• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Masamune-kun's Revenge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
This show isn't that good but I kind of wanna keep watching just to see where it goes and how terrible these people can be. It's not a hate-watch, it's ambivalence-watching. Plus that part with the "sunuvabitch!" got me, I'll admit. Engrish in anime rarely fails to get a chuckle out of me.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
A wild love rival has appeared!
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the manga but somehow the anime isn't doing it for me. The jokes that I enjoyed in the manga seem to fall flat more often than not in the anime. Maybe it's just one of those series that somehow, despite all the plot devices that seem to scream "anime worthy", doesn't adapt well? I can't tell. I was super excited for the anime but now I feel like I might drop it.
I do like the music though; it's an interesting choice.

I hope people don't write the show off as some harem trash, especially with the introduction of Neko spoiler[because everyone basically gets flat out rejected by Masamune, thus destroying his own harem.]
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
Based off of what has gone down in the manga that’s been published in the states, I’m just excited for Neko. I still can’t really pin down exactly where they are going with her character, but that’s part of the fun.

Although maybe I’m a little disappointed deep down that the anime will spoil the manga, I knew it would happen eventually. The problem in this case is more that the manga has better execution of this material despite that the anime has been pretty faithful. It looks like this won’t stray from the manga anytime soon though, so we’ll just have to see what happens (although it most likely won’t ever diverge).

I’m too addicted to not watch though to be honest. I’m certainly not bored with the characters.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
After this episode, I'm thinking that Yoshino's endgame is breaking Aki out of her shell, rather than revenge. Enlisting Masamune's help and redirecting his revenge energies are part of it.

I have a hard time believing that someone who's trying to rattle a person with an old nickname they're trying to keep secret is being that altruistic. (Though I supposed she might have intended it as some kind of blackmail?)

Yoshino was a wildcard for me earlier in the series, but after ep 4 I'm inclined to believe that she's someone that knows all the angles of this relationship (altho not the new people) that is trying to "help" Aki (and as a side-benefit, Masamune). CLEARLY something happened between Aki & Masamune when they were kids and my interpretation is that both cared for each other very much but were forcibly split apart. (probably by her parents) Neither REALLY understood what happened (altho reasons for the confusion are as murky as the reason why it happened), so therefore Yoshino (as the devoted servant) is trying to "fix" things.

I think Yoshino uses his nickname because she wants to make it clear that SHE knows who he is and the whole "revenge fantasy" is how she gets him to trust her at this early stage. (she doesn't need Aki to trust her, since she already does) Yoshino's whole "I'm going to help you with revenge" is EXACTLY like her "I'll tell Aki what to wear", by which I mean its someone (with an admittedly twisted sense of humor) using the fact that the person she's talking to doesn't REALLY understand the thing that Yoshino is offering advice on. Masamune himself is already stopping to question what he REALLY wants.

And that's the point, Yoshino is trying to help both Aki & Masamune get what they WANT/need, rather than what they THINK they want. Incidentally, the mark of a GREAT servant is to anticipate what you need and provide it BEFORE you ask for it rather than waiting for you to realize it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
^
Um, I think you're forgetting that Aki is the one who called Makabe "Pig's Foot" back when they were kids, and that's what drove him away and into his revenge scheme. (Possible manga spoiler?* spoiler[Or at least that's what he believes happened, anyway.])

*- Haven't actually read the manga but have accidentally come across a couple of spoilers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yoshino is the star for me so far. I first thought that the new girl was Yoshino with her hair down/in a disguise based on the OP, but reading the comments here it seems like they are entirely different people.

Aki spoiler[seems to have a lot of guilt over the way she treated Masamune; at least, that is how I interpreted her internal monologue in episode 4. She seems to feel that she can't be/doesn't deserve to date others because of how that ended with her forcing him away.] Though that does still raise the question of why she is so harsh to everyone else who confesses.

She also very heavily reminds me of Suzutski from Mayo Chiki. I actually get a very Mayo Chiki vibe from this series as a whole, come to think of it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Though that does still raise the question of why she is so harsh to everyone else who confesses.

Because she said she wants people to hate her; she doesn't want to be in love with anyone because she's convinced they're going to betray her or lie to her.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Um, I think you're forgetting that Aki is the one who called Makabe "Pig's Foot" back when they were kids, and that's what drove him away and into his revenge scheme. (Possible manga spoiler?* spoiler[Or at least that's what he believes happened, anyway.])

Also have no read the manga. I noted that they clearly were split for SOME reason (and its pretty obvious the "actual" reason wasn't "Aki doesn't/didn't like him"). I'm sure Masamune THOUGHT she said/intended it in a mean way, but there was obviously something else at work there. Either way, that's irrelevant to Yoshino.
(Three items are clear and known from what we've seen)
* Yoshino KNOWS "Pigs Foot" was a name Aki gave to Masamune
* Yoshino knows Masamune "wants revenge"
* Yoshino has been with Aki since she & Masamune were kids/friends

We can INFER that Yoshino knows what happened between Aki & Masamune and further, we KNOW that Yoshino is more "street smart" than Aki, and is likely (despite appearance) more "emotionally intelligent" than Masamune. Also, based only on what we've seen from Eps 1-4, we can GUESS that whatever led to Aki & Masamune's split when they were kids was NOT wanted by either of the two kids.

Here's the 4 possibilities re: Yoshino's position:
* Yoshino knows (at LEAST) more than both Aki & Masamune of the actual circumstances and is trying to help them get back together because the split was "wrong"
* Yoshino knows what happened but it is irrelevant to whatever she's doing or she was directly complicit in it
* Yoshino doesn't know any more than Aki (who she was always with) but she wants to help her because she's seen that Aki was hurt badly
* Yoshino doesn't know any more than Aki and also wants to hurt her more for some reason

I'm dismissing the 4th option simply because (a) she's been a family servant all her life and I'd have to assume she'd have been removed long ago if she was ACTUALLY that malicious and (b) Masamune is a really bad instrument if that is her actual goal. Options 1 & 3 both mean she has no malicious intent towards Masamune (even when using the name) she just has a twisted sense of humor.

Option 2 is the only one that allows for her to be an "evil puppetmaster", but again, I don't see how she's in the position she is today if that's true.

In my opinion, the most reasonable assumption is that she's trying to "help" both of them, but is willing to throw in some small "humiliations" simply for her own amusement. But if she has their best interests at heart, she can always fall back on an "ends justify the means" line of defense.

EDIT: Also, he wasn't driven away BECAUSE he was called "Pig's foot" its more that that was something that happened WHEN he was pushed away. He was driven away, because he was rejected. And the central question is WHY was he rejected.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, even though this show is pretty trope-y and cliche, I kind of dig it. I suppose I'd call it a guilty pleasure, but at the same time it seems to be constantly teetering on this fine line of parodying said tropes and just simply rehashing them like countless other bottom of the barrel anime have done. I too hope that this new girl doesn't take the plot down the direction that a more predictable romance harem would, as the budding relationship between Aki and Masamune has actually been somewhat interesting to watch so far.

But the loli mom still bothers me! WTF is up with that?!?!
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
So the very last moment of episode 6 makes me think that spoiler[the reason he doesn't recognize Neko is that she also used to be overweight when she was younger. My theory is that after being rejected by Aki, she approached him but in his hurt he made some unkind comments about her own appearance and she resolved to lose weight because of that. Except while he did it through diet and exercise, she tried it via dietary supplements which did cause her to lose weight but have left her rather sickly.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
It's clear to me that Neko is trying to rope Masamune into becoming a Herbalife distributor. Wink

Quote:
why focus on Makabe in the same way as he sits down?

I almost pulled a still of that to ask that very question. I've seen this exact same pointlessly odd framing in other series and I can't fathom its purpose. It fails as fan service, it provides no information other than he's sitting down and he hasn't left his fly open - what's to be gained from it? Is it just to kill time with a second of effortless animation?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know if that's a spoiler since it's speculation, but...
Melicans wrote:
So the very last moment of episode 6 makes me think that spoiler[the reason he doesn't recognize Neko is that she also used to be overweight when she was younger.]

That would be amusingly ironic to explain why he doesn't remember her, considering his own thoughts on the issue.
Quote:
spoiler[Except while he did it through diet and exercise, she tried it via dietary supplements which did cause her to lose weight but have left her rather sickly.]

spoiler[Is she really sickly tho? The one real "indicator" we had of that (her coughing up "blood") was clearly a fake.]

To me the biggest question re: Fujinomiya is if her target is ACTUALLY Masamune or if she's fighting a "proxy war" with Aki through him. I mostly think its the former, but the way they frame all her "devious" scenes allows for the possibility of the latter.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This episode reminded me of the island visit in Haruhi.
melmouth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking this was dumb standard fare until I got to the post above by HeeroTX.
He went through all the possibilities as to what the servant girl is up to and what she knows that no-one else does, and I realized as he did so that this anime is saved by its mysteries on top of mysteries. It may not be very creative in some ways, but I'm now definitely watching it to the end to solve the mysteries!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5