• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film's 1st Trailer Shows Nat Wolff as Light

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
TenCentFang wrote:
Trailer looks awesome and the guy killing criminals being a white guy in the USA actually enhances the themes of vigilante justice being wrong.

Gemnist wrote:

I don't think it's so much a problem with the story or Muricanization as it is with the overall tone. Author's intent is important when making an adaptation, and changing the genre often isn't the way to go. The second half of the trailer seems to betray that, giving us edgy high school shots akin to a CW trailer and then depicting action sequences like Light running from the cops and hanging from a Ferris wheel

It seems perfectly in line with the random edgy symbolism Death Note has always indulged in.

Yeah,am always confused when people talk about Death Note as being extremely smart themes,when it's extremely black and white or on the nose with it,something that this adaptation can improve on. I myself have no issue with Hollywood taking a foreign story and doing their own thing with it as long as it's good (the original Magnificent Seven is a great example of this).

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Until Blair Witch, I was actually pretty optimistic about Wingard's ability. Then Blair Witch happened and now a trailer that looks like someone was a big fan of Hackers (1995) aesthetic ... Embarassed

Kind of the opposite with Ghost in the Shell, where the visuals are mostly gorgeous (that sequence with Sarjo in the white suit in the rain comes off too artificial to me) but I have no faith in the director.
iceblast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
What a crappy trailer, of all the things they could have shown, and half of it is just a bunch of random things that tell you nothing, makes no sense, and in no way makes you want to watch it.

Watch the the last live action Death Note that came out in 2015 I believe, that did an incredible job with it, I liked it better than the anime.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Not even slightly surprised or disappointed with the thread, but personally, this looks like one hell of a good time. I love the original, it's one of my favorite anime, but this looks like an amusing pile of Hollywoodness that will almost definitely be incredibly entertaining. I do think there is a bit more to Death Note than detractors like to say, but I don't mind something that is just an edgy teen Hollywood action flick either.
(maybe it's just because of Dafoe, but I kind of got some Toby Maguire Spiderman vibes from this. Which makes me happy as well)
solitude03

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
L is my favorite in death note. L characteristic dies with the cast. His pale white skin, dark eye bag gives so much to his character that makes him look eccentric.

They might be changing a lot characteristics and all.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
God that trailer just screams "Made by Netflix"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Some of the color saturation choices are a bit much but the rest looks promising. They nailed the atmosphere too. I proceed with caution optimism but they can´t have Kira fall in love for real. That lustful kiss was my only eyebrow raise. Bonus point for being immediately recognizable to the source material too, as i expected more changes from the ground up.

What a cast btw. Fascinating to see who is now willing to do "tv". The budget is between 40 to 50 mil. too. Most of a season of House of Cards can be filmed with that amount.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tarik Loq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna turn bad again. America really cant share the same vision as Japan..only character that resembles one actor is Ryuk.

America..hire some japanese people for this shit. Your visions suck.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Tarik Loq wrote:
This is gonna turn bad again. America really cant share the same vision as Japan..only character that resembles one actor is Ryuk.

America..hire some japanese people for this shit. Your visions suck.

Yeah because only the japanese can adapt manga/anime into good live action works.....which is why people didn't care for the Attack On Titan film and apparently why the Diamond Is Unbreakable trailer has a huge number of dislikes.

Also don't know why they would need to "share" Japan's vision when they've already adapted Death Note multiple times.
PercivaI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
iceblast wrote:
What a crappy trailer, of all the things they could have shown, and half of it is just a bunch of random things that tell you nothing, makes no sense, and in no way makes you want to watch it.

Watch the the last live action Death Note that came out in 2015 I believe, that did an incredible job with it, I liked it better than the anime.

Teaser
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This feels more like a teaser, so I'm expecting more of them before its release. But I like that it presents the premise and the ensuing chaos. I think they want to hook those that don't know the manga very well. On a good day, the only thing in this trailer that bothers me is the shot of Light on the ferris wheel. I don't remember this ever happening. I'm fearful it might be their attempt to hastily condense the story to fit a one-off 2-hour flick. Stuff like this would kill the nuanced thriller appeal as well as L and Light's rivalry in the manga.

Other than that, I'm liking it a lot. Willem Dafoe is definitely a highlight. From what they let us see, I can also adjust to the cultural changes. That being said, I'm not a fan of those bashing this because of white-washing. What do you expect, them to hire an all-Asian cast set in Japan that happen to all speak English? No one would buy this product, and neither would you. The cultures clash too much. The real problem is when they eliminate the jobs of colored actors, which doesn't seem like one yet.
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Another one of those "this shouldn't have been made" moments,...
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading about it being originally released in theaters with an R rating, but decided to stream it instead. I also still remember the rumors years ago about hiring Gus Van Sant to direct it when the idea was first announced.
KASHIMSSKNEO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
So nobody care about the portrayal of "L", it would have been better to create a new character if they wanted to add this black dude, but what the hell, they dont care what fans think, they turn "L" into a completely different one.

This remind me the controversy of the Alter emiya in fate grand order when released weeks ago.
Laughing
#sukkar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
KASHIMSSKNEO wrote:
So nobody care about the portrayal of "L", it would have been better to create a new character if they wanted to add this black dude, but what the hell, they dont care what fans think, they turn "L" into a completely different one.

This remind me the controversy of the Alter emiya in fate grand order when released weeks ago.
Laughing

L's actor has a pretty impressive resume for a newer actor. If they're going to replace Asian actors, might as well get someone who's talented and charismatic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5