• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interviews with Monster Girls

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:11 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
but you know, succubus-san being immature was the whole theme of the episode.

This episode is of course not meant to be a power point presentation for a under-graduate students aspiring to be teachers, but it is still trying to teach a lesson nonetheless, just that a different one, namely "becoming an adult doesn't automatically makes you a wise and self-controlled"
Which is fine. If future episodes show the fallout from the events in the second and third eps, specifically with the succubus teacher letting our MC know that his students might be getting the wrong idea about their relationships with him, and with him being a bit more careful to establish clear boundaries and not encourage those feelings in his students, then I'll admit that the show handled it well.

If the show continues to treat it like a moe fantasy with both adult teachers going along with it and feeding these girls' hopes unknowingly (as is possibly the case with the MC, though that would be pretty dense) or knowingly (as now must be the case with Ms Succubus, since she's had that conversation with her student), then I'll be uncomfortable.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I do hope that you guys are right, and the romantic aspects of the relationships between the lead and his students fade into the background, or get dealt with in a thoughtful way. If nothing else, I think the two teachers make a cute couple, so I want to see that actually develop!

It's fine. We've said our pieces, so all that remains is to watch the show and see where it goes. I have faith in that the show most likely won't do anything unseemingly, though, but if you don't want to take any chances watching it, you could always just read the episode reviews before watching either each episode or all of them. Well... if you haven't already decided to do so.

Personally, I hope the Succubus teacher and the main character hits it off too, but there's also a chance that nobody gets into a relationship in Demi-chan. Not to mention that Succubus-sensei kind of suffers a huge handicap when it comes to socializing with any male human being (except probably children.) She leads a very lonely life with an ungodly scedule. Waking up at 4am each morning? I have to get up at 5am every other week, and I feel that's severe enough. It's a wonder her mental faculties are working as well as they are, to be honest. I'd go insane if I had to wake up at that hour and then be mentally on guard every time I left my home.

Then again, the next episode will be about the snow girl, so.... I guess potential dates and/or love confessions will have to wait.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
The second and third episodes were a bit of a step down by centering more attention on the teacher and the girls potentially or actually crushing on him, but there were still strong sequences reminiscent of the first episode. Sure hope it's not gonna become any more haremy than it already is.

Valhern wrote:
Also, there was one thing I really liked when they were talking about yuki onna, the Mean Girl #1 said "KUSAkabe", reinforcing the "kusa" part almost sounding like "kuzo" (crap).
The more obvious pun is on kusa itself, which, in addition to being the word for "grass", is also a slangy contraction of kusai (smelly). It's a common way of contracting adjectives for forming compound words or exclamations: Kowa! (from kowai, scary); Zuru! (from zurui, unfair); kimokawa (from kimoi, gross + kawaii, cute), etc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
I certainly understand anyone who feels squicky based on some of the things that have been mentioned above. I am quite enjoying the show, but I could do very nicely without those things, too. In my case, I have a pretty strong, "sigh, that's anime for ya" filter that allows me to continue to enjoy a show as long as it's doing other things right.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also loved the way Tetsuo kept his composure around the succubus teacher until he got out of sight.

I did too, but what really made me laugh was the depiction of his reaction, like he'd just stuck his finger in an electrical outlet. Laughing

I'm also surprising myself at how much I like Hikari. I keep being annoyed by her antics, but she still keeps winning me over nonetheless.

I honestly don't see anything concerning in Takahashi's behavior, nor in the girls' fantasies about him. Teenage girls having a crush on an older guy, especially one that's "off limits," is pretty normal. As long as the teacher behaves like a responsible adult, which I think he has been, it's a safe way to navigate the emotions of first sexual attractions and fantasies, much like the purpose served by teen idols, most of whom aren't teens themselves, but in any case are generally out of reach. It's both an emotional outlet and a mental stage on which to practice becoming an adult without any real life consequences. I imagine boys do the same, but to a lesser degree, or at least a less public degree. It's only a problem when the teachers fail to be the grownup and remain out of reach. From what I've seen so far, I don't expect him to cross that line.

What I like is that he hasn't gotten all preachy at them about "appropriate targets for their affections" and "fulfilling relationships" while dismissing their feelings as not being real or mature enough. He's cut off their advances tactfully (insofar as he's aware of them as such) without being patronizing.

It's kind of hilarious to me that people think he should have recognized that carrying around a disembodied head was a date. How can you call it a date if they can't even be bothered to bring their body along? Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's kind of hilarious to me that people think he should have recognized that carrying around a disembodied head was a date. How can you call it a date if they can't even be bothered to bring their body along? Wink

I'm far too innocent to touch this one with any length of pole. I'll leave any puns involving the word "head" to other, less refined peeps.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
After episode 2 I knew that this series wasn't even going to bother to attempt to deal with the societal reaction to the demihumans. There you have out in broad daylight a mid 30s man walking around with the disembodied head of a young girl. And other than one slightly bewildered face among the many characters in the background, the show didn't even try to do anything. There are only 3 dullahan in the entire world and yet the teacher walking around and talking with a head had practically no reaction. Very disappointing.

Outside of a little bit of staring, what people would most likely "do" is whisper or say something out of earshot, just like people anywhere with anything unusual. While there's only three dullahan in the world, it's pretty clear that most people are aware of the demi humans in general. The show displays a bit of nasty gossip, but so far it seems to be more about well intentioned people who accidentally lack consideration or just don't know how to react. The dullahan's classmates uncomfortably avoiding the issue while still trying to be friendly is a very normal reaction. There's a barrier there that none of the parties like, but none of them know how to resolve exactly.

I think that is actually a more reasonable depiction of societal reaction than the screams of terror or so forth that many shows would go for. I suppose you should have a toddler point and say something to his mother who shushes him for one common enough stereotypical reaction. Otherwise it's the kind of thing that people face in reality.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have a pretty strong, "sigh, that's anime for ya" filter.

And that's the problem Blood-, you shouldn't have to. But anime producers know we have these filters so they often don't care to do better.

Look, I wa's suspicious of this show from the start just due to the set up. I've been in this anime watching business for a LONG time, (as have many others here). There should be no surprises here. We could all see it coming a mile away. Everything Megiddo mentioned, entirely forseeable. Can you really blame me for being cynical Theron?

This is definitely a more mild version of the typical harem set up, but it is absolutely a typical anime harem. You have the multiple diverse cute girls surrounding the singular eligible bachelor. You have each of the girls harboring some kind of romantic interest in him, whether conscious or subconscious. The guy, as always, is an unassuming and mostly blank everyman who acts innocently or indecisive to all of the interest he receives. He is the sole male of any real significance in the universe and has some amount of importance or authority (whether self appointed or not).

Yet, here's the thing. I don't hate the harem format. Some of these shows areally pretty good (although let's be honest a lot of them are pure schlock). I'm certainly no prude. If someone enjoys the harem fetish then more power to them! I just get annoyed when we are told "it's not really a harem" when it is one. (Also I obviously get very annoyed by very sloppily executed harem and fanservice shows, but that's a topic for another day.) Maybe this show can still do some interesting things. But let's stop pretending that this isn't a harem and judge it based on what it does with that.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I honestly don't see anything concerning in Takahashi's behavior, nor in the girls' fantasies about him. Teenage girls having a crush on an older guy, especially one that's "off limits," is pretty normal. As long as the teacher behaves like a responsible adult, which I think he has been, it's a safe way to navigate the emotions of first sexual attractions and fantasies, much like the purpose served by teen idols, most of whom aren't teens themselves, but in any case are generally out of reach. It's both an emotional outlet and a mental stage on which to practice becoming an adult without any real life consequences. I imagine boys do the same, but to a lesser degree, or at least a less public degree.

It's actually probably more blatant for boys, as there is already so much more sexual imagery targeted at males than females.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Maybe this show can still do some interesting things. But let's stop pretending that this isn't a harem and judge it based on what it does with that.

I don't think the question at this point is whether or not it's harem, but whether it's going to be harem-like or full-blown harem. I'm more feeling the former than the latter. And yes, this does matter because there's a very distinct difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
I do hope that you guys are right, and the romantic aspects of the relationships between the lead and his students fade into the background, or get dealt with in a thoughtful way. If nothing else, I think the two teachers make a cute couple, so I want to see that actually develop!

It's fine. We've said our pieces, so all that remains is to watch the show and see where it goes. I have faith in that the show most likely won't do anything unseemingly, though

Well, I wish I could have that same faith but I've seen this pattern way too many times to hold out for such miracles at this point. Granted, I don't expect this show to go to Monster Musume levels. This doesn't seem like that type of harem show. So if Theron was distinguishing between "heavy harem" as in extremely lewd fanservice schlock vs "harem like" which I'm just gonna call "light harem" which would be sexual tension, fantasizing and innuendo meant to mildly tease, then yes I agree this is light harem.

But if people were expecting this to be a totally serious show exploring the concept of interviewing demi humans and educating us all about their unique challenges in a totally "played straight" manner, it's time to let go of that naivete. The premise of "studying" cute monster girls is clearly an excuse for the author to fantasize about relationships with them, from a position of authority.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I imagine boys do the same, but to a lesser degree, or at least a less public degree.

It's actually probably more blatant for boys, as there is already so much more sexual imagery targeted at males than females.

But as far as I know, there is no and never was a male equivalent of Tiger Beat, Teen Beat, 16 or Bop (of these, only Tiger Beat is still around, but all made it into the 21st century). Also, girls are very well aware that actual boys can pressure them into things they know deep down they're not ready for, and I don't think boys harbor quite the same fears, so the appeal of perfect but unattainable celebrities is also different. But having never been a teenage boy, I couldn't say for sure. Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode two was thoroughly charming.
If there is anything to Kyoko's predicament that might endear the viewer to her plight for acceptance and normality, we were gratefully treated to it. True to the show's presumed cause, what begins as an odd character gimmick is afforded more dimension than one would expect: while she clearly sustains herself on affirmation from others, she also enjoys a certain agency, self-conception and independence that would be unusual of the moe stereotype after which she is seemingly modelled.

While Megiddo is correct to say that a wider focus on society is absent as of yet, Kyoko's feelings and concerns for herself are treated with too much care to flatly dismiss the writing. Still, it may be helpful to corroborate my views with others at this juncture. I would be interested to hear if anyone else contends that Kyoko aids the show's undercurrent of inclusivity, or conversely that her presentation attracts more lighthearted charm than any earnest empathy. I relish stories like this, you see, to the extent that my judgement is perhaps distorted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I have a pretty strong, "sigh, that's anime for ya" filter.

And that's the problem Blood-, you shouldn't have to. But anime producers know we have these filters so they often don't care to do better.

No, anime producers know their core Japanese otaku audience and create shows to appeal to them. They couldn't give a toss if non-Japanese otaku audiences have a filter or not. It's irrelevant. That's why I don't get all bent out of shape when an entertainment format which is not designed to accommodate my Western sensibilities, doesn't.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
No, anime producers know their core Japanese otaku audience and create shows to appeal to them. They couldn't give a toss if non-Japanese otaku audiences have a filter or not. It's irrelevant. That's why I don't get all bent out of shape when an entertainment format which is not designed to accommodate my Western sensibilities, doesn't.
I at least agree with you on that. I've probably already complained too much about what this show does that I don't like, but I wouldn't presume to say that they should change what they do to cater to my tastes rather than anyone else's.

My coping mechanism is different from yours though; where you might shrug, say "eh, anime," and then watch it for what it is (and I do that for certain anime tropes), when it comes to this particular thing which bothers me, I'll probably end up shrugging, saying "eh, anime," and then give up on this show and watch something else.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
@ steelmirror - which is fair enough, of course. We all have our various bugaboos. Something that may not ruffle you might be the proverbial straw for me and vice versa. I would never encourage anybody to stick with something that had elements that were really getting up your nose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12