• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal Blu-ray/DVD Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
So I was concerned at first about the switch back to 2D in season 3 because I didn't know if they were going to reflect the Crystal transformations or revert back to the classic series--fortunately it turned out to be the former. People can be happy about the 2D animation alone, but I'm personally relieved they continued skipping the voyeurism.

Eh? The transformations in Crystal S3 (with the exception of Moon's) are basically identical to the ones in the classic series. In fact, they're even more thorough at emphasising certain features of their bodies. Razz

Apparently I'll have to look at them again, but when I first watched them they seemed like simple 2D versions of the 3D tranformations of the first two seasons.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ami's transformation in Crystal season three

whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I've always thought that acknowledging female body parts existing isn't inherently fanservice-y, it's how the camera treats them that makes it so. That's why Ami gets a pass for me, but I've always felt the lingering butt-level shots in Jupiter and Mars' transformations were kind of skeevy in all iterations of the show, barring the live-action adaptations (haven't seen them).
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I always felt like the nudity in Sailor Moon was symbolic of purity rather than meant to be sexualized. At least growing up with the series, I always felt like the transformations were cute and pretty rather than sexual. In comparison to most modern day anime, Sailor Moon is about as tame as you can with fanservice. If you're getting turned on by the Inners' transformation scenes, I think the issue might be with you and not the show itself.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Good review, but to be honest, I still don't think Crystal season 1 is that great of a series, and I'd have graded some of the stuff differently. I may get some hate or bashing for this, and I may end up repeating points I had said before, but I want to speak my mind here:

I'd have given story maybe a D- or something, as they did attempt to stick closer to the manga and even added some good changes like all the Inners fighting at the end of episode 25, despite poor execution, for art and animation, I would not have given a B-, I'd definitely have given art and animation an F, it mostly was very low quality, they cut corners when they could and animated as little as they could, what was animated looked sketchy, sloppy, and choppy, and to me, the way certain scenes that were done, like when the Sailors get their pens and Usagi is spoiler[revealed to be the Princess], fell flat because of said art/animation. The only good things for the art I thought were there were some backgrounds like in the city, which were a step up from the original, and unfortunately, most of the Blu-Ray fixes looked worse to me, and they even created more errors than in the web version (like with Mars' speech, she kept on losing her back bow). But that's what I think, everyone interprets art differently, though I don't think whoever animated Luna ever saw a cat in real life.

Episode 14 also had this: http://ai-no-senshi.net/img-errors/smc_error_ep14_06_big.jpg

Pretty much, to quote the website where I found this, Usagi's anatomy was highly incorrect here.

I agree though, the CGI was lackluster, but I never understood why Venus' was considered the best; to me, the way the whole thing with her spinning was, it just looked generic to me.

I wasn't a fan of the characters in here also,, here I felt Usagi was only obsessed with Mamoru and was more annoying here than in the original, the four Inners were bland to the point where they could be written out of the story and nothing else would change, and I felt like Tuxedo Mask was a creep here.

Not trying to sound all angry/mean here, I'm just respectfully disagreeing, and I have read the manga. While Crystal does have some good elements, I feel there are way too many flaws that far outweigh the good, and it makes the manga look bad. Sad

@SailorNaruto

No, it's still not nostalgia as to why people didn't like it. The reason is, Sailor Moon is special to so many people, and they wanted to see a great reboot/new adaptation, and they felt it wasn't very good. I mean, when I first saw the art designs pop up before it even came out, I was disappointed, as I felt like they looked more like mediocre fan drawings and such.

@Fronzel
I also still felt the Inners were important in a way, as they're her Guardians and such, but then again, I may only be talking about the original anime, at least everyone got to do something in most of the finales there...

@rizuchan

That is odd, I will agree, though for Crystal, the adaptation for the manga to me was so bad it almost makes me wonder how I could have liked the manga in the first place. Sad

I like the manga, but I've always, ever since I've read the first flopped version of it here, thought the original anime was better since I first discovered Sailor Moon, because of preference.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Someone told me that this series for as much as it´s more based on the manga, it has some things that make it pretty weak compared to the 90s version. And I actually feel that this is true. For example, the romance between Haruka and Michiru is not as developed as in the 90s, where it felt like pushing the boundaries. Here is like they have fear of putting that in a children´s show or something.

However in other parts of the world(especially in Latin America, because they like their faithful adaptations and they complain at the slightest of changes), they think the original is horrible just because the filler.

Can someone make a comparison between the manga, the 90s version and Crystal to know which is more competent please? That also can help some of the people that know the franchise but need more information
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about those people who complain at the slightest of changes and think the filler is horrible, they're probably just annoying nitpicking manga purists. I mean, sure, there were problems with filler in SuperS, but most of them helped develop the characters, give the story more time to develop, and show us what the world there is like, to the point where it doesn't even feel like filler at all.

If I had to do a quick comparison to decide which one was more competent, I'd probably do it like this: the manga and 90's anime have beautiful artwork/animation (which is smooth most of the time), great characterization and good storytelling minus a certain arc, but the anime does a better job developing characters than the manga, all of the characters, Moon, the Inners and Outers, feel important it does deviate from the manga (but improves upon it), and the manga sometimes has better pacing than the original anime due to there not being fillers, and certain characterizations like with Sailors Pluto are done better, like Pluto's role in R/Black Moon. Usually Sailor Moon fans also have said Chibi-Usa is a brat in the 90's anime and she's better in the manga, but she's good in both versions.

Crystal though...the story is too faithful to the manga in ways (mostly first arc and second) to the point where it's pointless to watch it when you could read the manga instead, the art and animation are terrible, the animation is jerky most of the time, and the characterization is terrible in seasons 1-2; Usagi is only obsessed with Mamoru, the four Inners are useless 98% of the time unlike the original anime, bland to the point where they could be written out and nothing would change and their accomplishments are given to Moon instead...then they added stuff that wasn't in the manga, like the Four Kings falling in love with a terribly executed idea, as an attempt to give the girls characters, Yuji Kobayashi, who had no idea how to characterize them, said that if the Four Kings were wiped out instantly (which they were in the end) it would be impossible for any of the four to stand out...plus there's a disgusting incestuous kiss between Black Lady and Mamoru that thankfully was an illusion in the original anime. And with no fillers, they focus on the story so it moves too quickly and gives us no time to get interested in the characters, so in a way, it's both faithful to and not faithful to the manga at all.

Season III is slightly better than seasons one and two, is more faithful to the manga, better animation and art, slightly better characterization, but the Inners don't develop, Neptune is just there...and the pacing's a bit too fast.

I'd say to me, the 90's anime, Crystal Season III and manga are more competent than seasons 1-2 of Crystal, but I'd say overall, 90's anime > SMC Season III > Manga > SMC Seasons 1-2 (forgot to mention Season III in ways is better than its manga counterpart), or rather, Seasons 1-2 of Crystal are to Ralph Bakshi's film version of Lord of the Rings (which was despised by Tolkien fans and critics), whilst the 90's anime and SMC Season III are to Peter Jackson's trilogy.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Quote:
the only thing is that luna sounds way way too young in my view. dont get me wrong, Michelle Ruff sounds perfect as luna , though there are times where she sounds too young for Luna's age which isnt clearly known since there haven't been a hint on the actual age for both Luna and Artemis on both anime series,nor on the Tokyopop or Kodansha's version of their mangas.personally i think Wendel Lee would have made a better Luna. wouldnt sound too old, but not too young as well.
That's the way Luna is supposed to sound in the series. Luna is supposed to be a young girl around the same age as Usagi and the Inners in the Japanese version. I actually thought Michelle Ruff sounded a lot older as Luna than either Keiko Han or her Japanese Crystal VA. But the original dub greatly exaggerated Luna's age by making her sound like an old granny which made things awkward when they got to the S movie.

not quite. DIC was going by the tokyopop version of the manga back then where they had both cats older than the guardians. also the DIC VA for Luna didn't sound like an old lady at the slightest. it was at least one of the only thing that was decent for that dub version. which was why some of the dub fan wanted her only to return as Luna for the redubbing of the 90's version. and believe me,i am at heart a die hard moonie since it was the first anime TV series i ever saw (SciFi only showed anime movies back then) and i read the Kodansha's version(also the tokyopop version but that was a really long time ago and their seriously hard to find right now if ever). unless i missed something, that version didn't give any insight on the ages for both Luna and Artemis which was shown for the tokyopop version of the manga.

though you are definitely right that the japaneese VA sounded a lot more younger than Ruff's take as luna.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
[
not quite. DIC was going by the tokyopop version of the manga back then where they had both cats older than the guardians. also the DIC VA for Luna didn't sound like an old lady at the slightest. it was at least one of the only thing that was decent for that dub version. which was why some of the dub fan wanted her only to return as Luna for the redubbing of the 90's version.

The DiC version of the anime was released in the U.S. years before anyone ever thought of bringing over the manga, so I don't know how you're claiming they based their casting decisions on the manga or what your sources for that claim are. And you are aware Luna's original English VA, Jill Frappier, is an old lady in real life, right?

CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Quote:
the only thing is that luna sounds way way too young in my view. dont get me wrong, Michelle Ruff sounds perfect as luna , though there are times where she sounds too young for Luna's age which isnt clearly known since there haven't been a hint on the actual age for both Luna and Artemis on both anime series,nor on the Tokyopop or Kodansha's version of their mangas.personally i think Wendel Lee would have made a better Luna. wouldnt sound too old, but not too young as well.
That's the way Luna is supposed to sound in the series. Luna is supposed to be a young girl around the same age as Usagi and the Inners in the Japanese version. I actually thought Michelle Ruff sounded a lot older as Luna than either Keiko Han or her Japanese Crystal VA. But the original dub greatly exaggerated Luna's age by making her sound like an old granny which made things awkward when they got to the S movie.

I've heard this parroted many times over the years and have no idea where it comes from: Not only is the dynamic between the cats and the girls obviously that of someone older teaching their students while dealing with their teenage silliness and still loving them (Think Race Bannon and Jonny Quest) but, in the manga and the anime, each cat has at least one moment of saying something to the effect of "What's with kids these days?".

Keiko Han's performance was cartoon cat (which I loved); Jill Frappier's voice was perfect for Luna the cat but not Luna the human; While I think Michelle Ruff's take on the character is off, missing the delightful sarcastic edge, I feel her voice is perfect, age-wise, for Luna.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

Keiko Han's performance was cartoon cat (which I loved); Jill Frappier's voice was perfect for Luna the cat but not Luna the human; While I think Michelle Ruff's take on the character is off, missing the delightful sarcastic edge, I feel her voice is perfect, age-wise, for Luna.

that i can agree with. Pioneer should have had a different VA for the human version of Luna during the S movie.

CCTakato wrote:
The DiC version of the anime was released in the U.S. years before anyone ever thought of bringing over the manga, so I don't know how you're claiming they based their casting decisions on the manga or what your sources for that claim are. And you are aware Luna's original English VA, Jill Frappier, is an old lady in real life, right?

the source is was when ADV licensed the DIC versions and when tokyopop released the short story version of the manga which became the basis of the S movie. though that was so long ago people probably dont remember. and finding any proof is all but impossible since ADV is six feet under and the tokyopop version is impossible to find.

Also i'm a diehard moonie. Of course I knew miss Jill was an old woman when she voiced luna in the 90's.

Last edited by jr240483 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
@CCTakato

Naoko actually said in a recent interview that most of her anger towards the original anime was due to stress at her job of having to meet deadlines, and now she's perfectly fine with the original anime, and she enjoys seeing different interpretations of her work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2