• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood's Tiger & Bunny Film Hires Writer Ellen Shanman

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
Now this looks like something that would definitely have major appeal to the West...

Homo superheroes? I think the appeal will be very limited.

There is only one homosexual in Tiger&Bunny, and that's Fire Emblem, other is just fujo delusions.
But for seriously, T&B is one of the few things that completely WORKS as Hollywood live-action. The story about how the superhero deeds simply turns out as business and marketing, and now they're just the walking billboards, fighting for the TV show ratings... yeah, that type of story completely sells in West for now.

Plus - high-diverse cast with no real need to change and New-York style future metropolis as setting.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of Japanese expats or Japanese-Americans in Cali that keeping Kotetsu Japanese shouldn't be an issue. On diversity, "Cyborg 009" had 005 (a Native American) and 008 (a black guy). Also, Chad from "Bleach" is Okinawan-born but raised in Mexico.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
@BadNewsBlues

The hook for Tiger & Bunny is pretty unique for a superhero movie and it would at least capture the general audience's attention and interest for it and besides, we want good healthy competition among the superhero film arms race, don't we? If One Punch Man and My Hero Academia were to get live action adaptations in Hollywood too, it would help make Marvel and DC step up their game if their competition can give them a run for their money.

@Moroboshi-san

I believe Fire Emblem is the only confirmed gay superhero in the series. The main title characters' relationship is no different from any other buddy cop movie out there and besides, we have yet to have a gay superhero in a mainstream movie and this would definitely help make it stand out among the crowd.

@Black Turtle

Why not keep them Asian? The series is set in a fictional city that kind of resembles New York and it's a pretty diverse area and plus, this series has the most racially diverse cast ever in anime/manga. Also, we already have plenty of white superheroes already and we would want something different to stand out in the crowd because lets face it, when was the last time you ever see an Asian superhero be the MAIN character? One where he plays a very prominent and important role in a Hollywood movie? Can't think of any and no, I am not counting Jubilee from X-Men: Apocalypse and Katana from Suicide Squad because the way their characters were handled were just pitiful as they both just failed the lamp test.

Besides, we already have plenty of white characters in the series and it's about time we need a non-white character be the main hero for once because you already know how much Marvel keeps getting flack for how long it took Black Panther to get made.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
@Lycosyncer
Well, I didn't meant they had to change it. If it's a asian, fine with me. But changing his origin wouldn't hurt the character in the end. This racial quota annoy me. Actor should be chosen for their skills. if he is white, black or asian, what's the matter. I would understand the problem if all character were whitened, but some change wouldn't hurt the character. Except maybe for the Ninja hero, him being Ninj, it's the only one that has a connection between his racial type and the core of the character. If they want Kotetsu white, shihigh black, and blue rose Latino, I don't see any problem with it. If they keep the core of the character true to himself. I didn't say it would be good, but it wouldn't shock me either. You give the racial question too much credit. Now, yeah, if the character became all white, that would feel weird, but in the end, I don't think they have to limit themselves to fit the racial agenda.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

The hook for Tiger & Bunny is pretty unique for a superhero movie and it would at least capture the general audience's attention and interest for it and besides, we want good healthy competition among the superhero film arms race, don't we?

Have you seen the dickwaving contest going on between Marvel & DC fanboys over their cinematic universes?

Lycosyncer wrote:
If One Punch Man and My Hero Academia were to get live action adaptations in Hollywood too, it would help make Marvel and DC step up their game if their competition can give them a run for their money.

The thing is though no one really believes that Marvel needs to step their game up with the successes they've had with Avengers, IronMan, IronMan 2, Winter Soldier,Guardians Of The Galaxy, Age Of Ultron, Antman & Civil War.

Warner Bros. on the other hand?.......Plus with the potential for Audiences getting tired with all these Superhero films which may happen at some point happen with the next two Avenger's movies, the next Spider-Man Batman films, or Justice League that ultimately won't help these projects should that come to pass.

Lycosyncer wrote:
Also, we already have plenty of white superheroes already and we would want something different to stand out in the crowd because lets face it, when was the last time you ever see an Asian superhero be the MAIN character? One where he plays a very prominent and important role in a Hollywood movie?

They're aren't a whole lot of major asian superheros in comic books hence why their hasn't been many films particularly super hero films with them as the main characters. While comic book fans may be familiar with the likes of Ryan Choi and Amadeus Cho everyone else isn't.

Lycosyncer wrote:
Besides, we already have plenty of white characters in the series and it's about time we need a non-white character be the main hero for once because you already know how much Marvel keeps getting flack for how long it took Black Panther to get made.

Black Panther isn't exactly a major character who the mainstream audiences are familiar with the only reason for why we're even getting a Black Panther film is because of the success of Guardians of The Galaxy and Ant-Man.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I love, *love* Tiger & Bunny, and haven't tired yet of US comic movies & TV shows (hoping to hit Suicide Squad tonight, in fact), but I feel this project is destined for development hell. The ethnic diversity is one major hurdle, sure, but Captain America, Guardians, and Suicide Squad have all been pushing that diversity needle successfully.

My take is that Hollywood is unlikely to go for the biting political & social satire that gave T&B some teeth. It was riffing on corporate corruption, endorsements ruining sports, money vs justice, and all the usual crime & punishment stuff that shiny-dystopian stories have.

Maybe a studio exec-producer team with vision & balls/guts could do a good job of it (V for Vendetta and Kick-Ass got made, after all), but on the whole, the folks in charge are very leery of things that make the audience even remotely upset, and satire does that on purpose.

Of course, they could strip all that out, and just make it a fun romp with cool effects, like Speed Racer with costumed heroes, but then I don't think it'll have anything to distinguish it in a crowded market.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
There's Big Hero 6
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
@Black Turtle

I really wish that it was more equal but it's that kind of saying that has lead to Shyamalan's The Last Airbender in the first place. Also, since Ron Howard is involved with this, I am pretty sure he's already familiar with the flack he's been getting for casting Idris Elba as Roland Deschain from The Dark Tower.

If only Asian actors were given more equality in Hollywood then I would have given it a fair chance but alas, we still aren't.

@BadNewsBlues

Yeah and it's rather sad over how DC has gone so insane over how much their beloved property has been going down hill since Zack Snyder took over and at least Marvel can actually back up their stuff.

Yeah, but one would say that they could do even better if they had even better competition.

As for WB, they need to change the staff of whoever is in charge and plus get rid of Snyder pronto in order for them to have a successful future.

Then it's all the more important for Tiger & Bunny to stand out among the crowd if Kotetsu was kept Asian and besides, this would beat both Marvel and DC to the punch if they were the first to have an Asian superhero as a main character.

It's also thanks to Black Panther's first major appearance in Captain America: Civil War that has made him more popular with audiences now and are all now excited in wanting to see his solo film coming out in 2018 now.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Finally, an adaptation that actually MAKES SENSE as a Hollywood movie. Just don't fudge it up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Yeah and it's rather sad over how DC has gone so insane over how much their beloved property has been going down hill since Zack Snyder took over

Warner Bros. has had issues with their DC movie adaptations on and off since 1983. It's easy for people to forget the likes Of Superman 3, Superman 4 TQFP, Steel, Batman & Robin, Constantine, Catwoman, Green Lantern, & Johan Hex. When they have an axe grind with Zack Snyder over Watchmen & Man Of Steel which was nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be.

NeverConvex wrote:
and at least Marvel can actually back up their stuff.

Except both Hulk movies (which they had a bit of involvement in), virtually all the Thor movies, & IronMan 3

NeverConvex wrote:
Yeah, but one would say that they could do even better if they had even better competition.

Don't necessarily think that competition will come in the form of a few ips that most people outside of Japan aren't familiar with but will see.

NeverConvex wrote:
As for WB, they need to change the staff of whoever is in charge and plus get rid of Snyder pronto in order for them to have a successful future.

They're already 3 films in getting rid of Snyder isn't going to have much affect at this point.

NeverConvex wrote:
Then it's all the more important for Tiger & Bunny to stand out among the crowd if Kotetsu was kept Asian and besides, this would beat both Marvel and DC to the punch if they were the first to have an Asian superhero as a main character.

Once again this matters little if Tiger & Bunny's adaptation bombs and even then it won't make lead to either throwing in more Asian superheroes into their films when they already don't have hardly any major ones to start with in the comics superviliians on the other hand.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2