• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Professor Oak Also Gets "Regional Form" in Pokemon Sun & Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
For some reason first thing I thought of was Rocky Horror.

I've been makin' a prof! With blonde hair and a tan! And he's good for fillin my.... pokedex.

I'm just a sweet gym leader!

From poketastic Alolan Regioooooooooooon
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, once you go black you never go back.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
That was a really neat trailer. Goes to show how Pokémon'scome such a long way. Also shows how many new mechanics and features have been added since. Since this trailer exists though, does that mean we're done with new mechanics and features?

Dextres wrote:
That what it says. It wll be an interestinggggg conversation between Ash & Professor Oak back in pallet town(anime) going...WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME YOU HAD A COUSIN!

Professor Oak Reply: "You never ask".

What would be even funnier is if Professor Oak replied, "I don't have a cousin. I don't have any relatives in Alola! If you see a man who looks like me except with a tan and longer hair, ignore him, because he is not my cousin!!"

octopodpie wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
According to the official site the character's English name is Samson Oak, which you might want to add to the article. It's a nice play on names since Oak's first name is Samuel.

Thanks for the head's up! I'll add it.

I wonder if he gets a lot weaker if someone shaves his head. Look at that mane!

KH91 wrote:
I guess Satoshi's mind will be blown when he meets the other Prof. Okido.

So if Prof. Okido has a cousin(I assume Nariya was born in Alola and that they talk every now and then) in a place that has Mega Evolution, why didn't he bring up Mega Evolution in the beginning of the series?

spoiler[I am joking around]

Pokémon OmegaRuby and Alpha Sapphire confirm that there are different but similar Pokémon universes. The Delta Chapter has some characters make reference to a theoretical alternate universe where Mega Evolution never existed, for instance.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if professor Oak had multiple cousins living in different regions kinda like nurse Joy or officer Jenny. Laughing
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
Every time I see this version of Oak all I think about is that he is Hawain Oak.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Huh. Who would've thought Professor Oak was multiracial. Nice move, Game Freak!
Assuming the new Oak is of mixed lineage, it's most likely going to be on his mother's side. That might be what you meant, but it seems like a lot of people are talking about this in some way implying anything about Oak classic.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Whether or not they had this one look this color out of being PC is my question, given Nintendo has become somewhat infamous for their censoring.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Whether or not they had this one look this color out of being PC is my question, given Nintendo has become somewhat infamous for their censoring.

Censorship only matters in the American version, not the original, and Japan doesn't care about being PC. Pokemon loves its stereotypes when it comes to foreign characters like Matis, Melissa, Cabernet, etc and making them stereotypes of their country. Seems like just this will just be a guy with a tan to me. He still has a Japanese name, afterall.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Huh. Who would've thought Professor Oak was multiracial. Nice move, Game Freak!

It could be that Oak parent's sibling just married someone from Alola, instead of Oak being part Alolan. For example, Obama have white and black relatives, this doesn't mean that all his relatives from Kenya are part white or his white grandparents are part black.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Censorship only matters in the American version, not the original, and Japan doesn't care about being PC. Pokemon loves its stereotypes when it comes to foreign characters like Matis, Melissa, Cabernet, etc and making them stereotypes of their country. Seems like just this will just be a guy with a tan to me. He still has a Japanese name, afterall.

I had to look that up.

Matis = Lt. Surge
Melissa = Fantina
Cabernet = Burgundy (Cilan's rival in Best Wishes)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2