• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ufotable's 2017 Touken Ranbu Anime Previewed in 1st Promo Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ashymo wrote:
So, basically, this will center around Sakamoto Ryouma(Mutsunokami) vs the Bakufu(Shisengumi), trying to assassinate him? Why am I not surprised lol. A sure way to make an anime a hit among the females(particularly with the rekijo) is just to include the Shisengumi. Well played, Ufotable, well played.

Nothing to do with Ufotable - that was already in the original game. Tell that to DMM Games/Nitro+.

Although, admittedly, in the game they didn't square off against each other.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Really wish that ufotable would've tackled Berserk, but instead they keep going the safe route, and using their animation skills to carry the, lately, mediocre plots.

Not really ufotable's fault, it's the Berserk curse. :/ Though I do see your point. But at least they get to show off their pretty animation, which is apparently all that matters to them (and it's very enjoyable).
Ashymo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Ashymo wrote:
So, basically, this will center around Sakamoto Ryouma(Mutsunokami) vs the Bakufu(Shisengumi), trying to assassinate him? Why am I not surprised lol. A sure way to make an anime a hit among the females(particularly with the rekijo) is just to include the Shisengumi. Well played, Ufotable, well played.

Nothing to do with Ufotable - that was already in the original game. Tell that to DMM Games/Nitro+.

Yes, it has pretty well to do with Ufotable because Touken Ranbu doesn't just revolve around Sakamoto Ryouma and his conflict with the Shisengumi, there are bunch of other swords that aren't from the Meiji period, for example, the Dategumi are from the Sengoku period.
While Mutsunokami is one of the starter swords, he's far from a main character, the closest thing this has to a main character is Jiji. That's why many are surprised to see Mutsunokami in the teaser. It doesn't surprise me though, the Shisengumi squad is really, really popular with the females, and it's a great way to cash in some money.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ashymo wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
Ashymo wrote:

Yes, it has pretty well to do with Ufotable because Touken Ranbu doesn't just revolve around Sakamoto Ryouma and his conflict with the Shisengumi, there are bunch of other swords that aren't from the Meiji period, for example, the Dategumi are from the Sengoku period.
While Mutsunokami is one of the starter swords, he's far from a main character, the closest thing this has to a main character is Jiji. That's why many are surprised to see Mutsunokami in the teaser. It doesn't surprise me though, the Shisengumi squad is really, really popular with the females, and it's a great way to cash in some money.

Well, you definitely have a point. I really hope that the other swords will also be featured though because damn, I really like the Dategumi. And I doubt the story will focus only on the Shinsengumi story because that's a really limited plotline.
Ashymo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Ashymo wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
Ashymo wrote:

Well, you definitely have a point. I really hope that the other swords will also be featured though because damn, I really like the Dategumi. And I doubt the story will focus only on the Shinsengumi story because that's a really limited plotline.

I guess, we will have to wait and see what how they will go about this. I'm pretty sure they will include other swords as well, not including the Dategumi, Jiji, Kogi and other popular swords would be akin to a big fudge-you to the fans. Honestly, I wish an another Studio had picked this up instead, I'm doubtful the Ufo will pull this off, particularly in the story department. I still haven't gotten over how bad Weib Kreuz was, which was their first work they worked together with Magic Bus.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
Ashymo wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
Ashymo wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
Ashymo wrote:

I guess, we will have to wait and see what how they will go about this. I'm pretty sure they will include other swords as well, not including the Dategumi, Jiji, Kogi and other popular swords would be akin to a big fudge-you to the fans. Honestly, I wish an another Studio had picked this up instead, I'm doubtful the Ufo will pull this off, particularly in the story department. I still haven't gotten over how bad Weib Kreuz was, which was their first work they worked together with Magic Bus.

That's true, not including the popular ones would be shooting themselves in the foot. I think they'll have to include all/most of them between the two anime adaptations. They have to be sure to make the most profits off of the merchandise after all. And I get what you mean - Ufo makes beautiful visuals but they were never one for plot (we know the other game-based anime they made and this one is even more difficult because this game doesn't really have a story in the first place). We have to have hope, I guess.

Also Weib Kreuz? You mean Weiß, right? Because ß is not a B, it's an ss. You read it "weiss". Sorry, I studied German and I couldn't leave it alone. ^^;
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
Ufotable never disappoints! Looking good!

And.... God Eater was a masterpiece, right? Those "perfect studios" as they say are not perfect
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
Ufotable never disappoints! Looking good!

And.... God Eater was a masterpiece, right? Those "perfect studios" as they say are not perfect

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Really wish that ufotable would've tackled Berserk, but instead they keep going the safe route, and using their animation skills to carry the, lately, mediocre plots.

Be careful.Too much dreaming causes people to think they can control anime studios. It is said that Berserk runs in a magazine that doesn't win much money for its mangas, so it's a little bit understandable why to go to a cheaper studio, even when they could experiment 3D with an original series instead. With videogames is obvious that they win too much money to go for studios like Ufotable.
Kohagura

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Ashymo wrote:

It could possibly, but we don't know... I mean I think I read somewhere that in the game, Nagasone Kotetsu(Kondou Isami's sword) does have some kind of hostility towards Mutsunokami(Sakamoto Ryouma's sword) due to him being considered a traitor... but they don't say anything about how Izuminokami Kanesada(Hijikata Toshizou's sword) feels.

But then, you have to remember the game is more about fighting the historical revisionists rather than each other, so it would be more likely that they're allies here.

I'm definitely more hyped for this anime than the October one, because I'm totally into the Shinsengumi and Dategumi swords.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2