• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 2-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Why did Japan not like some of the international favorites last season? Confused

I'm not sure I'd call Keijo and Flip Flappers international hits. Japan and America's taste isn't too different. Both Yuri on Ice and Re;Zero were popular on both sides, and the numbers for Keijo and Flip Flappers are pretty low on both sides.

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
Hey, I would like to an original anime that is a harem or an original wholesome or fan-service-heavy non-harem boy/girl romance anime pull YOI! sales figures. However, that is unlikely.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
CatSword wrote:
At least Flip Flappers is doing a little bit than Keijo...

Why did Japan not like some of the international favorites last season? Confused

Keijo is the most ridiculous show in the history

PD: Disney is the only winner in that list

I'm guessing you never actually watched Keijo or you would know that statement is just false.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
CatSword wrote:

I'm not sure I'd call Keijo and Flip Flappers international hits. Japan and America's taste isn't too different. Both Yuri on Ice and Re;Zero were popular on both sides, and the numbers for Keijo and Flip Flappers are pretty low on both sides.

-Stuart Smith

Just out of curiosity what are you basing American numbers off of? Neither series are available on bluray yet. Sorry if my question comes off as rude that is not my intention.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong so 50K overall sales + 7K BD sales this week combined for YOI right? that's already a promising number considering that $60 BD is so dem expensive I wont buy that surely even if it was released it in my country. And It's still ridiculous that B-Project's still selling... more powers also to Drifters... And Flappers' not doing great? maybe the fanboys are saving for the upcoming Fate/ series'? Surely 2017 is gonna be a war between the big sequels and AOT domination
jimoli5395

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
Those sales numbers for Flip Flappers are tragic. It was such a good show! Sad
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
jimoli5395 wrote:
Those sales numbers for Flip Flappers are tragic. It was such a good show! Sad

There is not even merchandise to buy. Went to Akihabara this weekend, didn't see a thing for Flip Flappers. The other fall shows had stuff. I was hoping to pick something up, but only got Magical Girl Raising Project stuff.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Sucks Flip Flappers flopped but thankfully Sentai Filmworks had grabbed it before the Fall season started. Plus, the show had a shaky but convulsive ending so it has rewatch value for me. I truly loved the visuals, bouncy animation, and the surrealist themes of the show and would love to place it on my shelf....Next to my BD import of Yuri on Ice vol 1 (it even came with a tiny bag!)

Would have loved some merch like a Cocona, Papika, and spoiler[Yayaka] Flip Flapping magical girl figure or key chain.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Such a shame that Flip Flappers didn't do well but its good to see Aikatsu Stars!
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I continue to be really happy for Drifters. What makes it really awesome is that this is not volume 1 or whatever - this is an actual BD box set that costs around 30-35k yen (~310 USD). So yes, it's impressive that YoI/etc. sell those numbers, but this one is its own category of awesome.

(If only this success inspired Hirano to just stop procrastinating...)

Kadmos1 wrote:

Edit - Oops, never mind, I misread the original post.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Just out of curiosity what are you basing American numbers off of? Neither series are available on bluray yet. Sorry if my question comes off as rude that is not my intention.
I just looked at the number of torrent downloads each series got for a quick gauge of interest in them.

-Stuart Smith
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I just looked at the number of torrent downloads each series got for a quick gauge of interest in them.

I highly doubt that torrenters are representative of the general anime watching populace anymore. Maybe they were five years ago, but nowadays if you're going to use piracy numbers to gauge interest in a series, you might as well use illegal streaming numbers.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
It's more than a little disheartening that two of the only shows I kept up with last season (and some of my favorites of 2016), Keijo and Flip Flappers, performed so poorly. Crying or Very sad Most of the anime I end up liking I've noticed don't end up selling that well, and even the few that actually do perform decent like Mob Psycho 100 are still just that: decent. Nothing nearly as impressive as Yuri's first volume sales. It's a cruel and thankless industry. Where are these guys' Patreon-esque donation platforms already? I want to give them my money.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

More than a little ironic, considering that Stalker is predicting that Girlish Number will sell ~1k per volume. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3