• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Nintendo Switch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Some further details were revealed today, that the portable part of the console runs on 720p and the games run on 900p natively, I am assuming that means hooked up to the tv. While nice for the portable side, that doesn't even put the console on par with the base ps4 and xbox one.

I think those are still unfounded rumor, but it's not really a surprise if it's true, the switch is not a portable/console hybrid as some people seems to believe, it's a portable, period. Asking a portable to be stronger than the PS4/xbox one is a pretty tall order, especially for a reasonable price that will sell.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Asking a portable to be stronger than the PS4/xbox one is a pretty tall order, especially for a reasonable price that will sell.

It's not just that though you got to have a decent lineup of games out of the gate, that's what hurt the 3DS and Vita when they both launched.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo has already clarified that the Switch is NOT a successor to the 3DS which means it's likely there will be a new handheld from them sometime down the road.
pikabot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Spike Terra wrote:
Yes games can be made without voice acting but now a days, most Triple A titles (that aren't Nintendo games) have voice acting in it.

They also usually have several hundreds of other people working on them, and every last one of these people, from creative director to QA tester, deserve residuals more than voice actors ever will.

They do deserve residuals. Unfortunately, they don't have a union to fight for those residuals on their behalf. If they want residuals (among other possible problems it could solve) they should form a union and fight for them. But they won't for whatever reason, and SAG-AFTRA doesn't represent them and thus can't fight on their behalf. Meaning that at the end of the day, their situation is pretty immaterial to whether or not voice actors deserve residual payments (which they do).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Nintendo has already clarified that the Switch is NOT a successor to the 3DS which means it's likely there will be a new handheld from them sometime down the road.

I hope that Nintendo's new handheld will be region-free in addition to the NS.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

They said that about the GBA to DS transition and the DS to 3DS one (and possibly the GC to wii one too).

Anyway, it's bullshit they say so people don't stop buying the 3DS until release.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
They said that about the GBA to DS transition

Which wouldn't have made much sense at the time by virtue of the fact that DS was supposed to be a successor to the GBA the fact that it designed as a handheld much like the GBA and even had a slot for GBA Cartridges should've smartened people up.

meiam wrote:
and the DS to 3DS one

Now this makes even less sense.

meiam wrote:
Anyway, it's bullshit they say so people don't stop buying the 3DS until release.

Despite the fact that it's already been confirmed the Switch has no way to play 3DS Cartridges?

Nintendo's not going to retroactively decide to stop making the 3DS or 3DS games just to shift development of handheld games to a system that isn't even a handheld.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well a) it is an handheld and b) yeah it's a dumb but that what they always claim. They won't stop the 3DS obviously but that wasn't even what the comment was referring too.

Anyway long story short, going forward the switch will be the only nintendo device, you either like it or you don't play nintendo game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Anyway long story short, going forward the switch will be the only nintendo device, you either like it or you don't play nintendo game.

I understood the context of the post, the thing is though there's no way to know that for certain because A) there's nothing proving they're going to do that, and B) It's an idea with next to no gain but considerably high risk (The Switch itself is a risky idea as is).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I think those are still unfounded rumor, but it's not really a surprise if it's true, the switch is not a portable/console hybrid as some people seems to believe, it's a portable, period. Asking a portable to be stronger than the PS4/xbox one is a pretty tall order, especially for a reasonable price that will sell.

Yeah, if you want to look at something comparable, look at your average tablet. A 1080p+ tablet with a measly 16gigs of storage will run you about $250 US. This is the iPad mini 2 BTW, which lacks the inputs as well as a lot of other issues that the Switch would naturally have. You're applying resolution, controls, output, and storage, and need to keep it around the same price as a three year old tablet that was designed as the discount version of said tablet family.

In contrast, an iPad Pro will run you about $600 for the 32 gig model and up to $1000 for the 12.7 inch pro model.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

I don't have to tell you making a game system that much would end up with a miserable failure. We called that the 3DO.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I don't have to tell you making a game system that much would end up with a miserable failure. We called that the 3DO.

Was that 3DO or the NEO-GEO Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2