• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Everyone In Anime Use Clotheslines?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I can confirm that in Canada, everybody uses driers. Even in apartments, where everybody has a mini-laundrymat in the basement

Here on the prairies, despite the dry air and warm summers, a sudden storm can come in and wet all those clothes all over again. And hanging them inside is just not a Canadian thing to do.

And for the cold winters, yeah you can forget about hanging it outside. Laughing
Omu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It always struck me as something American to dry all clothes in a dryer. Like other users here have already written: It's not a Japanese thing to use clothelines. I would say it's the normal thing for much of the world, including Europe. Though where I live (German speaking countries) we normally use a clothes horse (I just learned a new word Very Happy ), at least when living in a flat.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
Highest emissions due to the sheer number of people who live there, not due to bad energy practices. If you look at the carbon footprint of the average American it's 20 metric tons, for Chinese it's about 7, almost a third less.

That's something of a good point, though it doesn't change the fact that China's overall emissions are still twice that of the United States. And even if we were going by per capita emissions, the US appears to rank 7th, while South Korea, Taiwan and Japan don't trail far behind at 11th, 12th and 14th respectively. Western Europe ranks even lower, so I'm not sure that energy efficiency can really be pointed out as a uniquely Asian quality.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard it said that since it was culturally rooted that the Sun (= Amaterasu) "rules" Japan, drying your clothes out in the open air and sunshine was just considered more natural, even up through the still-traditional days before the War.
Not sure how many full-time housewives still work in Japan (where it's "selfish" to pursue a career after marriage), and have the time for housewife chores, but the dryer is still considered too much of a heretical Western luxury compared to the more natural and homestyle tradition.

As for why they string clothes on bamboo poles instead of clipping things on rope, that's probably also more traditional from what ancient houses used to have on hand.
It still doesn't answer the cultural-pun question, though, of why the "Bamboo poles for sale!" salesman always goes by in the background whenever Ryouga shows up in the Ranma 1/2 episodes.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hugh Mungus wrote:
I can confirm that in Canada, everybody uses driers. Even in apartments, where everybody has a mini-laundrymat in the basement

Here on the prairies, despite the dry air and warm summers, a sudden storm can come in and wet all those clothes all over again. And hanging them inside is just not a Canadian thing to do.

And for the cold winters, yeah you can forget about hanging it outside. Laughing
I am sorry, Hugh Mungus, but in rural Quebec & working-class neighbourhoods, it is pretty much still a thing. I dare say it could be the same elsewhere in Canada.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
That's something of a good point, though it doesn't change the fact that China's overall emissions are still twice that of the United States. And even if we were going by per capita emissions, the US appears to rank 7th, while South Korea, Taiwan and Japan don't trail far behind at 11th, 12th and 14th respectively. Western Europe ranks even lower, so I'm not sure that energy efficiency can really be pointed out as a uniquely Asian quality.

Although to be fair, that's the sort of thing that includes CO2 emissions from manufacturing, and some countries do manufacturing for products that are used in other countries, and some countries do less. (The US does have a lot of manufacturing.) There are lots of reasons to always be careful of these types of statistics, because small changes in what is studied can make a big difference. (For example, studies of "household electricity use" make the Northeast US look very energy efficient compared to the South-- until you realize that the Northeast uses lots of gas and heating oil for heat, whereas the South uses electricity for air conditioning and a lot of electric heat pumps for heating, so emissions and energy are different than electricity usage. The temperate West Coast is most efficient; then there's the secondary issues about how some places, like Canada and the Pacific Northwest, use a lot of clean hydroelectric power.)

For the basic issue mentioned in the article, yes, the US and Canada use clothes dryers at a much higher rate than the rest of the world, and they are pretty energy intensive, accounting for some 12% of household energy use. People in poverty in the US are more likely to have clothes dryers in their house than the median family in either wealthy European or Asian countries.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Seems to be mostly a North American thing. In Latin America, most people will hang clothes, simply because dryers are expensive as heck. Even in cold cities.

Ditto in Spain, and all Southern Europe, as far as I know. Dryers, while do exist, are expensive and energy-wasting machines (as opposed to the sun).
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, in Spain we do use dryers, however, they're very expensive to use, it's far cheaper to hang the clothes to dry. Now, when it comes to dry bedsheets, well, that's when they shine, or when one needs a specific dress. Beware though, when the electricity bill comes, you're down for some surprises...
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I've never been to Asia, but I know that clothes lines are also very common in Mexico too.
It may not be for the same reasons (mostly because people can't afford a dryer), but they are used there too..
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Omu wrote:
It always struck me as something American to dry all clothes in a dryer. Like other users here have already written: It's not a Japanese thing to use clothelines. I would say it's the normal thing for much of the world, including Europe. Though where I live (German speaking countries) we normally use a clothes horse (I just learned a new word Very Happy ), at least when living in a flat.

Americans know the price of everything and the cost of nothing.
Dryers are freaking expensive on the electricity bill (in any developped nation). Unless you live at the north/south poles or in some region of the earth that has a humidity rate of 97% or have a dry cleaning industrial company dryers simply aren't needed. Use the washing machine to wash the clothes and then put them up to dry on the clothesline. Wether you live in an apartment or own a villa the end result is the same. Dry clothes after 1-2 days.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Clotheslines where made illegal in many US states whether by home owner associations to make the area look tidy or by the local government to help the businesses that manufacture washers and dryers when they where often sold as a set in the 50's and 60's

Yep the USA is weird.

http://www.sightline.org/2012/02/21/clothesline-bans-void-in-19-states/
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
Also, in the UK, it's normal for working class to lower-middle class families to dry their clothes out for the same reasons that are mentioned in the article. Dryers are considered a luxury for most people.

Quite so! If you rent a room (i.e., if you were born after the 1970s) then it is likely you shall have to dry your garments in the old-fashioned way. I find that with some manoeuvring, my Sunday load is amply dry by Wednesday during the winter. There is a spray for the ensuing mould.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm in Australia and we've always used clotheslines too, but I imagine its different for apartment dwellers.

Have a drier, just that I basically only ever use it if I need to wash during wet weather.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
_Quasar_ wrote:
I'm in Australia and we've always used clotheslines too, but I imagine its different for apartment dwellers.

Have a drier, just that I basically only ever use it if I need to wash during wet weather.

Exactly, or if the clothes need to be done with haste. I guess not using a clothes line is an American or a European thing.

Also using the dryer too much can make your clothes shrink.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Why is it considered strange to hand your clothes out to dry, do Americans mostly use tumble dryers? They dry better on the line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6