• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most (And Least) Relatable Gundam Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok not arguing that Kira is difficult to relate to (at least once he gets the Freedom), but your info about Kira is a bit inaccurate

Quote:
He never loses

You might want to put an "almost" in that line. He does lose a few battles and has to get bailed out by others a few times as well. Also are we forgetting about his duel with Shin in Destiny? In the first 30 episodes of SEED Kira is is just barely winning most of his battles and only gets about 2-3 kills each fight. Now granted I agree that once he gets the Freedom he pretty much become an unstoppable juggernaut, so the criticism about him being overpowered is certainly justified.
Quote:
He's brilliant with the ladies

Wait what? No he's not
He only has two love interests and one of them was a psychopath that seduced him. If anyone in the SEED universe is a chick magnet it's Athrun Zala although to be fair it's not really his fault.
Quote:
His picture is in the dictionary next to “gunboat diplomacy.

If we are talking about DESTINY then I partially agree.
SEED though I have to completely disagree. He's on the defensive for most of the series and while he goes on the offensive in the last arc by that point the Earth Alliance and ZAFT are literally trying to commit genocide against each other. So yeah, I see no problem with his actions as far as SEED goes .
Quote:
He doesn't want to fight (but if you insist, he will slaughter you).

Quote:
Kira sure spends a lot of time decimating his enemies.

Ok not to be too picky but these lines kind of gives the impression that he kills his enemies which he rarely does once he gets the Freedom.

Last edited by Zetabag on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Heero is very relatable to someone who grew up with a narcissistic/emotionally abusive parent. I could see the struggle of having feelings even though he's "not supposed to" and it is depressingly accurate to how I was at his age.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I do feel like a lot of the people who talk crap about Kira have never actually watched the show. He is a 16 year old kid thrust into the middle of a system wide war, he is actually very emotionally fragile, which is why flay was able to take advantage of him, and although I do think he is the best pilot, he faces several opponents in tough battles, and overall is far from perfect.

I feel like too many people make accusations about him with little to go.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah, wouldn't be a Gundam Fandom without a lack of consensus agreements.

Hm, not sure if any on that list is relatable in a form of realism situations. I'd say they'd be diagnosed with social awkwardness at best and autism at worst. Really, Amuro Ray spent a good chunk of his childhood holed up in his room tinkering with machines prior to the series. And lol on Domon. Dude's a Super Robot Protag in a Gundam show. I'd steer clear of anyone who relates to a dork like him in real life. Sei resonates mainly to kids for obvious reasons. This list is pretty whack. Except, Shiro Amada I suppose. He's the most "normal" one of the bunch which goes without saying since he stars in M.A.S.H.: Gundam Edition.

And the disdain for Kira "Peace be upon Him" Yamato is alive and well. I'm gonna pull another unpopular opinion card and say he's certainly not unrelatable in Seed pre-Freedom arc. He reacts way more realistically than Amuro, his supposed original. If your life just got turned around and you had to fight your own people for the sake of your friends, you'd cry too. Don't kid yourself that you're Chirico Cuvie badass.

Kamille was just a mess, both in regards to personality and the plot. I can tell Tomino really had it in for the guy because of the way he wrote Zeta. You could say he was picking on a mentally challenged child. This seems to be a trend with Newtypes, but then there's Judau. IMO, he's the most relatable outta that steaming pile of "humanity's next evolution" (Sorry, Char I don't buy into your sale's pitch.)
hack5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Ah, wouldn't be a Gundam Fandom without a lack of consensus agreements.

Hm, not sure if any on that list is relatable in a form of realism situations. I'd say they'd be diagnosed with social awkwardness at best and autism at worst. Really, Amuro Ray spent a good chunk of his childhood holed up in his room tinkering with machines prior to the series. And lol on Domon. Dude's a Super Robot Protag in a Gundam show. I'd steer clear of anyone who relates to a dork like him in real life. Sei resonates mainly to kids for obvious reasons. This list is pretty whack. Except, Shiro Amada I suppose. He's the most "normal" one of the bunch which goes without saying since he stars in M.A.S.H.: Gundam Edition.

And the disdain for Kira "Peace be upon Him" Yamato is alive and well. I'm gonna pull another unpopular opinion card and say he's certainly not unrelatable in Seed pre-Freedom arc. He reacts way more realistically than Amuro, his supposed original. If your life just got turned around and you had to fight your own people for the sake of your friends, you'd cry too. Don't kid yourself that you're Chirico Cuvie badass.

Kamille was just a mess, both in regards to personality and the plot. I can tell Tomino really had it in for the guy because of the way he wrote Zeta. You could say he was picking on a mentally challenged child. This seems to be a trend with Newtypes, but then there's Judau. IMO, he's the most relatable outta that steaming pile of "humanity's next evolution" (Sorry, Char I don't buy into your sale's pitch.)

This! i totally agree with your post,you said everything that i wanted to say but just couldnt find the words or was too lazy to get into the details but the list is such BS that i just ......
Gundam build fighters,domon really......REALLY!!
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
And I know that Lauren is ANN's expert to everything Gundam-related, but most of the times I find myself thinking that she simply does not relate with the opinions of the Gundam fandom at large. Heck, I don't always agree with penguintruth, but to me he/she is more of a Gundam expert than Ms. Orsini.

I see a lot of people give folks writing anywhere about Gundam a hard time. Ms. Orsini's opinion on Gundam doesn't really mean anything relative to the wider fandom of Gundam; this is especially prudent to consider against how rabidly angry Gundam fans can be. No serious news outlet would hire writers who are as bitter and elitist as many of the best known Gundam fans. Honestly, I've never seen anyone write about Gundam and not be called out as a bad person or, alternatively, not a true Gundam fan.

I bet Ms. Orsini knows more about certain aspects of Gundam than any of us readers do and vice versa, there are facets of the fandom in which our personal knowledge may be deeper than hers. It doesn't actually mean anything though.

To make a point, I know enough about Gundam to see an error in this editorial regarding a character. Frankly though, this instance is emphatically minor; the article doesn't suffer any ill from the mistake. I'm not any more superior because I've found it and she no less of a writer for having made the error.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I do feel like a lot of the people who talk crap about Kira have never actually watched the show. He is a 16 year old kid thrust into the middle of a system wide war, he is actually very emotionally fragile, which is why flay was able to take advantage of him, and although I do think he is the best pilot, he faces several opponents in tough battles, and overall is far from perfect.

I feel like too many people make accusations about him with little to go.

I think the issue is more Destiny Kira gets lumped in with SEED Kira. Destiny Kira is basically a god with all the answers.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I think the issue is more Destiny Kira gets lumped in with SEED Kira. Destiny Kira is basically a god with all the answers.

Well Seed Destiny does seem to ruin any good qualities Seed had. In my opinion Seed was a decent modern retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Definitely not great but not terrible either, it was okay. Destiny though was a complete and utter mess of a show from beginning to end in pretty much every way possible. All three of the main characters were terrible in completely different ways. Shinn was arrogant, whiny, and hypocritical throughout the series and only got worst, Athrun was an passive indecisive idiot who kept wondering to himself if he should do something, and Kira was freaking Jesus Christ in their universe.

The villains of the show were completely unbelievable they were like cartoon characters. What I mean by that is Gundam has generally done a good job at telling us the travesties of war and that while both sides claim to be righteous neither side really is committing their own travesties. In Seed Destiny you have the Earth Alliance were basically a bunch of psychotic mustache twirling villains. I mean they start out flying dozens upon dozens of nuclear missiles at one of the colonies in the first episode. Then with Zaft the leader should have had a sign over his head reading "Obvious Villain is Obvious."

Then you have the animation which is by far one of the most laughable of any series in all anime history. They reuse the same frames of footage throughout the series where you could literally see the same shot multiple times an episode.

There were plenty of other crap in the series that bugged the crap out of me but I rather not go on. Seed Destiny in my opinion was an absolute garbage fire of a series and by far the worst series to come out of the Gundam Franchise.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
And then there's the UC fanboys who make it a point to snub their noses at anyone who even dares to say anything good about AU Gundam, especially Seed. Just because, you know, "UC Master Race."

Quote:
I see a lot of people give folks writing anywhere about Gundam a hard time. Ms. Orsini's opinion on Gundam doesn't really mean anything relative to the wider fandom of Gundam; this is especially prudent to consider against how rabidly angry Gundam fans can be. No serious news outlet would hire writers who are as bitter and elitist as many of the best known Gundam fans. Honestly, I've never seen anyone write about Gundam and not be called out as a bad person or, alternatively, not a true Gundam fan.

Not just Gundam. Mecha fans, in general, have become such an unpleasurable bunch. I chalk it up to embitterment about how they're no longer being exclusively pandered to in the anime industry.

Monster Hunter wrote:

In Seed Destiny you have the Earth Alliance were basically a bunch of psychotic mustache twirling villains. I mean they start out flying dozens upon dozens of nuclear missiles at one of the colonies in the first episode.

This was one of my pet peeves with Destiny aside from restocked animation. The EA weren't exactly saints in SEED either, but at least they had sympathetic characters from their side spoiler[despite most of them jumping ship to ORB.]. It doubly sucks because I quite liked their Mobile Suit Designs (let's forget their Mobile Armors, shall we.) and aesthetics over the rather over decorated Zaft look. Oh well, there's always Astray to fix Destiny's flaws.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

>Duo implied to be decent when he was the only unlikable guy in Wing's cast.

More unlikeable than Wu-Fei with his sub-par Gundams?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, there's Garrod, a regular guy with no schooling or skills

Not true. Sure, no formal schooling, maybe, but he's a resourceful guy who's good with machines. Heck, his introduction is taking down a mobile suit with a flashbang and a pistol.

Quote:
Shiro becomes more committed to achieving peace through compromise than any other Gundam pilot

Kio says "UNDERSTANDING!!!!"

Quote:
He's easily the most skilled pilot in the entire Gundam franchise

Hahahaha! Okay, that's a good one! Kira's not that skilled, he just has ungodly powerful machines with an aim-bot. Throw him in the Strike Rouge and he does poorly.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Nice inaccuracy you got there, ever since he got the Freedom Kira's kill count was a total of 3 (Calamity's pilot, Rau, and Stella) and it has been confirmed throughout both series the guy intentionally does NOT kill. Did Lauren not remember what happen in SEED and Destiny?

"Decimate" doesn't necessarily mean "kill everyone." Also, that was Athrun that destroyed the Calamity.

But yeah, there has to be a clear distinction between SEED Kira and DESTINY Kira. SEED Kira was actually a good character while in DESTINY he was the nigh untouchable saviour figure who forces his morals on everyone and is never wrong.

I don't care for Kamille either. Most of his anger is understandable but he's acts antagonistic to absolutely everyone, even those he's supposed to get along with. He willingly joins AEUG to fight the Titans, but once he's there all he does is complain about being there.

People give Shinn a lot of crap but he's only antagonistic to those on his bad side. When he's with his friends and people he likes he's a good kid, it's just that we don't really get a chance to see him when he's happy due to the circumstances he finds himself in.

If I had to pick some one I really related to, I suppose I would have to go with Asemu from Gundam AGE. I know that feeling of inferiority from being surrounded by people far more talented than you very well.

Last edited by Vaisaga on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

>Duo implied to be decent when he was the only likable guy in Wing's cast

You misspelled "likable" Razz

Seriously Duo was the only character I liked in Wing for the most part. A lot of the characters in Wing are just either unlikable or downright boring.

Don't really agree with Kira here since Shinn exist. A character who was a whiny detestable jerk. I have problems with Kira towards the end with his forced morals. Like him destroying parts of Gundams to take them outta of fight, something he did to prevent himself from killing people but just left people defenseless on the battlefield. But he was okay.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Athrun was an passive indecisive idiot who kept wondering to himself if he should do something

While I don't agree with most of Destiny's complaints from various sources, this one I have to say something about. Athrun was a patriot to his country mainly because his mom died from the enemy faction and his dad was a high ranking military leader on top of joining the military himself. During the events of SEED he had to defect, late in the game I may add, because his country was becoming the very thing he fought against: Bigoted and violent even toward the innocent (granted it took him longer than Kira, but still). Now cut to Destiny, two years have passed, ZAFT's government has calmed down minus the second stage secret production, then another massive disaster occurs from the Earth Alliance. He finds himself with soldiers in the same army he left and he is given the chance from the chancellor to return (and pardoned) knowing full well that the EA would go back to their genocidal ways if they aren't stopped. On top of that he can also train the next generation on top of that. Later he realizes that corruption is occurring again in ZAFT, this time it isn't obvious and he needed to rely on his old friends who he hasn't contacted with since the end of the last war. Given every circumstance that happened it fell in line with his character and has intelligence behind it all things considered. On top of that it also brings up something most fiction doesn't bring up often: People can go back to bad habits, sometimes temptation does get to them.

On a side note I've been reading here....

>a smart guy being right makes him a bad character

I'm getting too old for this.
Quote:
More unlikeable than Wu-Fei with his sub-par Gundams?

By a mariana trench worth.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh. A lot of butthurt Seed fans. This makes me happy. Anime smile

Lauren's list is actually pretty good. At first, I was kind of wondering why Kamille was put in the unrelatable category (this was mainly due to my love for Zeta), but she makes a good point. Most "angry young man" archetypes have more going for them than just...well, angry. Kamille lacks the nuance that Amuro has, but he still is a heck of a lot more of a character than Kira or even Shinn *shudders.*

I am wondering where Uso Evin would have fallen on this list. Poor little guy. Tries to hold onto as much optimism as he could but winds up having everything blow up in his face. Kinda reminds me of a lot of young folk.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, and for anyone who considers Kira "likable" and "relatable"...

For that first point Stella was in the Destroy Gundam, a heavily armed mobile suit/armor hybrid decimating a continent with no known weak points and constant interference from both factions. As for the second point, Shinn was always the protagonist, Kira was the HEROIC character. Protagonists are not always the hero, just look at GTA games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6