of reading people's intentions or "the mood", as well as being impressed of people who can apparently read his thoughts.

I got all of that. My problem was with Mob getting seriously upset with that phrase being used (to the point where he calls it awful/horrible later in the episode), which seemed weird to me, since "get a clue" doesn't have that big of a negative connotation to me.
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
|comicchaser| wrote:

I got all of that. My problem was with Mob getting seriously upset with that phrase being used (to the point where he calls it awful/horrible later in the episode), which seemed weird to me, since "get a clue" doesn't have that big of a negative connotation to me.

Well, it doesn't, normally. That's why everyone is so comfortable casually saying it to him. It only hits hard because of his particular circumstances, because it reminds him of what he perceives of as his core failing, his social helplessness.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
"THESE are my emotions: Emo and EDGE"
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
But Mob acting "emo cool" at the end made me roll my eyes a bit. Boring as he might be, I prefer "Edgar Allen Mob" over "Night Pain".

JustinTaco wrote:
"THESE are my emotions: Emo and EDGE"

That's a whole new level of missing the point.

When Mob says "These are my emotions" he means that those are his emotions after they pissed him off. He wasn't mad that they tried to make him laugh nor he tried to make society realize that fun sucks or anything like that. It irritated him because he didn't want to be there for laughing, and before realizing that it was an evil spirit, he wanted to walk away. When Dimple said "I want to make you know how wonderful it is to laugh" and Mob is like "Okay, you do you, I don't care", in the translation it's read like "That's okay" but I don't know if that gets the message across. He stayed and accepted the challange...because he liked milk, nothing else.

Even when they force him to spill the milk, he wants to walk away, and when he realizes that Dimple is using psychic power and says "Get a clue", he says "Your powers won't make me laugh, but I don't mean anything bad by that" he still thinks that people are having fun and doesn't want to spoil that, and it's almost like he is saying that to the classmates that said the same thing to him. He truly gets pissed off when Dimple tries to make assumptions out of himi as if his way of life was horrible, and that he is telling him to read the mood when everybody else cannot read that Mob doesn't want to be there. I would get really pissed off too, what right do they have to say that I'm living a miserable life because I don't act like everybody else? That's why he is like "Come at me bro, make me laugh with your powers" but still he didn't want to fight yet, it wasn't until he noticed that Dimple was an evil spirit that he decided to kick his ass, that's what he needed (since he can't read the mood) to know that there was an evil intention behind this, and his anger was justified.

But when he finishes fighting, he is sort of depressed because he spoiled the fun for everyone, even if it was done by an evil spirit, that's why the talk with Reigen eases him so much and makes the Psycho power drop to zero.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14