• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Brave Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sylontack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And yes, it does look like at least one Brave Witch is wearing her tights while using her flyer units, which raises the question of why all of the Witches aren't doing it.

I mean that's not a new question, given two of the girls in 501st wore them all through Strike Witches.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
The parallel between this one and Strike Witches is growing sigh...... Yoshika could not fight etc... Hikari can not fly... the striker is too strong for her. Yoshika had strong magic but could not control it. in some ways they are opposites of each other.

Hikari like Yoshika have that i will do it no matter what mentality that reminds me of Major Sakamoto i am beginning to think it is a trait of the Fuso witches. I really hope they continue to develop the story and dont just fall flat on it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this is that close to the first strike witches series, it's feelng fresher the more it progresses, the whole thing with the small magic power remidns me of another series in which the characters is a completely mediocremagic user, but with practice she is abel to use the most mediocre spell ina very efficient amnner, being able to shoot it thusands of times faster than any other magician and also make it use thousands of times less magic power.
Pizza35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
What I don't get is why the "reboot" when there was nothing wrong with the original cast. Two seasons, and nothing about the Neuroi is explained, so now we get another gaggle of girls to do the same thing the originals did.

Basically, this show is nothing more than an attempt to sell more body pillows and figures. Who cares about a story when merchandise is more important.

I'll pass. I enjoyed Strike Witches, but I'm ready for the story to continue, not a reboot.

The "Witches Series" if I can call it like that has always been about having a varied and large cast in that particular alternative WWII setting. The designs and characters are what's most important, not the plot. And yeah, merchandise is important too, there are people who just enjoy merchandise for itself. Had Alter made a figure of Naoe Kanno I probably would have bought it, even if the Brave Witches anime never became a thing.

If you were there for the plot, then yes, I can understand why you're disappointed. But it's really nothing surprising.

The "Strike Witches" (=501st Joint Fighter Wing) have been the main focus until now but there is no reason the focus can't shift. There are already a bunch of manga focusing on other squadrons, like One-Winged Witches, Witches of Africa, or Witches of Andorra.

I think this anime or the previous one should be viewed as just another work, part of the larger Witches universe, no more or less important than the figures or Shimada Humikane's artworks.

Last edited by Pizza35 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see everything worked out for her in the end.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not exactly looking for something thought provoking here but I would like it if the story were somewhat different from the last two. I get that it's a common used story arc and shouldn't expect much, but it's giving us absolutely nothing else. In the first season the story was pretty much the same but the characters were all present. They may not have had a lot of lines but there was enough to be curious about them. What's Perrienes problem? Why is Barkhorn so overtly tough on Yoshika? ect. At this point in strike witches we had some answers. But in brave witches my only question is, where the crap is the rest of the squadron? After the introductions I don't think I've even seen them in the background. They really need to get the other girls out there because if all we get is more of the plot then I don't see this getting any better.
Pizza35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
I'm not exactly looking for something thought provoking here but I would like it if the story were somewhat different from the last two. I get that it's a common used story arc and shouldn't expect much, but it's giving us absolutely nothing else. In the first season the story was pretty much the same but the characters were all present. They may not have had a lot of lines but there was enough to be curious about them. What's Perrienes problem? Why is Barkhorn so overtly tough on Yoshika? ect. At this point in strike witches we had some answers. But in brave witches my only question is, where the crap is the rest of the squadron? After the introductions I don't think I've even seen them in the background. They really need to get the other girls out there because if all we get is more of the plot then I don't see this getting any better.

I agree, they've already spent too much time on that damn shinjin character. Unless it's 2 cours (which is unlikely), they better start showing us more of the squadron.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Just a little nitpick, but I don't think it's the "physical contact" thing why the main character shouldn't use her core-detecting skills, but rather the immense drain it has on the user's magical abilities. (I.E. the reason why her sister is in a coma right now.) I mean... the girls often use their shields and speed while ramming through the neuroi directly, so proximity probably isn't their main concern.

I mean... the second season of Strike Witches had a plot element about certain kinds of abilities being able to basically burn out a witch's powers completely. Well... spoiler[at least until the movie negated that anyway].
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
yeah, the lake thing was really weird, dunno about generating gold, tho.

Last edited by maximilianjenus on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pizza35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
In response to Theron Martin:
Freezing the lake to allow neuroi troops to advance makes sense because neuroi also have ground soldiers. We can see one in one of the Victory Arrow movies (I think it's the one that focused on Perrine). We rarely see witches fighting this type of ennemies, but we can assume that they are fought by the regular armies, as they are much easier to kill than the flying ones.

This ep5 is pretty disapointing, the whole thing with the neuroi was awkwardly written. In particular, why the hell did they left the igloo for a tank? That's really stupid as an igloo keeps warmth much better.

I WANT to like Naoe Kanno, I really want to like her, but I wish they'd stop portraying her as such a cliché tsundere character and start adding some other sides to her personnality and some depth to her character.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sloppy episode five review, calling the main heroine Haruki and a typo turning cold into gold.

I enjoyed the episode a lot. It gave all three girls (who are probably the three least experienced Witches in the 502nd) the opportunity to do more than what's expected of them.

And Krupinski, get out of the kitchen Razz
Pizza35

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Pretty sloppy episode five review, calling the main heroine Haruki and a typo turning cold into gold.

Oh so he was talking about Hikari, I was really confused at who that Haruki was supposed to be.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Pizza35 wrote:
7jaws7 wrote:

Oh so he was talking about Hikari, I was really confused at who that Haruki was supposed to be.

Fix'd.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:

And Krupinski, get out of the kitchen Razz

As the token pervert of the squad, she wants more screentime.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Pizza35 wrote:
Freezing the lake to allow neuroi troops to advance makes sense because neuroi also have ground soldiers. We can see one in one of the Victory Arrow movies (I think it's the one that focused on Perrine). We rarely see witches fighting this type of ennemies, but we can assume that they are fought by the regular armies, as they are much easier to kill than the flying ones.

Ground Neuroi are in both the movie and OVA episode 3. They're more vulnerable to conventional forces but it's still preferred to use land witches with treaded ground strikers and air to ground attack witches that carry anti-tank guns. Those are all heavily featured in the Africa manga. (something about the wide open areas making ground combat more effective than Europe, I think)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5