• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Discotek Threat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Zac wrote:
First, this is a very 2016 reply. Just an observation.

TheDrmcvey. wrote:

Thanks for hearing me out, and I hope we can put this election stuff finally behind us. We all definitely need that.

-TheDrmcvey

I hear you - as I said in the show, I felt I needed to say something, and I spoke to my real feelings.

We're in agreement on putting it all behind us, for sure.

Your comments on Twitter, concerning this poster, indicate what you really thought. And is a disservice to ANN viewers who view things differently.

So, you wanted him to be PC?

He should've just dressed like a Nazi instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Here's a good question. Why are you begging us to vote and why do you need us to vote? This doesn't sound like a PC get the vote out message, rather you begging and speaking like a doomsday message for people to vote on how you need us. Scared of the "doomsday" candidate the corporate media doesn't want you to vote for I'm guessing. #FeelTheBern

People generally overreact when it comes to politics. Some genuinely believe the world will end if the quote unquote wrong candidate wins. What I'm curious about is how they know people are going to vote for who they want.

-Stuart Smith
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Have to shout out my love for Discotek/ Eastern Star. At one time, Lovely Complex, Zombie-Loan and School Days were all on my, "my God, I hope these get licensed in NA some day list" and good ole Discotek came through, not to mention releasing a whole bunch of other cools shows, movies and OVAs. They fill an absolutely essential niche in the NA distribution industry. Live long and prosper, Discotek!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
@Stuart Smith They don't know they will vote for the candidate they want, but I dare say this thread would be a lot more raucous if they had tried to encourage people to vote for the candidate they want, and understandably so.

The world will probably not end if either candidate wins (hopefully, though I can't say I am not concerned about what one of them would do with his hand on the button). But that doesn't mean doesn't mean that some are wrong to worry how the other candidate and party will affect their lives, if indeed they mean what they say, and I have seen no evidence that they don't. It's not just the media that doesn't want one of the candidates. And even if they don't directly impact one's life in a big way, it is no overreaction to think that the other candidate will move the country in a material way in the direction you don't like. Some could afford not to hyperventilate so much about the other side but there are real differences between the parties no amount of civility will paper over.

And @ZorinBlitz I encourage you to examine Trump's (business) record to see for yourself whether he will fight for the little guy and to look at the Republican platform to see if he and the rest of the party will push for the same issues as Bernie and against the system you decry. And if you just want to see the system go down in flames, you had better hope you don't get burned.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I voted already, early, and for a third party candidate. As long as we're willing to vote for either Clinton or Trump, those are the only kinds of choices we'll ever be offered. The diminishing returns of "the lesser of two evils" disturbs me.

gravediggernalk wrote:
>TMS took the initiative to have a proper English dub made for Lupin III: Part IV

YEEEEEEES! Now maybe they can take the initiative to dub the rest of the Lupin III franchise with the same cast Anime catgrin

That would be optimal, sure, but I can't imagine the franchise makes enough money over here to justify that. This Part IV dub is a gift.

Discotek's meteoric rise in the anime licensing industry is fascinating. I remember when they first licensed that live-action Lupin movie from the 70s. I still have that on DVD. They were such a nothing outfit then. Now they're a far bigger player and I'm quite pleased.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Swami.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
BVerfG wrote:
TheDrmcvey. wrote:
Okay, I usually am upbeat when I post on an ANN forum, but today is the exact opposite.

Zac, I admire and respect all the hard work you do for ANN and how much of a positive impact you have had on the anime community. I can go even further and say that both you and Jacob have ignited my anime fandom and have helped me meet some of the most amazing people in the world!

With that being said, the opening statement plea you made at the beginning of this podcast irked me the wrong way.

Zac, I believe you and everyone else has a right to their own opinion, and I think that's great. You make a disclaimer on both your Twitter feed and your podcast that "the views that are expressed on both are not the views of Anime News Network."

However my problem is when you beg us, the viewers, to go and do something for your interests. The way you express it makes it sound like doomsday is upon us and that we are your only hope. I disagree.

I know that you did not say "please vote for Hillary Clinton" but it is heavily implied from your Twitter feed to the point that it frustrates me. It almost sounds as if you're guilting me into a decision that I do not appreciate.

I'm not here to start a political argument, but I do feel the need to express something to you that I can't get off my mind.

Thanks for hearing me out, and I hope we can put this election stuff finally behind us. We all definitely need that.

-TheDrmcvey

While I respect your opinion, I couldn't agree less. He called for people to vote, which I'd consider your civic duty in a democracy. If thats controversial now, democracy is truly doomed. But I'm not an American, so I suppose it's your democracy

I wasn't disagreeing with Zac on whether we should vote or not. I was disagreeing with him on the fact that he "needed" us to vote. Honestly, we all can choose whatever the heck we want to do because it's our choice. If he left the he "needed" us to vote part out, I would have 0 issues with the message.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Discotek's meteoric rise in the anime licensing industry is fascinating...They were such a nothing outfit then. Now they're a far bigger player and I'm quite pleased.

I am certainly glad that a publisher like Discotek exists, but I think you are embellishing their growth. They are nicely filling a void for niche anime, but I don't think they are that big of player. I suspected that they worked with a limited budget, and Brady confirmed that in this podcast.

Don't give me wrong; I want Discotek to prosper and keep growing.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Discotek's meteoric rise in the anime licensing industry is fascinating...They were such a nothing outfit then. Now they're a far bigger player and I'm quite pleased.

I am certainly glad that a publisher like Discotek exists, but I think you are embellishing their growth. They are nicely filling a void for niche anime, but I don't think they are that big of player. I suspected that they worked with a limited budget, and Brady confirmed that in this podcast.

Don't give me wrong; I want Discotek to prosper and keep growing.

Yeah, and let's not forget that they are getting a lot of shows that the bigger guys like Funi, Sentai, and Viz have little or no interest in. It's nice to see them being far more active than in the past, but that's largely due to them seeing a gap in the market that they could service, and hopefully still make enough profit to keep the lights on.

Compared to a few years ago, it's very nice to see the variety of shows that are getting brought over (both old and new.). I remember that dark days following Geneon and ADV's collapse far too well, and how few series were being licensed and most fit into very particular molds. I still worry a bit about the home video market getting over crowded with new releases, but hopefully streaming sites like Hulu and CR will mititgate that some.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
gravediggernalk wrote:
>TMS took the initiative to have a proper English dub made for Lupin III: Part IV

YEEEEEEES! Now maybe they can take the initiative to dub the rest of the Lupin III franchise with the same cast Anime catgrin

That would be optimal, sure, but I can't imagine the franchise makes enough money over here to justify that. This Part IV dub is a gift.
I agree with you on that, but a man can dream. One day™
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Here's a good question. Why are you begging us to vote and why do you need us to vote?

Because a democracy needs people to vote. If only 10% of the population turned out to vote, the winner can say either "I don't really have a mandate here, so I won't do anything," or "Since no one cares enough to weigh in, I'll do whatever I feel like." Not voting doesn't send a message "I don't like the choices," even if that's what you intend; it says "I don't give a shit, so you don't have to pay attention to what I want to stay in office." So yeah, we all need everyone to vote. And following up with actual messages to your representatives saying what you do want. We only have power if we use it, and that starts with voting. If you can't be bothered, who cares what you think?

Some countries require you to vote by law. Maybe the US should too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Here's a good question. Why are you begging us to vote and why do you need us to vote? This doesn't sound like a PC get the vote out message, rather you begging and speaking like a doomsday message for people to vote on how you need us. Scared of the "doomsday" candidate the corporate media doesn't want you to vote for I'm guessing. #FeelTheBern

EVERYBODY needs to vote. If you can't vote for the candidate of your choice, vote against the candidate not of your choice. At least it's doing something besides sitting in a corner and biting your self-righteous thumb. You've probably also got ballot-questions in your state too, ya might want to look at those, if nothing else.
(Or as I put it elsewhere, "Not voting because you don't like the candidates is like protesting the Atlantic Ocean by refusing to drink a glass of water...And voting for a Third-Party with no idea of their platform, just to protest the Two-Party candidates is like the girl who goes on a date with the class nerd just to get back at her boyfriend: It's not going to help the relationship, it's going to give a lot of false hope to the other guy that she'll regret later, and it's just not worth going on the date in the first place just to prove some point.")
And no, no one's going to point a finger at you and say "There goes that country-destroying traitor!" if you vote for Hil just to keep Trump out--Look, it's just four years, and somebody else (run, Joe, run) will already be campaigning at least by 2018, man up, you'll live. Think I was happy voting for John Paint-Drying Kerry, just to keep GW Bush from getting a second term?--But I did it, and so did half the country, and for that very reason.
If you don't remember Kerry running, well, there ya go. Wasn't the end of the world.

Putting partisan soapboxing aside, as for the podcast, TL;DL:
What "threat" does Discotek pose, and to whom? (The corporate Funi/Viz system?)
Now that Discotek's acquisitions seem to have a streaming home on CR, it's not much of a "threat" to the industry, and certainly not to disk sales--Like movie Blu-rays are finding a bigger audience now on independent labels, classic anime is find more good disk release on Nozomi and Discotek, while the corporate giants keep trying to sell their big-current acquisitions.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
"Any chance on getting any old sports anime, such as Aim for the Ace?" Knows the answer that is coming but still hopes... "Nope." Little flag of hope lowers sadly.

Who thinks Discotek has a ton of money?! It is famous for being low-budget and anyone who's owned a Discotek set (outside of the Cagliostro-esque releases) has seen that in everything from the number of episodes per disc to the subtitle errors. I love the hell out of them because they're the company who releases the stuff that no one else will but it's pretty obvious they're the anime equivalent of Mill Creek Entertainment.

Yay on Magic Knight Rayearth!
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
Discotek is my favourite company in the whole industry. A big reason is Lupin since I love that franchise, but in general I'm just incredibly happy to see so many older series get a release. I've bought a bunch of series I would have never checked out if Discotek hadn't brought them to my attention, like Orguss and Giant Gorg. I hope I can buy Sengoku Majin GoShogun on DVD one day.
Ashuraou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
"Any chance on getting any old sports anime, such as Aim for the Ace?" Knows the answer that is coming but still hopes... "Nope." Little flag of hope lowers sadly.

Who thinks Discotek has a ton of money?! It is famous for being low-budget and anyone who's owned a Discotek set (outside of the Cagliostro-esque releases) has seen that in everything from the number of episodes per disc to the subtitle errors. I love the hell out of them because they're the company who releases the stuff that no one else will but it's pretty obvious they're the anime equivalent of Mill Creek Entertainment.

Yay on Magic Knight Rayearth!

Calling us Mill Creek is a little harsh. The issues with Monster Farm notwithstanding, I feel like for the most part our subtitles are good to excellent. On my projects I've never gotten much in the way of complaints, but then I go over my subs way too much.

While I know some of our DVDs push it, on the Bluray end, Justin Is very picky with the amount of stuff he pushes per disc. I've not seen him turn around an ugly disc, and I've also seen him refuse to upscale shows with terrible masters.

Aside from this, a couple addendums- there's at least two sports related things on the schedule that are unannounced. You wouldn't guess them in 1000 years.

One of the bigger non-Lupin sellers is Robot Carnival.

Finally, for Arcadia of My Youth, while we could not include the movie in HD 4:3, we found a very nice 4:3 master in SD that we did include. This is not the same master as the old DVD release which was probably an analogue laserdisc master, but a clean transfer in progressive.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
Gee...
Getting back to Discotek and NOT politics -- I, for one, have had my fill of it and have AVOIDED it online !!!! --

I'm with the poster who said, "It's none of your damn business how I vote, or IF I vote."

I'm getting a little sick of the slogans and the very obvious scare-mongering going on in the media myself! This is why I TURNED OFF my cable TV box and have not looked back for well over 5 years now.

NOW, back to Discotek which SHOULD be the point of the thread!!!
Great that the company exists...
I love it that you haven't abandoned Lupin III... Can kind of see why the release of Legend of Gold of Babylon was cancelled... Let's face it -- not Lupin III's finest movie, and it's ugly as sin like the Lupin III Part III (late 1980's) TV series was. What were they thinking about the character designs and Italian style of animation in that film?!???!

I enjoyed Space Cobra: The Movie so much that it's encouraged to look out for the other portions of it that are unfortunately not licensed by Discotek but STILL the movie was better than it deserved to be!!! Smile Way better than Barbarella... Smile
The BD was pretty darn good for a movie of that vintage... Way better looking than many anime features of that time.

You can bet if I had the cash, I'd get a LOT more of the Discotek releases. Decently-priced for the most part, and the single-film releases have been worth it. ESPECIALLY the older, classic stuff.

I've actually met the Discotek guys a few times at cons and always found something interesting there... TOO MUCH really and I had to satisfy myself with far too little.

Now, I'm wondering if Lupin the Third: Fuma Conspiracy will be re-licensed and possibly released on Blu ray in the future (if possible), or is it in licensing hell right now?
I'm surprised that this one is out-of-print. Glad I got it (and the preceding AnimEigo release) while it was hot off the presses.
Any chance it might be license-rescued or is that pretty much a pie-in-the-sky proposition?

I won't ask if Project A-Ko will ever see a BD release since it's been confirmed by Justin and others that the film owners LOST the original 35mm print/master materials and the best anyone has to work with is the analogue laserdisc master. Pity and a shame... I would have bought a well-mastered BD of that film but have it have on DVD already... BUT I might still push the trigger and get the Discotek DVD anyway!

That said, Discotek is one of the few companies I have little-to-nothing-negative to say about.
I sure can't say that about any of the major Hollywood home video labels!
Okay, the major labels are getting a LITTLE bit better in some ways, worse in others. $5 Blu rays are nothing to sneeze at but the extras on most BD's STINK nowadays and the new 4k format is limping around worse than a wet noodle... and frankly very few of us see any need to upgrade to it any time soon!
As far as anime labels go...! Oh boy, are there problems with at least half the companies in the market from VERY high pricing on some boxset releases to some really dumb authoring issues that shouldn't be taking place with any company's releases!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4