• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Pokemon Uranium

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
To be fair, Code Veronica does a pretty good job explaining how the events of Umbrella's downfall were set in motion. I think that if Code Veronica's storyline had been part of Resident Evil 3 there wouldn't have been as much of a disconnect between the two games.

It still stinks we don't get to play a full game dedicated to taking Umbrella down after all the buils up. A team up of Chris, Jill, Rebecca, Barry, Claire, Leon, and even Ada would have been great. And in the end Wesker rides off into the sunset and sets up his role as the main villain in 4 and 5. I hope any potential sequel or Metroid doesn't sweep that plotline under the rug.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Why did people hate Other M? Because its story and writing were bad and it neutered Samus' character. Not because it existed, because it was bad.

Why do people love the Prime trilogy (1 and 2 more than 3, though) so much? One reason is its story, both in its presentation and quality: it's not spoon-fed to you. It's enough to be there and be good but not too much to get in your way. It's actually the perfect way to tell a story in a game and if you think those games had no story, you're the one who doesn't care.

Complete subjective.

Prime is quite literally a filler arc in the long running shounen that is Metroid. It's not by the actual writers, nothing in it is ever mentioned in the other games after it's all over, it doesn't develop the main story in any way, and it causes inconsistancies if you think too hard about it, like Ridley being some mechanical mutated cyborg when in Super he's not. But I dont see how you can say all that scanning pages of useless info isnt spoon-feeding. It's like half the game. If you like those games, then that's great, but they're Metroid in name only with how little they have to do with the series overall.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Well, besides more ninty news, FF XV being delayed...again, and a niche title back from the past, I'm surprised not one soul is mentioning KOF XIV, c'mon guys. >.>

Besides being a casual fighting game player and all, and the abundance of marketing KOF XIV is going for lately, and also being a fan of the series so far, Its going to be great, lol. Also picking up its LE for good measure, lol. X3

Well, I'll join in on your KOF conversation if that's okay with you!

I love fighting games generally, the KOF franchise being one of my favorites. I'm so glad that SNK is going back to making games and regardless of the game's visual quality, I'm perfectly content with it. So long as it's not poopy everwhere else, especially the netcode. I'm hoping that they'll get better at 3D model quality later on. I mean, as long as people will keep supporting SNK, they will have more money to spend on improving their future games. So, go, SNK!

Just a quick question, does anyone have a particular "favorite" amongst the newer cast of characters? For me, Sylvie and Alice. No question. Best waifus. Drop mic. Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
So this is the result of a Kojima-less Metal Gear eh? I fear for its future.

No one worried about the future of the franchise when Snake's Revenge or Rising: Revegeance came out.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Why did people hate Other M? Because its story and writing were bad and it neutered Samus' character.

How do you ruin something that was never fully established?

Lord Oink wrote:
Why do people love the Prime trilogy (1 and 2 more than 3, though) so much? One reason is its story, both in its presentation and quality: it's not spoon-fed to you. It's enough to be there and be good but not too much to get in your way. It's actually the perfect way to tell a story in a game

Yeah I'm sorry but having a game that tells most of it's story through it's manual, missable info packets, etc instead of exposition or cutscenes is lazy to say nothing of being incredibly outdated.

NeoStrayCat wrote:
Well, besides more ninty news, FF XV being delayed...again, and a niche title back from the past, I'm surprised not one soul is mentioning KOF XIV, c'mon guys. >.>

It's not exactly popular in the U.S. like it is in other places.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Complete subjective.

Prime is quite literally a filler arc in the long running shounen that is Metroid. It's not by the actual writers, nothing in it is ever mentioned in the other games after it's all over, it doesn't develop the main story in any way, and it causes inconsistancies if you think too hard about it, like Ridley being some mechanical mutated cyborg when in Super he's not. But I dont see how you can say all that scanning pages of useless info isnt spoon-feeding. It's like half the game. If you like those games, then that's great, but they're Metroid in name only with how little they have to do with the series overall.

Um, Metroid Prime's method of storytelling is the exact opposite of spoon-feeding. It requires the player to go out and explore the world, to piece together information, to draw their own conclusions. It makes you work, and the result is all the more sweeter. "Spoon-feeding" is forcing the player to sit through cutscene upon cutscene, completely yanking them out of the gameplay experience. (Remember games, those things you're supposed to play and not watch your way through?) It's for very good reason that Metroid Prime is widely considered to be one of the greatest video games ever made, and while its sequels didn't quite reach such lofty heights, they were still widely praised. Other M will never so much as sniff that sort of critical reception, and for good reason. If Prime is "filler," then screw canon, I'll take filler any day of the week.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
(Remember games, those things you're supposed to play and not watch your way through?)

Video games are not a spectator sport no, but they're not designed to be nonstop action fests either.

Top Gun wrote:
It requires the player to go out and explore the world, to piece together information, to draw their own conclusions. It makes you work, and the result is all the more sweeter.

Seems like blatant padding personally.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Video games are not a spectator sport no, but they're not designed to be nonstop action fests either.

The Prime games are about the furthest thing from "hardcore action fests" I can think of. Much like most other Metroid titles, their core tenets are focused on exploration and discovery.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

It's no more padding than choosing whether or not to get every single missile and health tank upgrade in the game. It's entirely up to the player how much they want to engage with the story: if they want to track down every single scan and read all the flavor text that's there, they can. If they're not interested in it at all, they can largely ignore the scans. It's a very well-designed mechanic.

(I'm starting to get the impression that most people that criticize the Prime trilogy have never so much as played a minute of it...)
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I've only played the first Metroid Prime, but it definitely had one of the worst padding issues I've seen in a game. You're suddenly hit with a quest to go backtrack through the entire game to find 12 hidden artifacts before you can go into the final area. It killed my interest in the game.

One of my biggest pet peeves in games are games that give you an essay to read everytime you find something. I remember Mass Effect did it with it's codex entries. It seems like an lazy way to world build, since other games have no problem integrating it into the actual story itself. It's even worse when it's something important to the plot and you miss something if you didn't read an entry. I'll take cutscenes over infodump any day of the week. Metroid Fusion and Other M are my favorite games of the series. In my opinion, Fusion perfected the balance of story, dialog, and gameplay, but I'm bias towards 2D games.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I've only played the first Metroid Prime, but it definitely had one of the worst padding issues I've seen in a game. You're suddenly hit with a quest to go backtrack through the entire game to find 12 hidden artifacts before you can go into the final area. It killed my interest in the game.

In no way is that quest suddenly dropped on the player. The room in which it exists can be accessed after getting the first upgrade in the game; if the player is exploring, like any good Metroid player should be, then they'll have both knowledge of the Artifacts' existence and clues of where to find several more before the first major boss (with more clues given as you drop off the ones you find). In addition, you're able to get them as you play through the game, whether you know where they are are not.

Prime and Other M exist at opposite spectrums. About the only way that Other M resembles any other prior Metroid game is in its perspective and the name of its main character; Prime, meanwhile, is more different on a purely superficial level, but its entire design philosophy is much closer to that of the older entries than Other M's. It astonishes me that people can view Other M as "more of a Metroid game", and I've come to the conclusion that it's simply because of how Samus moves in each - movement in Prime is significantly different and more methodical than the usual jumpy-flippy-shooty locomotion of its predecessors, which is about the only thing that Other M retains of them. But even if its superficial, it's very visible, so I could see people taking to Other M a bit faster. You know, if they can get past all the things that make it blatantly not a Metroid game.

(For the record, I hate Other M. Even if one were somehow fine with its awful, deeply sexist rendition of Samus, or else believed she wasn't those things, the story is still a bland retread of the far superior Metroid Fusion, a middling story told very poorly through monotone monologue; even if you subscribe to the idea that Metroid games aren't about story and can ignore Other M's attempt at such in spite of long unskippable cutscenes, it completely eschews any of the wonder and exploration that defined every prior entry in the series beforehand for linearity to the point if being on rails. That it's a serviceable action title is INCREDIBLY faint praise, given its pedigree. I'm so glad it under-performed like it did, because it means Nintendo is less likely to turn to it as a model for future games in the franchise.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
I'm so glad it under-performed like it did, because it means Nintendo is less likely to turn to it as a model for future games in the franchise.)

It also it turn means they're less likely to make any newer games and whatever newer games they may eventually get around to making will likely play it safe and just be more or less of what the earlier games were.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's for very good reason that Metroid Prime is widely considered to be one of the greatest video games ever made, and while its sequels didn't quite reach such lofty heights, they were still widely praised. Other M will never so much as sniff that sort of critical reception, and for good reason. .

Okay? Critical praise isn't worth anything, and the only people I met who religiously follow review scores or metacritic scores are fanatics looking to prove something one way or another. What some no-name game journalist thinks isn't important unless one has no free will to make up their own mind and judge something for themselves. As far as outside factors go, I'll take anime/manga adaptions, figures, merchandise, cameos, fanart, and doujinshi over 'critical praise' which isn't tangible.

Krotchstak wrote:
For the record, I hate Other M. Even if one were somehow fine with its awful, deeply sexist rendition of Samus, or else believed she wasn't those things, the story is still a bland retread of the far superior Metroid Fusion

Except it's not? It's a prequel that explains who Adam is and his relationship with Samus and Samus in her GF days in a complete new setting with nothing to do with the X organisms and is instead a follow up of Super Metroid's story with MB and the Baby Metroid. Super Metroid is more of a retread considering the only new things from the first game is the ghost ship and water areas but we're back on Zebes again fighting the same 3 bosses.

You make a good point about the gameplay style though. Aside from the lack of plot, the game play was my other major problem with Prime series. I don't like first person shooters and I hated moving around so slow in first person. I would always travel around in morph ball when I could because it was the only third person perspective. Other M was pretty different from typical Metroid as well, but it felt more Metroid-y due to the fast-paced nature. Didn't care for first person missile shooting, but the rest of the game is third person so its fine. If they could perfect that style and maybe borrow from Zelda, MGS, or Bayonetta a new 3D Metroid would be cool.

To be fair, most Wii versions of the established franchises underperformed. That was back when Nintendo was catering to casuals over there core fan base. Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy under performed compared to Twilight Princess and NSMB. The only difference is Metroid never sold well in the first place. And despite that, Other M is still the version Nintendo pushes the most when it comes to the franchise representation.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
To be fair, most Wii versions of the established franchises underperformed. That was back when Nintendo was catering to casuals over there core fan base. Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy under performed compared to Twilight Princess and NSMB.

3 million and 12 million in sales is nothing to sneeze at though a lot of niche publishers would kill for those kind of sales.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I am here for KOF's big return, glad that is back, I'd always hoped that the gameplay stayed the same as the mainstay 2D instead of 3D of Maximum Impact series (that I am sure nobody here wants to remember?).

Dunno care too much about graphics tbh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2